Can a QB Learn to Permanently Chg Footwork Issues?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just watched a fairly impressive Paxton Lynch Pro Day, where it was noted by Mike Mayock that from the Combine until today, Lynch has really shortened/tightened his release (3 step drop), bettered his footwork/mechanics...

Thats fine, but is it permanent?

Body memory might take control when he's stressed? I remember Tebow trying to relearn how to throw the ball correctly, but never really was successful doing that. Is there an example of a great NFL QB, that had to change his mechanics from the Combine until his Pro Day, and the changes stuck?

(btw: I liked what I saw in Memphis from Lynch, and if its real and lasting I wouldn't mind if the Rams took him at #15...)

Last edited:

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I think its much different than throwing mechanics. NFL QBs have been throwing the ball that way for their whole career basically, while the footwork is always something that changes. The way you drop back in peewee isnt gonna be the same in middle school, and itll change again in HS. And with the trend of spread offenses in college, you really dont even have a drop back for those 3-4 years so there wouldnt really be a muscle memory to resort to. I could be wrong, but thats my thought on the matter

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

There was nothing to change. Apparently he was in shotgun for almost every snap he had in college. What footwork is he used to after years of having none.

fearsomefour

Legend
Arm action can be changed. It takes time.
I remember Warner talking about his elbow dropping from time to time and he would need to correct it.
Getting a pitcher to change his arm action from long and loopy to the more desired short arm action can be done but it takes 100's of throws a day and usually varied stimuli (i.e. weighted balls). But, like with a QB, that is one piece to the puzzle....it all starts with the feet and lower body.

fancents86

Starter
I was actually going to mention Tebow, he actually fixed his mechanics quite well. It just might take a little longer for some to adjust to the new improvements an see it in their throws.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just watched a fairly impressive Paxton Lynch Pro Day, where it was noted by Mike Mayock that from the Combine until today, Lynch has really shortened/tightened his release (3 step drop), bettered his footwork/mechanics...

Thats fine, but is it permanent?

Body memory might take control when he's stressed? I remember Tebow trying to relearn how to throw the ball correctly, but never really was successful doing that. Is there an example of a great NFL QB, that had to change his mechanics from the Combine until his Pro Day, and the changes stuck?

(btw: I liked what I saw in Memphis from Lynch, and if its real and lasting I wouldn't mind if the Rams took him at #15...)
I don't see any reason why the change in footwork would stay corrected, if you well, as time goes on!!

I taught this guy to dance and he has forgotten it under stress!!(y):mrburnsevil:

Dancing Ape.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think it can improve as the seasons go on. Mechanics are worked/practiced throughout the year. Eventually it becomes automatic.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The answer is yes. And QBs adjust and change their footwork all the time when it slips during the season or after they're drafted. I'm sure most of them will need to adjust their footwork, except for Goff perhaps. It's one of those things where the QB coach always has them chasing perfection and how well they do with it is part of that equation for accuracy and being on-time with their WRs.

Cook for example is a footwork project and I don't know if he'll do what he needs to do in order to fix it. If he does, he becomes a much more effective passer but you also gotta consider the translation to NFL concerns along with it. I think the key question with him is how much does the game mean to him and whether he will come in with a fire under his @$$ to learn and prove himself.

For Goff it's gonna be learning the offense between the ears. Soon as that's there, he's gonna start and probably kill it in this league unless he ends up behind a bad line. So my expectation for him is he starts day one for whomever takes him and plays well. IMO he'll be a revelation.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Most observers felt that Lynch had improved his footwork dramatically since his combine.

That speaks well of his athleticism and desire to be the best.

I think he really helped himself in his pro day, and I normally don't get all swept away with pro days. But if he can improve that much in such a short time, what can he do under NFL coaching and observing other QB's in camp and preseason?

I no longer think we can afford to plan on getting him with a small trade down. I now think we will be fortunate to see him fall to #!5. Might actually have to do a small trade up to prevent some team jumping in front of us.

Normally, I don't favor trade ups. But this is for a QB that's looking quite promising, and I'm damned tired of being on the outside looking in when it comes to the QB market.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Of course you can. Reps, reps, reps, but the reps have to be good reps, not bad one's.

It's harder to change bad habits, than no habits at all.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Yep. Relearn and practice perfection. Lots of Slow movement then speed is added. Muscle memory.

But there's no standard template of mechanics. One size don't fit all. Some QB's need to have their Individual quirks to be effective .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Of course....all depends on the individuals motivation....will he put in the necessary work?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's a great question.

I'm with some of the other guys. You *can* re-learn good habits, but duress will always, always, always make you revert back to what you knew for the previous 15-20 years of playing football. Better to find a guy who doesn't need too much work on his mechanics, but instead needs work on the mental aspects of the game. Matt Hasselbeck never once went to a throwing coach, and didn't have the cleanest mechanics, but he still made a good living and had success in this league.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think a person has better chance at changing footwork, as opposed to throwing motion.

Throwing a ball starts at a very young age. Footwork? Some may hardly put much thought into it until into their college career.

Ram65

Legend
How much work and critique is done on foot work for a college QB? Some bad habits could be do to unawareness and even laziness. Most of these young guys have relied on their athleticism and arm strength. So I think foot work and balance can be improved. It can be a constant battle to avoid bad old habits but it an be done. Looks like Lynch will be a good QB to see if foot work improvement can be sustained.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
How much work and critique is done on foot work for a college QB? Some bad habits could be do to unawareness and even laziness. Most of these young guys have relied on their athleticism and arm strength. So I think foot work and balance can be improved. It can be a constant battle to avoid bad old habits but it an be done. Looks like Lynch will be a good QB to see if foot work improvement can be sustained.
I agree, he just needs reps.

ps. I still say he is no better than Mannion so hopefully we pass on him

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Absolutely!! Just look at the success the Rams have had coaching up QB's of late.

Oh wait..... :LOL: