Camp report 8/6/14 A Look at the Roster Defensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
DEFENSE

Defensive Line: (14)

Defensive Ends:

94 Robert Quinn 6'4 264 4 North Carolina

He is arguably the most dominant defensive player in the NFL right now, and from what he is showing in training camp there is nothing that would suggest that is going to change. His get off is so explosive, his tilt and ability to turn the corner is unmatched in the game right now. The biggest thing about Robert Quinn, is his improvement in play recognition, and being a force in the running game. Through the first 2 years of his career, he was solely concerned with pinning his ears back and getting up field. Now he seems to understand when to and when to set the edge. While matching his sack totals may be within his reach, not achieving that will in no way be a fair indicator of how disruptive he will be overall.

91 Chris Long 6'3 270 7 Virginia

He seems to be playing with a renewed enthusiasm, and looks to be genuinely having fun on the practice field. Known as someone who leads by example, that remains a constant in Long’s game. While he won’t get the headlines that Quinn receives, no one out works this guy on the practice field. He looks healthy, and if that continues, he likely returns to a double digit sack year.

95 William Hayes 6'3 278 7 Winston-Salem St.

Hayes has been slow to work his way back into the rotation this training camp. When he has participated, he looks as big and physical as ever. I realize he is a veteran who knows how to prepare for a season, but if these injuries remain to nag him throughout the season, it could impact his role. When healthy, he has proven to be one of, if not the best rotational DE in the league. AS deep as this unit it, they need a healthy Wm. Hayes this season.

97 Eugene Sims 6'6 269 5 West Texas A&M

Another guy who is having a very good training camp, he just continues to gain confidence. Going against predominantly 2nd unit LT’s (Person or Van Dyk) he has had his way most practices. An underrated member of the d-line rotation, he can focus on playing DE this year, and so far, has not been used in any situations where he slides inside to DT.

96 Michael Sam 6'2 261 R Missouri

With all pf the off - field fodder, Michael Sam has done a very good job of focusing on his task at hand and that’s leaving it on the field. He got off to a really good start, and has taken most of the 2nd AND 3rd unit reps in Wm. Hayes' absence. Before they put pads on, he won more battles vs. Hooey than he lost. Since then he seems to have leveled off, but by no means am I saying he doesn’t belong. He is getting regular reps on Special Teams as a back line blocker (wedge) on the Kickoff Return team.

57 Sammy Brown 6'2 254 2 Houston

Sammy Brown in now participating in his 3rd Training Camp, and he FINALLY has made it to the field. He is just now getting back involved in the unit drills, and has shown some explosiveness in one on one drills. He has yet to be included in any team drills, be it on defense or Special Teams. Unless he flashes in the Preseason games, I think he will find tough sledding to make the roster.

62 Ethan Westbrooks 6'3 267 R West Texas A&M

He finally made it on the field after spending the first two weeks of camp on the Non-football PUP list. It’s easy to see why the Rams made him the highest paid UDFA on this year’s group. He is taking reps mainly at DT since coming back, but he gets a turn at DE on occasion, and that is where he is most likely to have an impact. He is very athletic, and quick off the ball. He can dominate the 3rd unit OL in one on one drills, but has not been as good against some of the better guys. It could come down to him and Sam if they decide to keep an extra DE. But he has not shown up on any special teams at this point, so that may work against him in the long run.

93 Kourtnei Brown 6'5 256 1 Clemson

Last player added to the roster at the start of training camp, he has shown pretty well for himself at DE with the 3rd unit. He benefited from Westbrooks and S. Brown’s absence, and shows some ability to get up field. Reminds me a little of Gerald Rivers, and could end up being someone they consider adding to the Practice Squad.

Defensive Tackle:

90 Michael Brockers 6'5 326 3 LSU

While Brockers is entering his 3rd season in the NFL, at 23 he is only going to get better as he matures. He was a BIG kid when he got here, now he is a MAN. Physically, to see him develop and just get leaner and stronger has been fun. He is hard to handle one on one, and should be a force inside to be reckoned with.

98 Kendall Langford 6'6 313 7 Hampton

Continues to get 1st unit reps, and is a nice fit with Brockers inside. He was having a good camp, until missing the past couple of practices with an unknown ailment. He should be part of the rotation, and there is nothing to suggest he won’t continue to build on a good year.

92 Alex Carrington 6'5 301 5 Arkansas State

Carrington has gotten the majority of 2nd unit reps, and has flashed on occasion. He looks to have good instincts and should fit in well. Physical at the point of attack, and has shown the ability to get penetration from inside. Looks to be a nice FA pickup.

71 Matt Conrath 6'7 306 3 Virginia

One of the players who came to camp noticeably bigger and appears stronger. Another in his 3rd training camp, when he got here in 2012, he was tall and lanky at 275 lbs. He is not that same skinny kid any longer. They like his size, and reach. He does a good job against the run, but causes problem with his 6’7 frame in the short passing game. He is also one of the key guys lining up on the Kickoff Return team. Might be a surprise to stick on the 53 man roster.

99 Aaron Donald 6'1 285 R Pittsburgh

No one on the defensive side of the ball has been talked about more than Aaron Donald. And with good reason. While things have leveled off somewhat now that he is being mixed in with the 1st unit in some of the teams drills, most of his early success was against the lesser 3rd team offense. But don’t let that fool you into thinking he isn’t as good as advertised. His get off is unmatched by anyone on this roster. His technique exceeds his experience. His ability to use his hands is that of a much more seasoned pro. He will be a big part of the rotation on defense. And it won’t just to be a pass rushing presence from the DT spot. He can and will be effective vs. the run as well.

68 Deantra Harlan 6'4 281 R Bacone

The last of the UDFA linemen, he has taken advantage of regular reps with the 3rd unit to show some ability. He has stood up well against the run, but as the 6th DT on this roster, his days are limited. He is a guy who might get a look from another organization if he can show something in the Preseason Games.

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
It sucks that we have to lose a couple of these guys. If Sam or Westbrooks don't make it, they'll make it on another roster. No doubt in my mind.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sammy Brown was a guy who had some great film, and better numbers from college. It is always a wonder how guys like this can't convert to OLB and just make a team. Westbrooks from a much smaller school, so I get it. Still his numbers say to me, he's a player to make an NFL roster. I'll be watching for this guy on Friday. Harlan fits in with these two...
Coach I always assumed Cujo was better than Conrath. I guess this is a case of the ceiling, or upside catching up with a player. Never been impressed with Conrath. I don't think I've ever seen him make a tackle.
Any ideas if Carrington will take a lil while, ala Langford since he's switching from a 3-4 DE too?
Like this defensive line. It takes a bunch of worry off my concerns for the secondary. In fact, I expect JJ, Tru, TJ Mc, and even, gulp, McLeod to thrive behind this group of powerful men. How long until Donald & Brockers are the primary starters? week 8? week 10? week 2?
Great write up coach0, I'm just waiting for those DB's & LB's now.......;):D:cool::LOL:(y)

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It sucks that we have to lose a couple of these guys. If Sam or Westbrooks don't make it, they'll make it on another roster. No doubt in my mind.
I understand your point, but it sure as hell beats the alternative. That being so depleted of talent, that WE were the ones hoping these guys could make our team and contribute.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yeah. I don't think they make it to the practice squad either.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sammy Brown was a guy who had some great film, and better numbers from college. It is always a wonder how guys like this can't convert to OLB and just make a team. Westbrooks from a much smaller school, so I get it. Still his numbers say to me, he's a player to make an NFL roster. I'll be watching for this guy on Friday. Harlan fits in with these two...
Coach I always assumed Cujo was better than Conrath. I guess this is a case of the ceiling, or upside catching up with a player. Never been impressed with Conrath. I don't think I've ever seen him make a tackle.
Any ideas if Carrington will take a lil while, ala Langford since he's switching from a 3-4 DE too?
Like this defensive line. It takes a bunch of worry off my concerns for the secondary. In fact, I expect JJ, Tru, TJ Mc, and even, gulp, McLeod to thrive behind this group of powerful men. How long until Donald & Brockers are the primary starters? week 8? week 10? week 2?
Great write up coach0, I'm just waiting for those DB's & LB's now.......;):D:cool::LOL:(y)

The Matt Conrath you will see on Friday night is not the same guy you have seen on a limited basis the past two years. Too light and got pushed around. This guy came to camp bigger and stronger. Does that mean he makes the team? I guess that is why they play the Preseason,, But I know they love his size and reach.

They tried to move Sammy Brown to OLB, but he could never stay on the field long enough to give them any chance to evaluate him... I have also heard a few tidbits about his "personality" or lack thereof, and how some question his work ethic.

Don't see Carrington having any issues adjusting to this defense. Plus he has the advantage of being a rotational guy, not a key starter as Langford was when he got here.

As far as Donald being a "primary starter", I don't think you will see that for a while. I think he will become a vital part of the rotation, but the way Mike Wauffle rotates his DL, it isn't going to matter who's name gets announced as the starter.

Last edited:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
The Matt Conrath you will see on Friday night is not the same guy you have seen on a limited basis the past two years. Too light and got pushed around. This guy came to camp bigger and stronger. Does that mean he makes the team? I guess that is why they play the Preseason,, But I know they love his size and reach.

They tried to move Sammy Brown to OLB, but he could never stay on the field long enough to give them any chance to evaluate him... I have also heard a few tidbits about his "personality" or lack thereof, and how some question his work ethic.

Don't Carrington having any issues adjusting to this defense. Plus he has the advantage of being a rotational guy, not a key starter as Langford was when he got here.

As far as Donald being a "primary starter", I don't think you will see that for a while. I think he will become a vital part of the rotation, but the way Mike Wauffle rotates his DL, it isn't going to matter who's name gets announced as the starter.

How has Sammy Brown stayed around this whole time then? I forget he's even on the team, and he's been here for a while earning paychecks for doing nothing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How has Sammy Brown stayed around this whole time then? I forget he's even on the team, and he's been here for a while earning paychecks for doing nothing.
He had like 40 TFL & 30 sacks in one year at U of Houston..Hell, I thought he was gonna be Lawrence Taylor...

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Coach-

So glad you came over here from the...you know..

Very appreciative of all your reports. Makes waiting for the real games so much easier.

BW

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
"Any ideas if Carrington will take a lil while, ala Langford since he's switching from a 3-4 DE too? "

Misnomer that Langford was a 3-4 DE. He was listed at that, but played lots of spots, very few were as a 3-4 DE, they played a hybrid system in Miami and Langford usually was a 3-tech or 1-tech just like he is now. And similar holds with Carrington. ALthough Carrington was mostly a 4-3 DT in the nickle when he was
healthy. Here are some of the things Langford did in Miami, very little 3-4 twp-gapping.
miamitwogap.jpg
miamione.jpg
maimi342.jpg
dal.jpg
dal2.jpg
1tec.jpg
miaminick.jpg
[/
meianbear.jpg
QUOTE]
main3-4one.jpg
maimi34.jpg
nick.jpg

nicker.jpg

standupde.jpg
2g.jpg
bear22.jpg

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Don't see Carrington having any issues adjusting to this defense. Plus he has the advantage of being a rotational guy, not a key starter as Langford was when he got here.

Agree, Carrington with Bills was a usualy situational pass rusher, and a one-gap defender when he played base. Similar to Langford, which is why they like him. Donald will begin as a rotational guy but get his feet wet as a rusher in likely passing downs.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Looking for help on your dline? Look at who doesn't make the Rams roster as a FA pickup.

We've got some serious talent and some very good talent isn't going to make it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wish the Rams had been able to sign Carrington to a longer deal. One year with this D line will net him a big contract I bet. Even as a bit player he should have success with his supporting cast. I really like what he brings to the Dline. I watch Buffalo a bit as sort of a second team (Friends team actually) and I was very happy to see Carrington come to the Rams. He was their William Hayes when it came to rotational production.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah. I don't think they make it to the practice squad either.
IF (BIG IF) Sam doesn't make the 53, and we try to stash him on the PS, at least we'll find out how many Teams in the NFL think like Coach Dungy! ( No disrespect!!)

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Or they'll carry him in Bailey's roster spot until he gets back.

fearsomefour

Legend
I am so glad the Rams first choice stood them up and the Rams "settled" for Langford. He had some bad games vs the run last year but overall has been very solid. Really looking forward to see what Brockers does this year.
Only two DT topped 10 sacks last year. Sacks in and of itself does not indicate level of play for a DT. We know Brockers/Langford was solid vs the run last year while to totaling 10.5 sacks between them.
Brockers/Langford/Carrington/Donald should be stout vs the run with a mixed bag of skill sets. I would expect the sack numbers for the DT group to jump. Allowing Hayes and Sims to stay at DE is an advantage as well. Sims is very undervalued and Hayes would be starting most places.
Conrath, Sam, Brown fighting for depth.
Exciting group. If Brockers has a break out year this could be the best D line group (and front 7) in football.
Brockers is the key to me. What a great pick he could turn out to be. Really signaled a change in philosophy with the new coach/GM. Talk swirling of drafting a QB....trade down and take a DT. It starts up front.