Can someone tell me. Are we playing bump and run at CB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I ask, because, it seems Peters may have been playing a lot of off-man coverage lately?

If we are playing more zone concepts, why are the safeties so late helping over the top?

Why don't our OLBs engage TEs and RBs coming out of the backfield in the first 5 yards?

For me, Peters play has looked worse, due to some poor play by Joyner in particular - who always arrives a step or 10 steps too late

If he is still suffering the effects of a calf injury, can he play bump and run coverage effectively? After all, you need to get your hands on the WR, transition and accelerate step for step - which is difficult even without an injury

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wade's not talking until the ref's get back to him. :redcard: With all the shirt grabbing, horse-collars, blatant holds and ref blindness going on, Wade's not sure what coverage to call.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Peter's shouldn't still be hurt , hes having a rough time because he has been exposed and teams are attacking him. I would say its 90 percent mental and he needs to snap out of it .

Joyner has been non existant to me , where is his big play making ?
He was all over the deep ball last year

Ellard80

Legend
I ask, because, it seems Peters may have been playing a lot of off-man coverage lately?

If we are playing more zone concepts, why are the safeties so late helping over the top?

Why don't our OLBs engage TEs and RBs coming out of the backfield in the first 5 yards?

For me, Peters play has looked worse, due to some poor play by Joyner in particular - who always arrives a step or 10 steps too late

If he is still suffering the effects of a calf injury, can he play bump and run coverage effectively? After all, you need to get your hands on the WR, transition and accelerate step for step - which is difficult even without an injury

Sometimes we play bump and run.

It's honestly not super complicated - peters has always been a risky type player. If you look at his college write (Prime time posted one) up he had the same controversy.

Basically peters plays for interceptions - which when it's working makes you look like Deion Sanders.

But I agree he is not getting great FS help.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Peters is a [DELETED] but he's still a Pro Bowl corner whose fundamentals have slipped. He has to play better. Wade has to continue putting him out there on an island at times and he's got to step up. It's not a complicated issue.

Defense has other problems too. But Peters' play is the single biggest problem with our defense right now. It ain't gonna get fixed by warping the defense around him and allowing him to freelance. He has to play the MFing call.

Moderators note: Do NOT use derogatory terms when talking about current Rams players, members of ROD, or current members of the Rams organization.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Peters is more of a zone corner. It’s been discussed here in another thread. He plays best when he can read the QBs eyes. He’s guessing on routes.

I am sure he is capable of playing man/press but he is not being disciplined. He’s probably frustrated to not be getting any int’s. So he’s trying to do both. We knew going into it that he was a selfish player. He seems to not want to sacrifice for the team and do what is needed.

I know Wade loves to press his corners and maybe he doesn’t want to mix in zone against Rodgers and Brees but what he is doing isn’t exactly working.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think Peters has been playing turn and chase D.
download (1).jpg

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mods perhaps this can be collapsed into the thread on Peters - as that detailed analysis covers many of the points here

the DBs in Wade’s system might be as confused as me at times.

Personally I would prefer to see a lot more physicality and pressing at the line. Agreed a consistent pass rush would help