Can the Rams Pull Off Another 2012 NFL Draft in 2013?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Anthony Blake
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/26/can-the-st-louis-rams-pull-off-another-2012-nfl-draft-in-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/2 ... t-in-2013/</a>

Snead_Feature_Combine13_420_310.jpg

Arguably the biggest difference between the St. Louis Rams of years past from the version that hit the field in 2012 (aside from their coach) was their rookie class. Several players in their first years contributed in a major way to the team’s success a year ago as would be expected from the NFL’s youngest roster. The man pulling the strings to orchestrate that phenomenal draft class was General Manager Les Snead. How can he duplicate that type of performance this April?

First things first, the Rams (thankfully) don’t have as many holes this time around as they did 12 months ago. As Snead said in an interview just a month or so ago, this year will be more about ‘wants’ and less about ‘needs’. That signals a real change in philosophy for the team heading into the upcoming draft and really has fans wondering just what the Rams may decide to do.

As for positions that have glaring deficiencies, safety headlines most lists for the Rams as no starters return at the position from a year ago. The same can be said for the wide receiver position though as well as running back. While the youth at the latter two positions leads one to believe that the team is much more content with those situations, what if they really aren’t?

One player that keeps coming up when pondering the possibilities for the Rams is Eddie Lacy, running back from Alabama. He certainly looks the part at 5’11” 231lbs. and many liken him to now former Rams ball carrier Steven Jackson in that regard. His build is ideal as a workhorse back and his patient running style as well as his fondness for contact make him a S-Jax clone. What if the Rams added Lacy given Snead’s ‘wants’ over ‘needs’ comments and put him in the backfield with their other youngsters to make a trio of dynamic backs?

Given the upgrades that the Rams have made already with tight end Jared Cook and left tackle Jake Long in free agency, it’s safe to say the offense is already much more dynamic on paper than it was last year. Having another back in the stable would only add to that increase in fear that opposing defenses will feel in the coming season.

What drafting Lacy would also do is it would allow the Rams to trade down in the first round and perhaps acquire an additional second round pick. In a draft this deep, Snead and company would love to have as many picks as possible in the second, third, and even fourth rounds. That is where this club will really find some hidden gems as demonstrated last year with Janoris Jenkins and Chris Givens.

While it’s easy to see that the Rams are much better off now than they were a year ago at this time, the strategy may be very similar in the upcoming draft. It would behoove the Rams to stockpile picks in the mid to later rounds and really hoard some talent to develop during the offseason. There is no reason to think the 2013 draft class can’t be just as good, if not better, than the 2012 version.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't want to get "cute" with these draft picks.

You got 16 and 22. That's the heart of this draft.

Say what you want... but the further down you go the higher the "miss rate". It's a fact.

The Rams did well last year... But don't force a sequel.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I might be in the minority here, but I think there are just way better options than going Lacy. He's a good back, for sure. But I think Pead, while not being the bruiser Lacy is, will really be much better this year. Plus, we have 2 more first round picks next year. If we really need a RB after this year, get one in 2014. Or at least pick up one in the later rounds this year. I would rather see us shore up safety, the OL or grab one of the better WR's.
Like CGI said, 16 and 22 in this draft are really good spots. The drop off in talent from the top 10 isn't as large this year, IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
CGI_Ram said:
I don't want to get "cute" with these draft picks.You got 16 and 22. That's the heart of this draft.
Say what you want... but the further down you go the higher the "miss rate". It's a fact. The Rams did well last year... But don't force a sequel.

I see it in a total different way my friend I see very little difference in the players who are mock'd to be there @ #16 & #22 from the prospects that will be available 50 or so prospects.

I still see multiple serious needs and many lower needs to fill on this team. Rams are out of Cap Money now so they are out of the free agency business. I sure would like to have teams like the 9ers to desire our #16 pick so we could help them out and unload them of those 14 to 15 picks they have. I would also hope teams that took a chance & past on their needs @ QB in the early rounds like the Jags-Cards-Bills gets jumpy & trades for our #22 pick.

Legit trades may be SF & STL- 9ers need to replace 2 DL'ers lost to UFA and 1 old aging 34 yr old Justin Smith they could get to pick from several top DT's or even the 2nd rated CB @ #16. Where Rams deal 1st-#16 to 9ers for 2nd-#34, 2nd-#61 & 4th-#120.

Jags must start fresh with a legit QB other than Gabbert past early first rd now trades up with Rams. Rams 1st-#22 for 2nd-#33 & 3rd-#64.

Rams trade two for five that gives the Rams eight selections in rounds second thru four in the 2013 draft it would like like this;

2nd-#33/Jags
2nd-#34/9ers
2nd-#46/Rams
2nd-#61/9ers
3rd-#64/Jags
3rd-#78/Rams
4th-#113/Ram
4th-#120/9ers

Then if you project using mocks & grades of prospective prospects who stand a good chance of being on the boards at these times gives you an ideal of the bounty.

Using a random known top 100 big board like ...<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42740/325/top-100-big-board" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... -big-board</a>

Here would be my quick mock using it

2nd-#33-RB- Eddie Lacy/replaces #39
2nd-#34-ORT DJ Fluker/replaces Barry Richardson
2nd-#46-OLG- Kyle Long/replaces Robert Turner
2nd-#61-WR-Justin Hunter/replaces Brandon Gibson
3rd-#64-TE-Jordan Reed/ replaces Mulligan
3rd-#78-SS-Shamarko Thomas/ replaces Mikell
4th-#113-FS-Josh Evans/ replaces Craig Dahl
4th-#120-OLT-David Quessenberry/replaces Wayne Hunter

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As you've pointed out, Bonifay, it depends on the haul.

A load of picks in the 2nd wouldn't bother me in move down scenarios.

But beyond the 2nd... Things are watered down.

My point is; they had success last year... Don't force it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just listen to jrry32 and you'll be good to go. :ww: