Can Gurley and Mason rush for 1,000 yds each in 2015?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I would guess that Todd Gurley won't get going until mid-season. Plus we'll have a very young O-line this season. So I'd say no. But look out in 2016.
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/5...rams-todd-gurley-tre-mason-1000-yards-rushing

1,000 Yard Rushing Duos: Can Todd Gurley and Tre Mason Do It?
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB_

usa-today-8556504.0.jpg

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

The NFL has only seen six pair of teammates rush for 1,000 yards in the same season. Can St. Louis Rams' rookie Todd Gurley and second year back Tre Mason make it seven?

While the question may have been posed in regards to the rehab - or expectations for return - of rookie running back Todd Gurley, St. Louis Rams’ head coach Jeff Fisher used a few words that raised a few eyebrows: "This is the running back for our future."

With many fans poised for the Rams to draft the best [available] offensive lineman or wide receiver, the Rams surprised the masses when they took Gurley 10th overall in the 2015 NFL draft. They even surprised a few players...

Tre Mason
✔@TreMason

Doubting me..?

Zac Stacy
@ZSTACY

Yikes

...and while Zac Stacy will now be in line to tote the rock for the New York Jets in 2015-16, Mason doesn’t intend on taking a back seat to anybody.

Mason himself was a bit of surprise pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, when the Rams selected him in the 3rd round. With Zac Stacy having nearly rushed for 1,000 yards in 12 games in the prior year, a running back in 3rd round didn’t seem all that dire. But Mason stole the starting job, Stacy - essentially - went missing, and the rookie from Auburn lead the team in rushing -- 765 yards in 12 games. At that clip, he would’ve rushed for 1,020 yards had he played in all 16.

Tre Mason, if he didn’t already have it, now has motivation to work harder in the offseason. The timeline on Gurley’s return to full health is still uncertain, but it’s obvious that he’ll be heavily involved in the offense once given the green light.

As for Gurley, some viewed him as the most talented player - barring a healthy return of course - in the entirety of the draft. Here’s what NFL Media Analyst Brian Baldinger had to say...

The talent and the ability that he has is unquestioned. This guy knows how to go North-South, he's got all of the agility. We've got to see about the knee, I know. But I just have this feeling this guy is going to be special. A lot in the way I thought about Adrian Peterson coming out of Oklahoma in 2007 and how he was going to be special, I feel the same way about this kid.

The question, then, is can the Rams have a duo of 1,000 yard rushers in 2015?

It’s only been done six times in the history of the NFL...

1972...Miami Dolphins
Larry Csonka........1,117
Mercury Morris.......1,000

1976...Pittsburgh Steelers
Franco Harris........1,128
Rocky Bleier............1,036

1985...Miami Dolphins
Kevin Mack..........1,104
Earnest Byner..........1,002

2006...Atlanta Falcons
Warrick Dunn.......1,140
Michael Vick...........1,039

2008...New York Giants
Brandon Jacobs.....1,089
Derrick Ward...........1,025

2009...Carolina Panthers
Jonathan Stewart...1,133
DeAngelo Williams.....1,117

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Why not? Give Cunningham some carries and the kick return job as well, and let's see teams try to stop the three-headed monster we have at running back. Add in the three-headed monster at tight end (Cook, Kendricks, Harkey), the AFROS, and the Fridges, and why can't we succeed?

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
If the offensive line is improved and Mason starts untill after the by week I think it can be done.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Odds say no....
I agree, BUT, as I remember it, Tre had a slow start and almost nailed "1000" last year. So I can see him getting a 1000+ this year!
And Gurley, well, IF he's the man we think he'll be, even with a slow start, he's waaay better than Mason, So I say " Yes, he can break 1000 yards too!
So the answer to the Op Question is BIG YES!! They will be the 7th Duo to do it!(y)(y):D:D:cheers::cheers::banana::banana::rockon::rockon::shades:

Athos

Legend
More like the Smash and Dash Titans in 2008.

CJ2K had 1200 and 9 TDs
White had 750ish and 15 TDs.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If Mason gets as many carries as last year, by starting the season, and gradually giving up carries to Gurley by mid season, then it's unlikely that either of them will have 1,000 yards.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Mike Vick lol. oh those were the days
That one does jump off the page. "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just isn't the same..." Also of note that Miami makes the list twice.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope that, between them, the Rams have over 1600 yards rushing.

I think that will indicate that the line is working and the Rams should have a winning record as a result.

Athos

Legend
I hope that, between them, the Rams have over 1600 yards rushing.

I think that will indicate that the line is working and the Rams should have a winning record as a result.

We went over 1600 yards on the ground last year with 11 TDs. I can't envision our O-Line being any worse and these guys, at worst, can run block the fuck out of people. Wells was a shredded tired and Long a broken axel last year.

I expect 2000 yards as a possibility on the ground next year with closer to 15-18 TDs on the ground.

Gurley out of the backfield with Mason, should make those trick plays to Austin deadlier, and those runs up the middle deadlier too.

By the 3rd and 4th, teams will be tired of facing up Gurley and Mason.

Ram65

Legend
Will Mason get enough carries when Gurley is healthy? Probably not. It's more possible this year then in the future. Not a very long list sothe odds are against it but it could happen.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We went over 1600 yards on the ground last year with 11 TDs. I can't envision our O-Line being any worse and these guys, at worst, can run block the freak out of people. Wells was a shredded tired and Long a broken axel last year.

I expect 2000 yards as a possibility on the ground next year with closer to 15-18 TDs on the ground.

Gurley out of the backfield with Mason, should make those trick plays to Austin deadlier, and those runs up the middle deadlier too.

By the 3rd and 4th, teams will be tired of facing up Gurley and Mason.
1600 just between the two of them.

All in, the team ought to go over 2200 or so.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
gurley's pass receiving abilities should be of use as well.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
That one does jump off the page. "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just isn't the same..." Also of note that Miami makes the list twice.

Only because the writer mistakenly made Mack and Byner Dolphins. They actually played for the Cleveland Browns that year.

Unless I'm mistaken that was the year Byner had "the fumble" at the goal line and Elway beat them with "The drive" in the playoffs.

Last edited: