Can Belichick win the next game without Brady, Garoppolo, and Jacoby Brissett?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ppolo-in-tremendous-pain-more-testing-coming/

Jimmy Garoppolo in “tremendous pain,” status still unknown
Posted by Mike Florio on September 18, 2016

ap_162626751231051-e1474238782640.jpg
AP

Yes, Patriots quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo has a shoulder injury. No, he suffered no broken bones.

But that’s just the beginning of the story. Given the various ligaments and tendons and tissues that hold a shoulder together, more testing is needed to diagnose the injury, and to come up with a prognosis. Per a league source, the mere fact that Garoppolo is in “tremendous pain” after the incident makes his availability for Thursday night against the Texans unlikely.

The question becomes whether he could play in Week Four against the Bills. Amind conflicting reports that he’ll be out six weeks or only one, it’s simply too early to know for sure either way. If Garoppolo can’t return by Week Four, it’s essentially a season-ending injury — unless Tom Brady suffers an injury when he returns in Week Five.

If Garoppolo can’t play on Thursday night, the next question becomes whether the Patriots add a quarterback to serve as the understudy to Jacoby Brissett. Coach Bill Belichick had resisted adding a veteran during training camp, pointing out that there simply was no one available. Anyone who happens to be available now will be coming in cold, unless they swing a trade for a guy who knows the offense but is currently with another team, like Brian Hoyer (Bears), Matt Cassel (Titans), or Ryan Mallett (Ravens).

If the Patriots pursue any of them, how much will their current teams want, if they realize New England is desperate? Moreover, how willing would any of them be to accept what could be a very short-term stint as No. 2. Once Brady returns and if/when Garoppolo is healthy, whoever served as the backup on Thursday night eventually would be cut, most likely.

Free agents who have some knowledge of the system include Ryan Lindley and Matt Flynn. However, neither were impressive in short stints with the team more than a year ago.

Boomer Esiason of CBS apparently has suggested that the Patriots pursue quarterback Peyton Manning. But there are two problems with that. First, he currently is property of the Broncos, who would have to release him before he could join the Patriots, which would slow the process down until 4:00 p.m. ET Monday at the earliest. Second, after Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater tore an ACL, PFT reported that Manning is done.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, it kills me to post this and I despise the man, but yes he can because he's the best Head Football Coach in the NFL.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, it kills me to post this and I despise the man, but yes he can because he's the best Head Football Coach in the NFL.

Their next two games are at home. Thursday night against the Texans and the Bills the game after that.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Do the Patriots want to trade us something for Keenum? A late 3rd rounder next draft? That way they have a good #2 once Brady returns.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do the Patriots want to trade us something for Keenum? A late 3rd rounder next draft? That way they have a good #2 once Brady returns.

Garoppolo might not be out that long. Once Brady steps in after his suspension, JG will be #2. Like the article above says, whoever they sign will most likely be cut once Brady returns. However if Garoppolo's injury is worse than assumed, then Keenum would be worth looking at. I'm more comfortable with us starting Mannion or Goff than Keenum anyway.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Really hoping they lose to the Texans because Rex is in trouble in Buffalo.
I predict the Ryan Brothers will be the 1st Twins Fired from an NFL Team at the same Time! ( probably within the next two weeks!!)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm going to be the rebel and say that they'll be 2-2 when Brady comes back.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Hiring his brother was not a wise move in retrospect.

giphy.gif
For ANY team. The Saints converted every single 3rd down against us, breaking an NFL record. Rob Ryan is terrible, living of daddy's name.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I think they lose to Houston. Expecting Brissett to start on a really short week is a tall task. I am also hearing that Edelman is the backup for the next two weeks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Having the same offensive system since the mid-late 70's does afford you the luxury of keeping 10 of the 11 guys on offense on the same page.