can tru Johnson be our version of richard sherman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
They are about the same size and speed I think tru will eventually be elite and will take Cortland spot permanently

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
IDK about that, but I'd love to seen Finnegan at safety. Tru has earned his spot in my eyes. Cortland is a strong run defender and blitzer, too.

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel if him and janoris pressed more and had finny over the top we would be a better secondary rather than play off and let teams get 5 here 10 there 20 here.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO Trumain Johnson has already taken Cortland Finnegan's position on this 2013 team. No way that Cortland has enough skills & talent to push TJ back out of that starters post. As far as TJ being our Richard Sherman type mouth piece ..... :hellzno: I sure hope not But TJ can be a sure Ram long range solution in fulfilling the Rams needs at one starting corner. TJ & JJ provide us the best young set of corners since the days of Perry & Thomas of Rams past.

Now as far as Finnegan playing safety?? The Rams have four young safeties on our roster now. The future looks very good with McLeod & McDonald as our starters. Darian Stewart & Cody Davis are also young decent back ups & Giordano is also a good back up. Sure Finnegan could play safety like he did in college...aging older heavier slower CB's with veteran savvy & game knowledge usually can take their remaining talents to the deep zones @ safety... but do you really want him starting with Rodney McLeod right now? Not so sure he could beat out either of the Ram starters.

I guess one could try to merit up some type of arguement on the behalf of Cortland being a temporary starter in TJ McDonald's starting spot if there were a need, is there?.

That would mean Fisher would send Darian Stewart to the bench. Darian does have issues & looks rusty from missing most of last season, all of 2013 OTA's, TC & pre season & the first 3 regular seasons. When Stewart is right (which he is not currently) he brings a much better run defense to the field that Finnegan could never come close too.

Rams have replaced Cortland with two second season players. Trumaine Johnson took over his place in the base defense @ CB post, that is a positive. Rodney McLeod took over for Cortland in the Nickle defense, that's a positive. Can you tell me how these two beforementioned DB's have been hurtful to our team the last two weeks? :huhidk:

Please tell me why would you want to put Cortland back on the field? :domg: Reserve safety Giordano is the Dime back since Cortland went to the sideline. I would prefer Giordano over Cortland in the Dime position myself.

Truthfully the Cortland Finnegan contract :rules: is a very serious issue. This Ram season alone the Org. has paid him $9 million in base salary, $5 million roster bonus guaranteed for skill and injury, One million salary bonus for a total of 15 million cost this year. About 18 mi in dead money. Ton of $$ tied up in a player who absence on the field the last two games helped us win.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Me: I'm not ready to toss Finnegan to the curb after a short stretch of games in which the ENTIRE secondary looked bad.

He's too good of a player to have "lost it" so suddenly. I think the excessive off-coverage early in the year messed with him and the entire unit.

fearsomefour

Legend
BonifayRam said:
IMO Trumain Johnson has already taken Cortland Finnegan's position on this 2013 team. No way that Cortland has enough skills & talent to push TJ back out of that starters post. As far as TJ being our Richard Sherman type mouth piece ..... :hellzno: I sure hope not But TJ can be a sure Ram long range solution in fulfilling the Rams needs at one starting corner. TJ & JJ provide us the best young set of corners since the days of Perry & Thomas of Rams past.

Now as far as Finnegan playing safety?? The Rams have four young safeties on our roster now. The future looks very good with McLeod & McDonald as our starters. Darian Stewart & Cody Davis are also young decent back ups & Giordano is also a good back up. Sure Finnegan could play safety like he did in college...aging older heavier slower CB's with veteran savvy & game knowledge usually can take their remaining talents to the deep zones @ safety... but do you really want him starting with Rodney McLeod right now? Not so sure he could beat out either of the Ram starters.

I guess one could try to merit up some type of arguement on the behalf of Cortland being a temporary starter in TJ McDonald's starting spot if there were a need, is there?.

That would mean Fisher would send Darian Stewart to the bench. Darian does have issues & looks rusty from missing most of last season, all of 2013 OTA's, TC & pre season & the first 3 regular seasons. When Stewart is right (which he is not currently) he brings a much better run defense to the field that Finnegan could never come close too.

Rams have replaced Cortland with two second season players. Trumaine Johnson took over his place in the base defense @ CB post, that is a positive. Rodney McLeod took over for Cortland in the Nickle defense, that's a positive. Can you tell me how these two beforementioned DB's have been hurtful to our team the last two weeks? :huhidk:

Please tell me why would you want to put Cortland back on the field? :domg: Reserve safety Giordano is the Dime back since Cortland went to the sideline. I would prefer Giordano over Cortland in the Dime position myself.

Truthfully the Cortland Finnegan contract :rules: is a very serious issue. This Ram season alone the Org. has paid him $9 million in base salary, $5 million roster bonus guaranteed for skill and injury, One million salary bonus for a total of 15 million cost this year. About 18 mi in dead money. Ton of $$ tied up in a player who absence on the field the last two games helped us win.

I like Finnegan trying to earn time at S next year. You are assuming that both McDonald and McLeod perform at a high level....a big "if". What is the worst case scenario with taking this approach with Cortland? He offers experience, leadership and depth (providing depth at both S and CB) to a very young secondary. The worst idea would be cutting him and having a ton of dead money vs. the cap with no return. He has not been good this year but I think the guy still can have value with the team. A group of safeties like McDonald, McLeod with veteran depth like Cortland and Giordano and S could be a big strength while allowing the young talent at CB (Jenkins, Johnson and a high round draft pick next year) more time on the field. Stewart is the odd man out to me....cant stay healthy, plays inconsistantly on the rare occasions he can get on the field and is earning $1M a year.
I also dont think he has just lost his ability to play this year.

Graphicker

Starter
Tru has a better chance of being Kam Chancellor than he does Sherman. You are talking about a number 1 lock down corner.
Only Revis is close to the play of Sherman.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
BonifayRam said:

I was looking up the Finnegan dilemma the other day. I found this and I think its close.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Rams&Year=2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?T ... &Year=2014</a>

They are stuck with him this year, but in 2014 his position on the team can be revisited. Save 4 mil. on the cap if he is cut. Or he could be restructured.

I'm a big fan of what he brings to the team and I hope he regains his form but it's TJ's job now. If CF plays again this year it would be as the dime or nickle.
If they want to try him at Safety next year that's fine, but not for 10 Mil per. For that kind of folding money the Rams could get the best Safety in the game.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
CGI_Ram said:
Me: I'm not ready to toss Finnegan to the curb after a short stretch of games in which the ENTIRE secondary looked bad.

He's too good of a player to have "lost it" so suddenly. I think the excessive off-coverage early in the year messed with him and the entire unit.
I'm witcha Cape Garage Door

However I do think Finny WILL end his career as a pretty damn good safety ALA Aeneas W

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Pro Football Focus gave our game ball to Trumaine Johnson for shutting down Andre Johnson. Rated him as his best game of the year after struggling the last few weeks.

If he can continue development he might be that big physical corner we are crying out for!

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/14/refo-rams-at-texans-week-6/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ns-week-6/</a>

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Tru has been solid and I am impressed with him. If Finn does not stepp up this year he gonna have to lose his job. Hate to toss guy to the side but he needs to get back to his game.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Tru has a lot of upside and he is definitely on the up swing. It's only a matter of time before he's starting for good over Cort.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Fin has a good run but he seems tobe losing his skills. Of course I hope I am wrong. Funny how pass defense has been better last few weeks with him out.

jap

Legend
I have been proposing that Finnegan take his skills to centerfield from since early off-season. He is making too much coin to sit, and Tru handles bigger receivers better.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
GreeneCounty said:
Fin has a good run but he seems tobe losing his skills. Of course I hope I am wrong. Funny how pass defense has been better last few weeks with him out.
How much of his play this year was due to his injury and he kept trying to play and help get a win

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rabid Ram said:
GreeneCounty said:
How much of his play this year was due to his injury and he kept trying to play and help get a win

"The Thigh Injury".....when did this alleged Thigh Injury first appear?? Was it week one or week two or week three? If we can recall from all our partying ongoing during the Chat room when we were all commenting during the Chat room from week one that Finnegan was having issues he continued to have more issues week two and guess what he had a real bad game against Dallas. No mention of any "Thigh Injury" @ any time during those games.

OK now the First Quarter of the 4th game with the 9ers he was continuing with the same type of play that he displayed in weeks one thru three....he walked off the field and sat down no limping no hobble no nothing....then we heard later for the first time that our starting CB Finnegan had a thigh injury and would not return. Then Finnegan came out officially for the first time on week five NFL injury list that Finnegan has a Thigh injury.

Are we assuming that the Thigh injury was there from week one ? If not ....what was his issues. Some have said that he has issues with the new 2013 Walton/Fisher defense which will not permit him to be up close, fiery & and pesty in the back side of his man. if that is the case then somebody has to change. Personally I like the way the defense played in 2012 myself.

Its hard for some of us to deal with such clear facts about the very fact that since Finnegan has been absent from the field the Rams have won two games in a row. If you want to look at it another way you could say the same about our starting safety McDonald too. Am I really being UNfare & way too hard on Finnegan.

Moving Finnegan to Safety??? If we are going to pay 50 million for a starting safety would it be better to go out & get a bonified all pro safety like the Bills Jairus Byrd instead.

iced

BonifayRam said:
Rabid Ram said:
GreeneCounty said:

"The Thigh Injury".....when did this alleged Thigh Injury first appear?? Was it week one or week two or week three? If we can recall from all our partying ongoing during the Chat room when we were all commenting during the Chat room from week one that Finnegan was having issues he continued to have more issues week two and guess what he had a real bad game against Dallas. No mention of any "Thigh Injury" @ any time during those games.

OK now the First Quarter of the 4th game with the 9ers he was continuing with the same type of play that he displayed in weeks one thru three....he walked off the field and sat down no limping no hobble no nothing....then we heard later for the first time that our starting CB Finnegan had a thigh injury and would not return. Then Finnegan came out officially for the first time on week five NFL injury list that Finnegan has a Thigh injury.

Are we assuming that the Thigh injury was there from week one ? If not ....what was his issues. Some have said that he has issues with the new 2013 Walton/Fisher defense which will not permit him to be up close, fiery & and pesty in the back side of his man. if that is the case then somebody has to change. Personally I like the way the defense played in 2012 myself.

Its hard for some of us to deal with such clear facts about the very fact that since Finnegan has been absent from the field the Rams have won two games in a row. If you want to look at it another way you could say the same about our starting safety McDonald too. Am I really being UNfare & way too hard on Finnegan.

Moving Finnegan to Safety??? If we are going to pay 50 million for a starting safety would it be better to go out & get a bonified all pro safety like the Bills Jairus Byrd instead.

Finnegan has had the thigh injury for awhile.

I think he sustained it at the Miami Game last year - I remember asking him about it, and thinking his answer was bull shit "He said he was fine" , but not in a very convincing matter...

I could be wrong and it could have been the Tampa Game (which would make more sense since it was toward the end of the year)

...I don't see a reason to shell out big bucks for Bird - Bills won't do it for a reason, dudes made of glass... (as my bills friend says on a repeated basis about his team lol)

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
BonifayRam said:
Rabid Ram said:
GreeneCounty said:

Just because YOU didn't see him hurt doesn't mean it didn't exist. A player of courts caliber doesn't just fall off so bad for no reason. It'd sounds to me like you think his thigh injury is an act to cover bad play. You have your view it have mine

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
iced said:
Finnegan has had the thigh injury for awhile.

I think he sustained it at the Miami Game last year - I remember asking him about it, and thinking his answer was bull shyte "He said he was fine" , but not in a very convincing matter...

I could be wrong and it could have been the Tampa Game (which would make more sense since it was toward the end of the year)

...I don't see a reason to shell out big bucks for Bird - Bills won't do it for a reason, dudes made of glass... (as my bills friend says on a repeated basis about his team lol)

No, I not an advocate of spending anything close to that amount of cap $$ on any safety either.. or on any DB. However you sent me back to last season and I found this...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/12/21/3793402/rams-vs-buccaneers-injury-report-cortland-finnegan-questionable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/12/21/37 ... estionable</a>

This is back on 12-21-2012 that's a while back now for that injury to be still ongoing...? Chronic? This information helps me out on this. i knew he had several injuries lst yr but had no ideal that it was serious enough to linger well into this season. Plus we have no ideal if its the same thigh or the same injury either. Interesting...

Either way thank iced.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rabid Ram said:
Just because YOU didn't see him hurt doesn't mean it didn't exist. A player of courts caliber doesn't just fall off so bad for no reason. It'd sounds to me like you think his thigh injury is an act to cover bad play. You have your view it have mine

True will not argue against your first sentence. I just stated my factual observations. I will say this that I have seen fast declining player performance many times throughout the many decades I have watched & absorbed the NFL.

I have no doubts that Finnegan has a bad thigh. What I said was there was no mention of any injury to Finnegan this season before the Dallas game. Now as iced pointed out that something happened to a Finnegan thigh back in 2012. Right now I find this thigh injury very interesting & at the same time very concerning with what the Rams have invested in him.