Can the Rams defense endure with so few inside linebackers?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Can the Rams defense endure with so few inside linebackers?

The LA Rams run a 3-4 base defensive package. Somehow in the planning of building a roster for a 53-man active roster, the powers that be decided that the team needed five running backs on the roster. The team decided to carry ten offensive linemen and six defensive linemen. But when ILB Travin Howard fell to injury, the team decided that Micah Kiser, Kenny Young, and Troy Reeder would be enough depth at inside linebacker to handle the workload of 16 games.

That sounds great on paper. After all, theoretically, the Rams run a sub nickel and dime package frequently. And with an abundance of defensive plays, the Rams will be looking at one inside linebacker on the field at a time, not two. That should allow the team to maintain a good rotation and keep players healthy. Only that’s not how it seems to be working right now, just after four games in a 16 game season.

Time to reinforce the heart of this defense

After all, here is the latest injury report.

View: https://twitter.com/lindseythiry/status/1313983165346844678?s=21

Now, these are minor injuries, and the LA Rams are taking every precaution to minimize the wear and tear on so few players. But the depth chart of the position now has the two starters injured, and only backup Troy Reeder as healthy. Of course, the Rams did pick up ILB/OLB Justin Hollins and can use him in a pinch. After four games are the Rams in a pinch already?

Kiser injury could have an impact

Micah Kiser has been the glue of the defense. While he has shown some struggles at times, he knows where he needs to be and he has been making plays for the Rams. Kenny Young, so far, has been rather inconsistent. And Troy Reeder has not shown enough to make anyone confident when he takes the field. This would have been the perfect opportunity to call up drafted linebacker Clay Johnston from the practice squad. Unfortunately, he opted to sign with the Carolina Panthers to join his father and former college head coach, Matt Rhule

The Rams have some tough choices to make. With the imminent return to playing status, the Rams will need to make a room on the Rams roster for the return of OLB Terrell Lewis. If the Rams call up an inside linebacker like Christian Rozeboom, Danie; Bituli, or Derrick Moncrief, the team will need to clear roster spots.

Rams too shallow at ILB

Of course, it would all be so much easier if both Kiser and Young could just shake it off. Or if the Rams could rely upon a rotation that included both Hollins and Reeder as defenders capable of holding down the fort while either Kiser or Young take a break. But the reality is that the Rams current roster has 3.5 players supporting two significant roles on defense (.5 because Hollins will also play outside linebacker at times).

Back to the drawing board? I’m not sure. Linebacker is a position that is difficult to fill in the NFL this time of year. And the Rams track record at the position has not been stellar, as the team has lost an inside linebacker to another team twice in the past two years. For now, the Rams are beginning to show wear and tear at a critical position on defense. For a defense that needs to improve at run defense, that needs to be taken seriously.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
How did Evans get banged up? I don't think he's taken even one snap.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just put Hollins in there until Kiser comes back. He played that position in Denver at times, although (personally) I like him much better at outside linebacker.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
How about we slide L. Floyd into the middle on passing downs and rotate Obo and Polite at his OLB spot?
I thought I read that Floyd was exceptional at pass coverage and not so proficient at pass rushing so if true this scenario could play well to his strengths.
What say yes all?

~ArkyRamsFan~

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
How about we slide L. Floyd into the middle on passing downs and rotate Obo and Polite at his OLB spot?
I thought I read that Floyd was exceptional at pass coverage and not so proficient at pass rushing so if true this scenario could play well to his strengths.
What say yes all?

~ArkyRamsFan~

Good question. Imo - which amounts to not a whole lot. Reeder gets the nod & Fuller being healthy will keep The Rams defense in more of dime & nickel formations.

Tyler Rapp was injured early & Ramsey is playing all over switching things up.
I think this is something Staley is excited to see. Plus Burges can move around as well.
D.Williams & T.Hill have been holding down the CB positions. Add David Long & there is a lot of depth there.
-Will see what the rotations are like,but The Rams have been playing a lot of 4 Lineman up front. Keeps Aaron Donald closer inside to blow up running plays & flush QB’s.
Gaines does not have much range,but he is stout on one side of the ball. Will be interesting,but Holland’s should get a few reps as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The thought of utilizing Floyd in the MLB'er post this Sunday would be a good ideal. Floyd knows the Staley defense inside out.

Staley has SIX ... HEALTY OLB'ers/ER's on the active master roster ready to play the two outside LB'er posts:

Floyd
Ebukam/ 4th season
Okoronkwo/ 3rd season
Hollis/ 2nd season
Polite/ 2nd season
Patrick/ 2nd season

There is no reason that Floyd can not be used this Sunday in Washington & let the other five ER's handle the OLB posts. Its time they turned those youngins loose ......Polite, Patrick, & Hollis!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kiser & Rapp. That should be our duo. It would be quite good vs the pass (in comparison to the other options), and give us our best chance vs running QBs. Not an ideal setup but I think it's the best it's gonna get this season with this roster.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Put Donald in at MLB. I've been waiting to see that shit for six years.
SeparateCompassionateGaur-size_restricted.gif

Ram65

Legend
Are Kiser and Young out?

I thought Floyd would have played some in the middle already. I did see him in coverage early last week on the outside.

Hollins was just transitioning to the middle last year.

Now with TLew coming back, they could move Hollins or Floyd to the middle.

Rapp can move over too.

With Fuller back, I think Rapp will be on the field even more if Kiser can't go.

Could be Reeder and Rapp.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Hopefully Kaiser and Young are back soon, but we've been weak at ILB for a while now.. dont think its a huge difference honestly with Reeder, Hollins or Rapp/Burgess helping more etc. I think Fuller back and T Lewis finally contributing on passing downs is a much bigger net positive for the D regardless.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

kenny young practiced in full so he will be playing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hopefully Kaiser and Young are back soon, but we've been weak at ILB for a while now.. dont think its a huge difference honestly with Reeder, Hollins or Rapp/Burgess helping more etc. I think Fuller back and T Lewis finally contributing on passing downs is a much bigger net positive for the D regardless.

I think Aaron Donald &Whitworth(Evans) were the only ones
not to practice besides Kiser. It’s a groin & he can go if The Rams really needed him. It will be a game time decision,but Reeder looks to be the starter as of now.

oldnotdead

Legend
I said it before the season began. Staley's defense is so basic it really doesn't need 2 ILBs. They played with two because as I've said all along Kenny Young is built like a SS with SS speed. They can simply use a third safety (SS) to play the position. So with Fuller returning and Rapp playing it's a no-brainer with Johnson also on the field. If they wanted another true ILB they have two on the PS in Moncrief and Rozeboom. They could have easily sent Natrez Patrick or even Banks to the PS.

Derrick Moncrief especially has very good speed for an ILB with 3 years of CFL experience.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I said it before the season began. Staley's defense is so basic it really doesn't need 2 ILBs. They played with two because as I've said all along Kenny Young is built like a SS with SS speed. They can simply use a third safety (SS) to play the position. So with Fuller returning and Rapp playing it's a no-brainer with Johnson also on the field. If they wanted another true ILB they have two on the PS in Moncrief and Rozeboom. They could have easily sent Natrez Patrick or even Banks to the PS.

Derrick Moncrief especially has very good speed for an ILB with 3 years of CFL experience.

Reeder will be the guy,if Kiser can’t go? Kiser is hungry to play,but groin injury needs to be alright.

John Johnson is calling the plays & Staley really likes hearing his voice during the games.