CAMP REPORT Camp Report Day 4: Sat July 31

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
My boy @XXXIVwin needs to get that face tat now, "LVIwin."

q9WjJxo.gif
My new look...

02E64864-4FEA-4076-9579-BB761121218D.jpeg

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That's really bad for Rochell. But it might not keep him from playing this year. He got a ton of work in OTAs and looked really good prior to this. I could see from his film that he wasn't as raw as people kept saying. Yeah he has a lot to learn but what rookie doesn't. This guy is really special and teams that passed on him will forever regret it.

This note about Harris taking a pass from Stafford is a huge tipoff. This kid is going to play this year. Harris and Rochell both look like future Ram stars. It IMO shows in McVay's mind Harris is the #2 TE right now. Hopkins is going to make the roster and Blanton whom I liked as a rookie will make the PS as a protected player IMO. Why? Because this is Higbee's last Ram contract. In 2024 he will be a FA if he's still on the roster. Blanton has shown marked improvement since 2019 and if his blocking also has improved he could be the next Mundt. The current Mundt ain't making this roster if they carry 3 TEs as they normally do.

With Higbee, Harris and Hopkins they have 3 very good TEs.

IMO how Xavier Jones looks in preseason will determine if he makes this roster. IMO how they are using Funk with the ones is indicative of them feeling he might be a better #2 RB option due to his speed. Jones lacks breakaway speed so the offense is downgraded when he's on the field. He will get run down on a play that would be a TD with Funk or Calais. How much difference does that speed make? If you saw how DK Metcalf run a DB down from behind after an INT that's what the difference is between Funk or Calais vs Jones as both of the formers have Metcalf's kind of speed.

The Rams are fast on both sides of the ball and IMO that is the premium that Snead and McVay have put on building this roster. They have a choice between Jones with average speed or Calais who timed in the 4.3 range. IMO that speed difference is huge. Jones isn't a tackle breaker, he never has been and the first hit is usually enough. For a RB yards after first contact is a big stat.

Regardless I feel good about the RBs the Rams currently have. As I do about their current OL which could be the best they have had in years.
I think Harris is not a traditional TE2. I see him as a guy that will be all over the place looking to get mismatches. So he will take snaps away from WR's as well as TE's. Maybe even as a HB/ FB.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to believe both Rochelle and Brown will be ok and rebound well before the season starts.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
IMO how Xavier Jones looks in preseason will determine if he makes this roster. IMO how they are using Funk with the ones is indicative of them feeling he might be a better #2 RB option due to his speed. Jones lacks breakaway speed so the offense is downgraded when he's on the field. He will get run down on a play that would be a TD with Funk or Calais. How much difference does that speed make? If you saw how DK Metcalf run a DB down from behind after an INT that's what the difference is between Funk or Calais vs Jones as both of the formers have Metcalf's kind of speed.

The Rams are fast on both sides of the ball and IMO that is the premium that Snead and McVay have put on building this roster. They have a choice between Jones with average speed or Calais who timed in the 4.3 range. IMO that speed difference is huge. Jones isn't a tackle breaker, he never has been and the first hit is usually enough. For a RB yards after first contact is a big stat.

We get it, you don't like Jones. But you are wrong, not only is he going to make the roster, he's going to be the starting RB sooner rather than later. How many 60+ yard TD runs do running backs make per year? Not very many.
He can get up to full speed fast, and make people miss, and he scores TDs.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Day 4 I got there early, starting time was supposed to be 2pm, but they did even get on the field til 3, they all did stretching and warmups together. No Pads, they were all in shorts and shells. WTF?

Rochell only player not there. Jacob Harris was out there and participated some today.

Huge crowd as it was "family Day", about 85F

Had the punt return guys again. Same group, Landon Akers, JJ Koski, Ray Calias, Funk, Otis Anderson, Jerimiah Haydel. Calais fielded all his without any bobbles. Koski dropped one, Anderson bobbled 2. 4 days of watching these same guys fielding punts and the only one I have any confidence in is Calias.

Special teams drill rushing the punter, two seperate squads, Hekker with one, #16 camp leg Brandon Wright on the other.

Far field LB's fumble recovery drill. Coach bounces the ball out on the field and they try to pick it up and run with it.

Hekker did a fake punt again and threw it to Funk. There were no DB's. Crowd went wild anyway. Hekker banged a couple 50 yder's.

They sent the D after the punt returner and 4 or 5 punts, Funk looked pretty good returning on a couple, Calais has better hands.

Lots of punt coverage today.

QB's drilled taking snaps from trainer, then moving left and throwing accross their body 10 yds to a RB, Wolford and Hodges had trouble doing this. Perkins did pretty good, so did Stafford, but there were a lot of high and off passes. I hope the practice this drill more.

Next had QB's practicing handing off the RB's. The RB order as they did this is telling. Henderson was first, X Jones second,
Funk third, Calais then Anderson.

Another rotation and we have the QB's and WR's in front of us again. Trainers snapping for all four QB's and quick 10 yd slants as Wr's rotate from QB to QB. Nice to see Jacob Harris in the WR rotation. He's quick for a big guy. Kupp and Woods snagging balls one handed, wowing the crowd. Jefferson and Tristen Jackson look very good also. DeSean Jackson smiling and cutting it up with everyone and looks excellent out there. Hardly any dropped balls.

Now passes going 20-25 yds as Wr's go out (no DB's), Wood with a one handed grab, First bad pass from Stafford to Mundt. then overthrows Blanton next pass. Jacob Harris with a nice catch, wow he has a long stride.

Shortened it up to 5 yd quick zip over the middle passed. No one comes close to Kupp at snagging these, he makes it look easy.
DeSean good at this too. Harris with couple good grabs.

Finally 11 on 11's

OL the same with Whit back at LT, Edward LG, Corbett C (Allen did get snaps with the ones today), Evans RG, Havenstien RT.
D ones Floyd DE, SJD DT, AShawn DT, AD DT, Hollins DE, ILB Kiser, Young, OLB Obo, Lawler, DB Ramsey Williams, S Fuller, Rapp or Burgess

Green dot on fuller

Stafford to woods, missed just over his head.
Stafford to Skowronik for about 10
Koski from Wolford drops a 30 yder
Bobby Woods schooled Donte Daeyon with a good move to get open
Wolford to Skoronik for 10
DeSean from Stafford with Ramsey covering, Ramsey knocks it away30 yds deep! Ramsey and DJack having fun with that play.
tristen Jackson nice deep fingertip catch from Wolford with Williams covering

Running plays they are really getting after it, guys ending up in a dogpile several times. Really going hard at it today. McVay telling them to tone it down.

Now doing Red Zone drill. Higbee with a catch over the middle, Kupp low catch right at the goal line. couple running plays that go nowhere.

Ramsey with a pick six off Stafford! Stepped right in front of Jefferson(?) Donald running all the to the end zone with him doing flip at the goal line in celebration. Paly of the Day!
Stafford makes up for it on the next snap finding Kupp in the back of the endzone..

Funk gets in a good end around for a TD

That pretty much did it for me today. All in all the offense got the best of the D today.

Good to see Harris today. Funk continues to get a lot a touches. Both Jackson WR"s are looking good'

Really bummed they weren't in pads. Going 11 on 11 in shorts and shells is fun to watch, but you really can't get good evaluations, especially OL and DL.

My players of the day: Kupp, guy just makes it looks easy, catches everything thrown at him Ramsey: covered everyone, swatted away everything.

Will be there Monday, and hopefully they will be in pads. Sorry for the late post, been a long day.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That's really bad for Rochell. But it might not keep him from playing this year. He got a ton of work in OTAs and looked really good prior to this. I could see from his film that he wasn't as raw as people kept saying. Yeah he has a lot to learn but what rookie doesn't. This guy is really special and teams that passed on him will forever regret it.

This note about Harris taking a pass from Stafford is a huge tipoff. This kid is going to play this year. Harris and Rochell both look like future Ram stars. It IMO shows in McVay's mind Harris is the #2 TE right now. Hopkins is going to make the roster and Blanton whom I liked as a rookie will make the PS as a protected player IMO. Why? Because this is Higbee's last Ram contract. In 2024 he will be a FA if he's still on the roster. Blanton has shown marked improvement since 2019 and if his blocking also has improved he could be the next Mundt. The current Mundt ain't making this roster if they carry 3 TEs as they normally do.

Regardless I feel good about the RBs the Rams currently have. As I do about their current OL which could be the best they have had in years.
Funk could be used more in the 3rd down role where Jones more of a traditional #2 between the tackles guy... Basically replacing Malcom Brown and what he did his first few yrs when he got playing time. So I see it more as having defined roles for these guys.

dang

Legend
Funk could be used more in the 3rd down role where Jones more of a traditional #2 between the tackles guy... Basically replacing Malcom Brown and what he did his first few yrs when he got playing time. So I see it more as having defined roles for these guys.
Wait….you mean Jones isn’t going to be cut because he’s too slow and goes down as soon as he is touched??

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm trying to keep positive...

Those damn training camp injury bugs.

DT Bobby Brown is having thumb UCL surgery the same thing Stafford had done.

CB Robert Rochell is having wrist surgery.

R.b78cb80182127b473fd2f16e5afbaf30

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Day 4 I got there early, starting time was supposed to be 2pm, but they did even get on the field til 3, they all did stretching and warmups together. No Pads, they were all in shorts and shells. WTF?

Rochell only player not there. Jacob Harris was out there and participated some today.

Huge crowd as it was "family Day", about 85F

Had the punt return guys again. Same group, Landon Akers, JJ Koski, Ray Calias, Funk, Otis Anderson, Jerimiah Haydel. Calais fielded all his without any bobbles. Koski dropped one, Anderson bobbled 2. 4 days of watching these same guys fielding punts and the only one I have any confidence in is Calias.

Special teams drill rushing the punter, two seperate squads, Hekker with one, #16 camp leg Brandon Wright on the other.

Far field LB's fumble recovery drill. Coach bounces the ball out on the field and they try to pick it up and run with it.

Hekker did a fake punt again and threw it to Funk. There were no DB's. Crowd went wild anyway. Hekker banged a couple 50 yder's.

They sent the D after the punt returner and 4 or 5 punts, Funk looked pretty good returning on a couple, Calais has better hands.

Lots of punt coverage today.

QB's drilled taking snaps from trainer, then moving left and throwing accross their body 10 yds to a RB, Wolford and Hodges had trouble doing this. Perkins did pretty good, so did Stafford, but there were a lot of high and off passes. I hope the practice this drill more.

Next had QB's practicing handing off the RB's. The RB order as they did this is telling. Henderson was first, X Jones second,
Funk third, Calais then Anderson.

Another rotation and we have the QB's and WR's in front of us again. Trainers snapping for all four QB's and quick 10 yd slants as Wr's rotate from QB to QB. Nice to see Jacob Harris in the WR rotation. He's quick for a big guy. Kupp and Woods snagging balls one handed, wowing the crowd. Jefferson and Tristen Jackson look very good also. DeSean Jackson smiling and cutting it up with everyone and looks excellent out there. Hardly any dropped balls.

Now passes going 20-25 yds as Wr's go out (no DB's), Wood with a one handed grab, First bad pass from Stafford to Mundt. then overthrows Blanton next pass. Jacob Harris with a nice catch, wow he has a long stride.

Shortened it up to 5 yd quick zip over the middle passed. No one comes close to Kupp at snagging these, he makes it look easy.
DeSean good at this too. Harris with couple good grabs.

Finally 11 on 11's

OL the same with Whit back at LT, Edward LG, Corbett C (Allen did get snaps with the ones today), Evans RG, Havenstien RT.
D ones Floyd DE, SJD DT, AShawn DT, AD DT, Hollins DE, ILB Kiser, Young, OLB Obo, Lawler, DB Ramsey Williams, S Fuller, Rapp or Burgess

Green dot on fuller

Stafford to woods, missed just over his head.
Stafford to Skowronik for about 10
Koski from Wolford drops a 30 yder
Bobby Woods schooled Donte Daeyon with a good move to get open
Wolford to Skoronik for 10
DeSean from Stafford with Ramsey covering, Ramsey knocks it away30 yds deep! Ramsey and DJack having fun with that play.
tristen Jackson nice deep fingertip catch from Wolford with Williams covering

Running plays they are really getting after it, guys ending up in a dogpile several times. Really going hard at it today. McVay telling them to tone it down.

Now doing Red Zone drill. Higbee with a catch over the middle, Kupp low catch right at the goal line. couple running plays that go nowhere.

Ramsey with a pick six off Stafford! Stepped right in front of Jefferson(?) Donald running all the to the end zone with him doing flip at the goal line in celebration. Paly of the Day!
Stafford makes up for it on the next snap finding Kupp in the back of the endzone..

Funk gets in a good end around for a TD

That pretty much did it for me today. All in all the offense got the best of the D today.

Good to see Harris today. Funk continues to get a lot a touches. Both Jackson WR"s are looking good'

Really bummed they weren't in pads. Going 11 on 11 in shorts and shells is fun to watch, but you really can't get good evaluations, especially OL and DL.

My players of the day: Kupp, guy just makes it looks easy, catches everything thrown at him Ramsey: covered everyone, swatted away everything.

Will be there Monday, and hopefully they will be in pads. Sorry for the late post, been a long day.
That’s an awesome report.Almost like I was there.I’d say Ben Skow getting a pass from Stafford again is underrated.

-Yes - I saw Stafford make so many excellent throws & his pocket presence is great. He really feels comfortable & his foot work is something that really separates him from other QB’s

Once again Where is Bryce Hopkins.Have only seen him catch 2 & drop one. He has a hard time finding the passing lane.

The offense & defense with pads will help see if the OLine is for real.IMO I think it is,but the rune game is struggling a little ? Maybe it is how good The D’ Line is though up front.

Henderson from my view does such a good job with them.I don’t think it has been stated enough. They work hard in what I call the pen or corral .
They work the sleds hard!!

-thanks for such an in depth report!!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don’t know where you’re getting your information about Jones but from everything I saw of him he doesn’t go down by first contact. And his instincts hitting the hole and finding the hole is what makes him special. He might not be a home run hitter but he’s more explosive than fast.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm trying to keep positive...

Those damn training camp injury bugs.

DT Bobby Brown is having thumb UCL surgery the same thing Stafford had done.

CB Robert Rochell is having wrist surgery.

R.b78cb80182127b473fd2f16e5afbaf30

I’d say Bobby Brown might have been trying to tough it out as a rookie.Which probably made his injury worse IMO.

Rochele — just saying Funk made it a thing to have defenders rip & swing at the ball.It’s like doing it to much is going to get someone hurt. It’s not like l said anything Day 2,but I can say I could have told you so.Which if my mind set was different Day 2 as it was Day 2 I might have said something.(true). Just glad it wasn’t RAMsey instead. He was really swing a little wild a couple times.I like the effort,but It’s good for when it’s within the play,not to just whale at the ball because of a RB continuing to keep going.
I don’t know if that is what happened,but that is my guess?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don’t know where you’re getting your information about Jones but from everything I saw of him he doesn’t go down by first contact. And his instincts hitting the hole and finding the hole is what makes him special. He might not be a home run hitter but he’s more explosive than fast.
Preseason is when the lights come on.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

is there anybody apart from @oldnotdead that isn't excited about seeing jones strut his stuff in preseason?

I am exited to see him, for sure. If the coaches are happy with Jones we probably sit tight at RB.

Jones feels like THE KEY PLAYER to the entire RB depth chart.

Henderson and Funk are locked in. It all comes down to where Jones is at.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Competitive redzone period delights crowd: 10 Observations from Day 4 of Rams 2021 Training Camp​

IRVINE, Calif. – The Rams welcomed a big crowd to UC Irvine on Saturday for their fourth practice of 2021 Training Camp presented by UNIFY Financial Credit Union, and the fans on hand for Family Day didn't come away disappointed thanks to a competitive redzone period and other fun moments.

Staff writer Stu Jackson shares 10 Observations from the session:

1) Five goes for six: Cornerback Jalen Ramsey had one of the top plays of the day, intercepting a Matthew Stafford pass during red zone drills and returning it most of the distance toward the opposite endzone, with defensive lineman Aaron Donald somersaulting into the endzone to finish the play off. While it wasn't clear how Donald got the ball, there was a similar play during last year's training camp where Ramsey intercepted a pass and ran it most of the way back before lateraling the ball to Donald just before the goal line so Donald could score.

View: https://twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1421619092671254532?s=21

2) Then 9 finds 10: Stafford's response to the interception was equally impressive. The next play, he escaped the pocket and found wide receiver Cooper Kupp in the back corner of the endzone for a touchdown.

View: https://twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1421620781394534402?s=21

3) No-look pass: The redzone period ended with Stafford firing a no-look pass to running back Darrell Henderson Jr. for a touchdown.

4) Ramsey vs. DeSean Jackson: To the delight of the crowd, the final rep of one-on-one drills featured Ramsey lining up against DeSean Jackson. Stafford launched a deep ball down the right sideline, but Ramsey was there to break up the pass. The efforts of both the receiver and cornerback – and probably Stafford for the deep shot – garnered cheers from the crowd.

5) Getting a look at the running backs: Henderson looked explosive, while Xavier Jones and Jake Funk showed good agility. All three had touchdowns during the redzone period. Funk specifically had a nice outside run where he beat the defender to the pylon for the score.

6) Woods' big day: During 11-on-11 drills, Stafford fired a tight-window throw to Woods near the sideline, and Woods was able to get both feet in down while making the catch. Then, in a separate team drill emphasizing moving the ball, Stafford ended that drill threading the ball between two defenders to find Woods for the touchdown. Woods also had a sideline catch during the quarterbacks and wide receivers' preliminary throwing sessions on a sideline throw by Stafford that he juggled and successfully corralled with both feet in bounds, drawing cheers and applause from fans.

View: https://twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1421634670236557313?s=21

7) Ben Skowronek's strong hands: Rookie wide receiver Ben Skowronek had another good session, catching a deep ball from backup quarterback John Wolford over the middle. Later on, in redzone work, Skowronek made a catch in tight coverage near the pylon, but defensive back Kareem Orr was there in time to prevent Skowronek from reaching over or crossing the goal line.

8) Denied by David Long Jr.: Cornerback David Long Jr. had a nice pass breakup on a Stafford pass intended for Kupp during 1-on-1s.

9) Micah Kiser's instincts: While linebacker Micah Kiser's instincts are nothing new given his tackling production, on Saturday he showed it during the move the ball team drill by ripping the ball loose from a receiver after they made the catch on a Stafford pass.

10) Family Day includes players, too: After Saturday's practice concluded, several players were greeted by their families as they came off the field.