Can the St. Louis Rams Make the Playoffs?/NumberFire

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Can the St. Louis Rams Make the Playoffs?
by Joey Keys

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/6604/can-the-st-louis-rams-make-the-playoffs#

After a 10-year playoff drought, the Rams look to be in the postseason hunt.

With rumors swirling about a potential move to Los Angeles, the St. Louis Rams are playing some of their best football in years. For the Rams, these standards are set pretty low, so just playing .500 football is an accomplishment for a team that hasn’t made the playoffs since 2004.

The only three teams to have longer playoff droughts than the Rams are the Buffalo Bills, Oakland Raiders, and Cleveland Browns -- a less than exclusive list no franchise wants to be a part of.

After finishing 2-14 in 2011, Jeff Fisher was brought in after a year away from coaching to turn things around in St. Louis. Fisher quickly was able to field a better product, pushing the Rams to a 7-8-1 finish in 2012.

Ultimately, though, Fisher has brought the same thing to St. Louis that he left in Tennessee: yearly mediocrity that is good enough to be competitive but not quite good enough to be a perennially division winning threat.

Throughout his career Fisher has proven to be the face of mediocrity among NFL head coaches. In his 21 year coaching career, Fisher has amassed 165 wins, 150 losses, and 1 tie for a win percentage of .524. In 19 full seasons as a head coach, he has made the playoffs just six times.

When you are franchise like the Rams, a glimmer of hope to make the playoffs and fielding a competitive team is an improvement.

Where They Stand Now

Sitting in second place in the NFC West at 3-3, the Rams' playoff chances are still alive.

Our algorithms here at numberFire give the Rams a 17.9% chance at the division crown. At 5-2, the Cardinals have a commanding 73.3% likelihood, flying high once again with Carson Palmer under center and Bruce Arians’ offensive magic.

The odds are not in the Rams' favor for a division title, so a playoff opportunity likely lies in a wild card berth.

A playoff berth is within reach, but there are multiple NFC teams in contention. There are 10 teams in the NFC with playoff chances currently in the double digits.

Team Playoff Probability Percentage
Carolina Panthers 99.2
Green Bay Packers 97.4
Atlanta Falcons 96.4
Arizona Cardinals 86.4
Philadelphia Eagles 45.2
Minnesota Vikings 40.0
New York Giants 37.7
St. Louis Rams 36.8
Seattle Seahawks 19.9
New Orleans Saints 12.2

With over half a season remaining and seven teams in the NFC with three or four wins, it’s going to be a tight race to close out the season.

Upcoming Schedule

The Rams' upcoming opponents are a combined 28-38. According to our power rankings, the Rams face just four teams in the top 15 and six outside the top 20. The Rams currently rank 12th with a nERD score of 3.14, meaning that, against an average team on a neutral field, the Rams would be expected to win by roughly a field goal.

Not that the Edward Jones Dome gives much of a home field advantage, but the Rams play half their remaining games at home. Rams’ fans have left many seats empty this season. According to ESPN, the Rams have the second worst attendance on the season. Whether it's because of an average product, an outdated dome, or protest toward Stan Kroenke's flirting with a move to Los Angeles, Rams fans haven't shown up.

The schedule works towards the Rams' favor, but they have failed to capitalize against lesser opponents before.

The Defense

The Rams have built a formidable defense around defensive ends Chris Long and Robert Quinn, and linebackers James Laurinaitis and Alec Ogletree. Ogletree was injured in a Week 4 win versus Arizona but still leads the team in tackles at 55. Out until December, he was placed on injured reserve-designated to return this week.

Long on talent up front, the Rams have stocked up through the draft and free agency since Fisher and defensive coordinator Greg Williams' arrival.

The defense currently ranks 10th in points allowed per game at 19.8 and 12th in yards per game at 351.2. Ranked better than the raw statistics show, the Rams are third in Adjusted Defensive NEP based on our algorithms.

The Rams have done enough on defense to keep the team in the game. It has been offense, specifically the aerial attack, that has been problematic.

Can Gurley Save the Offense?

The Rams offense is one of the worst in the NFL, ranking 31st in points per game at 18.0, and 31st in yard per game at 298.8. Acquired in an offseason trade that shipped former number one overall pick quarterback Sam Bradford to the Philadelphia Eagles, quarterback Nick Foles has been unable to revive the greatest show on turf.

Through six games, Foles has thrown for 200 passing yards just once and had just one game with more than one touchdown. Foles has been so bad that his -0.13 Passing NEP per drop back ranks last out of 32 quarterbacks with at least 100 pass plays on the season.

Fortunately for the Rams, it appears they may have found the next great NFL running back in 10th overall pick, Todd Gurley. Since returning from a torn ACL that caused him to miss the entire preseason and the first two weeks of the regular season, Gurley has been on a tear.

After playing limited snaps in his Week 3 return, Gurley has put the offense on his back. In the last three weeks, Gurley has averaged 6.4 yards per carry, averaged 144.3 rushing yards per game, and scored 2 touchdowns on the ground. Out of 42 running backs with at least 50 carries, Gurley ranks fourth with a Rushing NEP per carry at 0.12. The Rams are 2-1 when Gurley rushes for over 125 yards. A small sample size to be sure, but his impact on the offense is evident.

If the Rams can get more production from the passing game, the offense should improve on the early-season struggles with Gurley as the focal point.

Playoff Bound?

The defense is one of the best in the league and the offense is much improved with Gurley, but the Rams still face an uphill battle. Pending a late season meltdown, the NFC South is likely to send both the Falcons and Panthers to the playoffs, leaving just one wild card spot available. In their own division the Seahawks aren’t going away and should make a strong push as well.

Gurley and the defense will do their part, but the Rams need better quarterback play from Foles. To remain in playoff contention, the Rams have to get more from their offense and capitalize on a favorable schedule.

The Rams definitely can make the playoffs, but whether they will make the necessary improvements remains to be seen.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Not that the Edward Jones Dome gives much of a home field advantage, but the Rams play half their remaining games at home.

Says the person who hasn't been to a Rams home game. Announcers at the Seattle game said it was the loudest they've ever heard it. Against the Browns it was definitely loud.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Loving this team

They are the youngest team in football and it's fun to see them celebrate after big plays. Veteran teams nearly shake hands and think about the next series. They mobbed Gurley a little bit on his first TD. Robinson all but tackled him after the second one. That energy and enthusiasm is special. It's the beginning of this team really believing in itself. Confidence is so important for such a young group and especially a freshly assembled offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One game at a time man. Get this W against SF and start building that record above .500 that's all I care about right now. Blowout, ugly win, I don't care. Just don't come out flat and lose.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"F" this ^ guy and his "Algorithms" too!! The Rams will be going to the Play-offs PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS GUY WANTS ME TO APPLY THIS ...
Troll Spray.jpg
SO HERE IT GOES..

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the Cardinals are a commanding favorite? really? After the Cards bye, we'll even up with number of games and if both teams win up to that point, we'll only be one game back...If so, we control our own destiny because we'll have a game vs the Cards at home....We sweep them we win a tie breaker if so at the end...WE CONTROL OUR DESTINY..DO IT!

Leave No Doubt!

jap

Legend
So the Cardinals are a commanding favorite? really? After the Cards bye, we'll even up with number of games and if both teams win up to that point, we'll only be one game back...If so, we control our own destiny because we'll have a game vs the Cards at home....We sweep them we win a tie breaker if so at the end...WE CONTROL OUR DESTINY..DO IT!

Leave No Doubt!

As you indicated, the Cards are up one and a half games above us---no more! I guess this writer simply doesn't believe in the Rams even though we beat the Cards in their own house. They have to win at the Dome to split with us against a more confident and (possibly) healthier TGII and what should be an improved Horns OL. If we win all the games in between now and then and whup them too, even if they win out before they lose to us, we would own the tie-breaker over them. (Of course, the Bengals game in Week Twelve is not exactly a joke!)

dcramfan

UDFA
Something that I do agree with the article on is, Foles HAS TO play better for us to make the playoffs. At some point Gurley isn't going to be enough, and at this point I have zero confidence in Foles or the receivers. I definitely think we can make the playoffs but for me it is looking a little iffy if the pass game stays as bad as it has been so far.

fearsomefour

Legend
If the Rams beat SF that Vikings game becomes a huge game with play off implications....that is not an easy game. On the road vs a young talented team that can stop the run. First things first, beat SF, get to 4-3, then go to Minnesota and make a statement.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The Cardinals are a well rounded team but with lesser talent in most areas. Their passing game is better.

However, they have yet to beat a good a team and they have a much more challenging schedule after their bye. I can't tell if they are good or the best of the average. They have the real potential of a crash after the bye.

Seattle is the same in that they can't win the harder games but if they fix their o-line woes, they are still the Seahawks that went to the SB.

Either one or both could put up a challenge in taking the NFCW or both could prove to be unable to win enough tough games.

We need these next 4 and we need to take our passing game to the next level. Otherwise the NFCW is a toss up between 3 also rans.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
If the Rams beat SF that Vikings game becomes a huge game with play off implications....that is not an easy game. On the road vs a young talented team that can stop the run. First things first, beat SF, get to 4-3, then go to Minnesota and make a statement.

We need to stop taking out opposing QBs and players right before they play the Cardinals. The Cards are surfing our wake.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Says the person who hasn't been to a Rams home game. Announcers at the Seattle game said it was the loudest they've ever heard it. Against the Browns it was definitely loud.
You and I (and a bunch of us on this site) know how loud it was against Seattle even when the seats weren't full.

That said, I sure would like to see the GSOT days when the dome was full and completely rocking.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
The Cardinals are a well rounded team but with lesser talent in most areas. Their passing game is better.

However, they have yet to beat a good a team and they have a much more challenging schedule after their bye. I can't tell if they are good or the best of the average. They have the real potential of a crash after the bye.

Seattle is the same in that they can't win the harder games but if they fix their o-line woes, they are still the Seahawks that went to the SB.

Either one or both could put up a challenge in taking the NFCW or both could prove to be unable to win enough tough games.

We need these next 4 and we need to take our passing game to the next level. Otherwise the NFCW is a toss up between 3 also rans.
Seahawks twice, Bengals, Vikings, Packers, @Eagles, and of course vs. Rams in the dome. All of these teams are better than anyone they've beaten....

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
vikes weigh heavy on my mind as that and Bengals will be our toughest games in the season. We made many a break and also got one break on an early whistle that could have changed the game and we play Division teams as hard as we can play and AO was on fire against cards in phoenix. Two very good offensive teams . I as many want to strike while the iron is hot(AS They Say). Hard heavy days ahead. Love the Focus has returned to "FAST START" as we can't have another browns start with better teams. Even tho I think the browns have more talent in certain spots than they get credit for as their win over ravens in OT and loss with Broncos in OT.

I'm counting on Donald and Brockers to be the nut NO TEAM can crack. Glad for our depth too. Many corners to make first , so one game at a time. NO MORE INJURIES!!!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The playoff percentages are dead on IMO...

If we win Sunday and then beat Minnesota, those percentages flip and it's us ahead of them and the Giants. But seeing as the game is in Minny, I agree with those percentages right now.

The Giants are only that high because they have a chance to win a weak division IMO.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor

could you imagine the volume with a full house ? that would be advantageous.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Something that I do agree with the article on is, Foles HAS TO play better for us to make the playoffs. At some point Gurley isn't going to be enough, and at this point I have zero confidence in Foles or the receivers. I definitely think we can make the playoffs but for me it is looking a little iffy if the pass game stays as bad as it has been so far.
cook needs to step it up. the Oline needs to cut down mistakes as well.

Limey

Rookie
The Cards will struggle over the last few games after Barron puts Palmer out for the season in our win at the Ed.