Camp Report - 8/6/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/6/13

Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Jemelle Cudjo; Sammy Brown; Andrew Helmick; Matt Giordano; and Zac Stacy

Chris Long was dressed and participated in units drills, but no TEAM DRILLS… would not be surprised if he doesn’t see much, if any action on Thursday

Matt Daniels and Nick Johnson participated

GSOT represented Torry Holt was very active throughout practice, even “getting involved “ with a few of the WR drills

Offensive Line:
1st Unit: Long S. Smith Wells Dahl Saffold
2nd Unit: Barksdale C. Williams Barnes Washington Nsekhe
LG rotation holds true for another day

Today: 2nd unit QB was Austin Davis; Kellen Clemens taking 3rd unit reps

It appears they have settled on Davis as the #2 (for now) He took all the 2nd unit reps again today (counting the scrimmage, it’s the 3rd day in a row.

Theme of the day: Offense was clicking --- defense looked to be going less than full speed in coverage

Brian Quick and Austin Pettis were stars of the day! … for the second day in a row, Quick stood out with crisp routes, and ability to catch the ball in coverage. Plenty of “dig” routes, almost uncoverable on this route.

Pettis beat Finnegan early and often in both 7 on 7 and again in 11 on 11.

Janoris Jenkins just looks to be the BPOT!!! (best player on the team) He makes it look so effortless, and yet, he shuts down whoever he is lined up against whenever he wants to.

Terrance Ganaway is very “light on his feet” for a 240 lb RB. Had the best run of the day! Hole was huge, made one cut and was gone.

Cody Davis now taking all of his reps with the 2nd unit. He looks better and better everyday. Nice interception stepping in front of TE on a deep seam throw.

Matt Daniels saw his first action in team drills, getting 3rd unit reps alongside Rashard Hall

Daryl Richardson RAN OVER McDonald, which got the attention of quite a few of the defenders.

James Laurinaitis was wound up today. He was "hitting" guys all over the field.

Finished practiced with 1’s and 2’s working against the “scout team” who was lined up in Cleveland’s 3-4 defense. 1st and 2nd Unit Defense lined up against Cleveland’s offense. Not that they have game planned, for Thursday, but Fisher did mention they would give their lines a look at what Cleveland does.

SPECIAL TEAMS : Kickoff teams

o 1st Unit:
o McDonald Hull McNeill McLeod Zurelein Pointer Harkey Sims Daniels Reynolds Stewart
o 2nd Unit:
o Steeples McGee Graham Bates Cunningham Baer Hall Armstrong J. Stewart C. Davis Bailey

PUNT Teams:
o 1st Unit:
o Pointer McNeill Hull Armstrong McQuiade Sims Bates Harkey McLeod Reynolds Hekker
o 2nd Unit
o Bailey McDonald Ogletree Potter Hus J. Stewart Bodine Graham McGee Cunnigham Baer

Player Observations:
This looks like a team who needs to play against someone else. The intensity is there, but it looks as though they have reached the point where it’s PRACTICE. Especially to a few of the veterans.

There seems to be some concern about Scott Wells amongst many of the posters, and the interior of the OLine in general. This is the most veteran group on the team, and while they do need to begin to come together as a unit, I get the sense from watching them, that they “know” what it takes to be ready, and they are approaching this as it IS PRACTICE.

While there are some legitimate health concerns across the line, someone like Scott Wells doesn’t need to push himself to know what it takes to be ready come Sept. 8th.

Same for Jake Long, Harvey Dahl and Rodger Saffold. The competition at LG is another story. I think both guys are actually acquitting themselves pretty well.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like the way you lay out these reports.

This speaks volumes;

This looks like a team who needs to play against someone else. The intensity is there, but it looks as though they have reached the point where it’s PRACTICE. Especially to a few of the veterans.

There seems to be some concern about Scott Wells amongst many of the posters, and the interior of the OLine in general. This is the most veteran group on the team, and while they do need to begin to come together as a unit, I get the sense from watching them, that they “know” what it takes to be ready, and they are approaching this as it IS PRACTICE.

While there are some legitimate health concerns across the line, someone like Scott Wells doesn’t need to push himself to know what it takes to be ready come Sept. 8th.

Same for Jake Long, Harvey Dahl and Rodger Saffold. The competition at LG is another story. I think both guys are actually acquitting themselves pretty well.

I think you are right on all accounts and especially (and thankfully) ready to face some competition.

I have NO WORRIES with Long, Wells, Dahl, and Stafford... outside of maintaining health. These are proven good players. This line is stout!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CGI_Ram said:

This speaks volumes;

I think you are right on all accounts and especially (and thankfully) ready to face some competition.

I have NO WORRIES with Long, Wells, Dahl, and Stafford... outside of maintaining health. These are proven good players. This line is stout!

Thanks, and I try to keep my editorial remarks to a minimum. But in this case, I felt it needed to be addressed. (as I see it) Fisher made reference to being done with "Phase One" of training camp after the scrimmage on Saturday. They have gone hard for 2 weeks (10 practices), and now I see them getting to the point where they are going to start getting "game ready" as Fisher stated it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CoachO said:
CGI_Ram said:

This speaks volumes;

Thanks, and I try to keep my editorial remarks to a minimum. But in this case, I felt it needed to be addressed. (as I see it) Fisher made reference to being done with "Phase One" of training camp after the scrimmage on Saturday. They have gone hard for 2 weeks (10 practices), and now I see them getting to the point where they are going to start getting "game ready" as Fisher stated it.

That's good "reporting", if I will. It's an assembly of your observations.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
CoachO said:
Brian Quick and Austin Pettis were stars of the day! … for the second day in a row, Quick stood out with crisp routes, and ability to catch the ball in coverage. Plenty of “dig” routes, almost uncoverable on this route.
Really excited to hear this. Thanks again, CoachO

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I'm with CGI on this Coach, I like the way you word your stuff. Great job. :notworthy:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
CoachO said:
Janoris Jenkins just looks to be the BPOT!!! (best player on the team) He makes it look so effortless, and yet, he shuts down whoever he is lined up against whenever he wants to.

Terrance Ganaway is very “light on his feet” for a 240 lb RB. Had the best run of the day! Hole was huge, made one cut and was gone.

Great news on Jenkins, the guy is just so athletic, its fun to watch him play.

And I'm rooting for Ganaway, I really think he can be good, hopefully he makes the team.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
And how weird will it be to see Sam drop back to pass and not have guys crashing in on him on almost every attempt?

Can't wait to see that.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
CGI_Ram said:
CoachO said:
CGI_Ram said:

This speaks volumes;

That's good "reporting", if I will. It's an assembly of your observations.[/q

I agree and it's refreshing. We do well as the peanut gallery anyways :hehe:

A couple of things I was thinking:

Do you suppose the D seeming not going full bore is Fisher's orders to take it easy and let the O get some groove going as the first pre-season game approaches? And second, do you think it a detriment to the D's readiness when you don't practice like you play? You hear that "great teams practice like they play" mantra but although that may hold true all the way up to college ball, does it hold water in the NFL? Thanks again CoachO for great info.

nighttrain

Legend
two items i liked VERY much
• Brian Quick and Austin Pettis were stars of the day! … for the second day in a row, Quick stood out with crisp routes, and ability to catch the ball in coverage. Plenty of “dig” routes, almost uncoverable on this route.
• Cody Davis working with the 2nd unit

train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
CoachO said:
Not sure why you would limit your editorial remarks? I commented on your reports & how much I appreciate them last week. I sure have NO problems understanding your factual report along side your Ed's. Your Editorials would be a plus IMO. Can not tell you how much I look forward to finding your daily post amongst the golden nuggets here in ROD' land.

I am for one who has maintained through my posts here that I still have some serious concerns about Wells. The rest of the OL starters not as much. For Wells he will have to show me..... ( No I am not from Missouri either)... he is what he was @ the end of 2011 season with the Packers before my concerns will diminish.

CGI & I were long time posters on another forum last season but he will remember that I was very vocal & hard on Wells when he returned. I feel real bad now knowing what I know now ...but I had no ideal that he had sustained another bad knee injury on his first practice back from the foot surgery rehab, to the same knee he had scoped earlier in the year. So that's a very important thing to keep in our minds that he played through that serious bad pain to be in that lineup and then had to have the knee scoped once again after the season concluded and go through his third rehabbing event in less than 8 months. That some true grit there. Kudos to Scott Wells! :notworthy: :nice:

Its been written in stone over & over how well the Ram 2012 OL played when Wells returned in week 11. Yes the OL was much improved when Wells was inserted back into the OL. What is also factual then was the Rams starting OLG Robert Turner & Rodger Saffold returned with Wells to start in their original OL posts the first time since the first half of the first game. What I observed during the game & posted in the chat room during the game & the following week after each game .....was a center (Wells) who was NOT effective in the run game or pass protection. You can be assured that my eyes will be on the OL and much directed at center.

My observations on the other noted concern @ OLG is Chris Williams played ORG the last games games in 2012 for Harvey Dahl Shelley started but as the game went on CW stayed on the field longer & longer. As the games progressed he got better. Not sure what clicked for CW last yr @ ORG but I never saw him as good as he was playing ORG. he was by far the most aggressive & played well after the whistle. His pass protection was far superior to that of Shelley. Shelley was by far the better puller in run plays but CW was the better rounded OG IMO. I was so impressed with CW @ ORG I thought he was every bit as good as my favorite OL'er Harvey Dahl.

In conclusion other ROD'mers who have not seen what you have experienced will get a chance here real soon to see for ourselves what is occurring with this new 2013 Ram team. But I am sure that your reports will be true as written to being factual & accurate! Once gain Big thanks from the deep south.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Am I the only one worried that Pettis is beating Finnegan. I mean, I'm glad our WRs are winning one-on-one matchups, but our #4 WR should not be consistently winning against Finnegan.

I havent heard a lot of positives about Finnegan throughout camp. Does he look like he has lost a step?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
libertadrocks said:
Am I the only one worried that Pettis is beating Finnegan. I mean, I'm glad our WRs are winning one-on-one matchups, but our #4 WR should not be consistently winning against Finnegan.

I havent heard a lot of positives about Finnegan throughout camp. Does he look like he has lost a step?

I am NOT concerned about Finnegan in the least. He is one of the "veterans", IMO, who knows what is needed once "it counts".

Yesterday's practice amounted to more of a "walk through" for the offense at full speed, with the defense not putting up a whole lot of resistance. It was too widespread throughout the entire unit to put it on one or two guys.

This had all the earmarks of a "final tuneup" for the Preseason contest with the Cleveland Browns. I think we as fans, are so thirsty for anything and everything in terms of information, that we have a tendency of putting way too much stock into what happens on a day to day basis during training camp. At the end of the day, in the immortal words of the infamous Allen Iverson, "it's practice man! We are talking about PRACTICE!!!"

Now if I saw these tendencies from one of the UDFA's or one of the rookie draft picks trying to make the team, I would start to wonder. But we are talking about a very seasoned veteran, who knows what it takes to get ready for Sept. 8th.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
BonifayRam said:
CoachO said:
Not sure why you would limit your editorial remarks? I commented on your reports & how much I appreciate them last week. I sure have NO problems understanding your factual report along side your Ed's. Your Editorials would be a plus IMO. Can not tell you how much I look forward to finding your daily post amongst the golden nuggets here in ROD' land.

I am for one who has maintained through my posts here that I still have some serious concerns about Wells. The rest of the OL starters not as much. For Wells he will have to show me..... ( No I am not from Missouri either)... he is what he was @ the end of 2011 season with the Packers before my concerns will diminish.

CGI & I were long time posters on another forum last season but he will remember that I was very vocal & hard on Wells when he returned. I feel real bad now knowing what I know now ...but I had no ideal that he had sustained another bad knee injury on his first practice back from the foot surgery rehab, to the same knee he had scoped earlier in the year. So that's a very important thing to keep in our minds that he played through that serious bad pain to be in that lineup and then had to have the knee scoped once again after the season concluded and go through his third rehabbing event in less than 8 months. That some true grit there. Kudos to Scott Wells! :notworthy: :nice:

Its been written in stone over & over how well the Ram 2012 OL played when Wells returned in week 11. Yes the OL was much improved when Wells was inserted back into the OL. What is also factual then was the Rams starting OLG Robert Turner & Rodger Saffold returned with Wells to start in their original OL posts the first time since the first half of the first game. What I observed during the game & posted in the chat room during the game & the following week after each game .....was a center (Wells) who was NOT effective in the run game or pass protection. You can be assured that my eyes will be on the OL and much directed at center.

My observations on the other noted concern @ OLG is Chris Williams played ORG the last games games in 2012 for Harvey Dahl Shelley started but as the game went on CW stayed on the field longer & longer. As the games progressed he got better. Not sure what clicked for CW last yr @ ORG but I never saw him as good as he was playing ORG. he was by far the most aggressive & played well after the whistle. His pass protection was far superior to that of Shelley. Shelley was by far the better puller in run plays but CW was the better rounded OG IMO. I was so impressed with CW @ ORG I thought he was every bit as good as my favorite OL'er Harvey Dahl.

In conclusion other ROD'mers who have not seen what you have experienced will get a chance here real soon to see for ourselves what is occurring with this new 2013 Ram team. But I am sure that your reports will be true as written to being factual & accurate! Once gain Big thanks from the deep south.

Not really sure what to say to this, other than to say thanks. I truly appreciate your comments. As far as keeping my editorial comments to a minimum, I don't want to come across as having any sort of agenda when writing these camp reports. I want to document what I see, not what I want to see.

I do try to see what is happening on the practice field, and understand the thought process behind it (usually without any real information other than my educated guess). This falls under the topics of noticing what they are working on during teams drill ( i.e. 2-minute offense, vs. RedZone offense, etc) and paying close attention to personnel groupings in each portion of practice.

Anyway, again, I just want to say that I sincerely appreciate the kind words regarding my contributions to ROD.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
libertadrocks asked:

As you catch up on the rest of the threads you'll find the one where I'm getting beat up about that same issue with Finnegan. :lol:

You're not alone brother! :cheers:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
CoachO...where do you usually sit?

I've been out there to practice a few times...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When Pettis was beating Finnegan (excellent), was that working out of the slot or on the outside?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Sum1BTRthnU said:
CoachO...where do you usually sit?

I've been out there to practice a few times...

Usually sitting near the "DJ tent" around the 30 yrd line or so. Sitting in a lawn chair with my binoculars and notebook in tow. Lol