Can Ryan make the Rams better?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Jim Thomas
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 3fcd7.html

50f53c89da55c.preview-620.jpg

Stop if you’ve heard this one before on the Internet — the Rams are hiring Rob Ryan as their new defensive coordinator.

Nothing’s official yet.

But this time the Rams will hire Ryan, and while it won't be announced today (Friday), it will be made official within the next few days. The brother of New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan and son of legendary NFL coach Buddy Ryan interviewed with Rams coach Jeff Fisher last week.

Fisher has known the Ryan family since his days as a safety with the Chicago Bears in the early 1980s.

It is debatable — some around the NFL would say highly debatable — whether Ryan can take a Rams defense that flirted with top 10 status in 2012 to the next step.

In nine seasons as a defensive coordinator with the Dallas Cowboys, Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders, Ryan has had only one top 10 defense and never has been a coordinator on a playoff team. Recently fired by Dallas, Ryan’s defenses had anywhere between nine and 13 players on the field at various times with the Cowboys.

Observers in Dallas felt it was difficult to know what the Cowboys’ defense stood for because it did so many things. Dallas head coach Jason Garrett said recently that one of the reasons Ryan was fired was because the defense didn’t produce many turnovers — the Cowboys had only 16 in 2012, which tied for 27th in the league.

There’s also the question of whether Ryan will be able to run a 3-4 scheme in St. Louis, although he has had earlier experience running the 4-3. The Rams clearly have 4-3 personnel.

But in conversations with coaches and scouts at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., the feeling by many is that Fisher can help soften some of Ryan’s excesses — keeping him more organized and less emotional.

No one doubts that Ryan has a bright football mind – creative and aggressive.

Position coaches who have worked with him say he treats his assistants well, lets them do their job and invites input.

And the weekly media sessions by the new defensive coordinator could be standing room only every Thursday at Rams Park. Like the rest of his family, Rob Ryan can be boastful and flamboyant, and he is liable to say just about anything.

The Rams also are expected to finalize the hiring of former Tennessee assistant and Houston defensive coordinator Frank Bush as their linebackers coach —thus wiping the slate clean of Gregg Williams and his son Blake Williams.

Gregg Williams was employed by the Rams for less than two months last season as defensive coordinator before being suspended indefinitely by the NFL for his role in the “Bountygate” pay-for-performance scandal in New Orleans. Blake Williams was fired as Rams linebackers coach at the end of the 2012 season – his only year in St. Louis.

F. Mulder

Starter
This is my view---all of the concerns about personality and production from previous DC stints are obviously on the table. But for me this is how I see it:

a) Fisher knows who he was interviewing-he knows the family, knows how the Ryan's coach overall and individually, and knows what Rob's strengths and weaknesses are

b) This IS Fisher's team. He knows what he wants offensively, and being a Defensively oriented coach, knows what he wants on Defense. I assure you he was very forthcoming to Ryan regarding what he wants HIS team to be defensively. The ball was in Ryan's court to be able or willing to meet that desire. Obviously Ryan was able to convey the ability and willingness to create the type of D FISHER wants.

c) not only having Fisher there but having ex-DCs on the staff not only adds to important input and feedback but helps keep Ryan in check should he venture out.

d) Ryan knows what's what. Not only does he know this is Fisher's team and what Fisher wants/expects from the Rams D but he (Ryan) knows he's been let go several times and the jury is somewhat out on him. If he is all he thinks he is, and is all that Fisher thinks he is, he has the chance to prove he is an above average DC. If he fails he has run out of excuses IMO.

e) he has a young, talented, versatile D personnel. He isn't trying to rescue anything. He has D filled with top draft choices and hand picked FAs. In addition, his voice (as well as Fisher's and the rest of the staff and GM) will be important regarding offseason pickups via the draft and FA (as well as existing players - QM, Fletcher, etc).

I personally look forward to it and think they have a guy who is capable of taking the D to the next level in a way Fisher envisioned.

Sorry for the ramble... :oops:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
F. Mulder said:
This is my view---all of the concerns about personality and production from previous DC stints are obviously on the table. But for me this is how I see it:

a) Fisher knows who he was interviewing-he knows the family, knows how the Ryan's coach overall and individually, and knows what Rob's strengths and weaknesses are

b) This IS Fisher's team. He knows what he wants offensively, and being a Defensively oriented coach, knows what he wants on Defense. I assure you he was very forthcoming to Ryan regarding what he wants HIS team to be defensively. The ball was in Ryan's court to be able or willing to meet that desire. Obviously Ryan was able to convey the ability and willingness to create the type of D FISHER wants.

c) not only having Fisher there but having ex-DCs on the staff not only adds to important input and feedback but helps keep Ryan in check should he venture out.

d) Ryan knows what's what. Not only does he know this is Fisher's team and what Fisher wants/expects from the Rams D but he (Ryan) knows he's been let go several times and the jury is somewhat out on him. If he is all he thinks he is, and is all that Fisher thinks he is, he has the chance to prove he is an above average DC. If he fails he has run out of excuses IMO.

e) he has a young, talented, versatile D personnel. He isn't trying to rescue anything. He has D filled with top draft choices and hand picked FAs. In addition, his voice (as well as Fisher's and the rest of the staff and GM) will be important regarding offseason pickups via the draft and FA (as well as existing players - QM, Fletcher, etc).

I personally look forward to it and think they have a guy who is capable of taking the D to the next level in a way Fisher envisioned.

Sorry for the ramble... :oops:
Agree with all of that. And if Ryan is a better play caller, then it's an improvement. This isn't a team that is a works in progress, necessarily. They have the talent. So as long as he doesn't pull a Blake (Vikings game), then I feel pretty good about the acquisition.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Love the experience and coaching tree.

The caveman-like enthusiasm is exactly what I like to see on Defense.

I guarantee you the players on gonna love him.

Fish has assembled a Bad-Ass coaching staff.

iced

said it before, i'll say it again... I am on fence with Rob Ryan.

But the Cowboys had a top 5 D and a couple times were ranked #1 early in the season. They did lose a ton of players to injury