Camp Report 8/4

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I think this is an excellent write up! I like how you explain what you saw, but make it very clear when you are expressing an opinion. You don't treat your opinions as fact, which not only helps me extrapolate and form my opinion, but it also grows my respect for yours. Excellent!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Add me to the long list of admirers of your report, 12.

And "longer" is a good thing, man. The longer the better when it comes with such detail.

Any further insight on the various OL players would be most appreciated.

Anybody else getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about all the praise going out to Rodriguez and Bryant? We might be onto something with those two, huh?

Can't wait for your Thurs and Fri reports, 12. My easy chair is very comfortable, but it's 1800 miles away from the action, dammit!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think this is an excellent write up! I like how you explain what you saw, but make it very clear when you are expressing an opinion. You don't treat your opinions as fact, which not only helps me extrapolate and form my opinion, but it also grows my respect for yours. Excellent!

c'mon man. nobody treats their opinions as fact.

except maybe hammer.

iced

With this o-line, i see a LOT of power-o and pulling of guards in addition to zone blocking.... it's all up to cig to master mind the play calling - but i see a ton of mauling potential, especially since they're practicing against the best....

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Spot on.

Alan

Legend
We have so many knowledgeable posters here. It's always a joy to read our stuff.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice job 12intheBox, excellent read and I like the way you laid it out. Are you sure this is your first camp report :cool:

Last edited:

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Appreciate your work @12intheBox

3. Rodriguez will make the squad. Fish has great respect for the military as is, and between this guy's play and story, I think he has it.

Great report @12intheBox especially that you look at Mannion through rose colored glasses, but I'm pleased with your evaluation and agree with the Rodriguez comparison to Amendola, but I'm sure he would be more durable...Thank you again sir!
I am indeed pulling for Rodriguez. If bullets, shrapnel, and the Al Qaeda can't stop him, I don't think a Whiner, or Seahawk, or Cardinal will. Just my opinion.

Great report, I really enjoyed reading it. I wish I could get out to TC to meet all of you ROD brothers! My TC mate (my 13 year old son) won't be with me until school starts up next week and I would feel guilty going without him, lol.
You could just not tell him and go with the intention of having a miserable time.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Great job 12....loved it!!!!!!

Go Rams......... ;)

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow - thanks for the kind feedback, everyone. Since my dissertation apparently wasn't too long - I'll go ahead and write up the things I left out.

I finally understood what O and others meant when they talked about GZ hitting the guy in the box. The coaches have these platforms that they stand on that elevate like 40 yards off the ground for an arial look. They have one of these behind the goal post - and while I didn't see Greg hit the guy - it's clear that he would need to be aiming for him - the guy is up there.

A guy I didn't touch on much was Tree. As a caveat, Tree was one of my guys pre draft so I look at him with rose colored glasses. He didn't flash a ton in this practice to me - but what I did notice is his coverage - especially on the tight ends in the flats - he was nice and physical off the line with them and stuck with them thru the sidelines on the skeleton drills I watched.

As for D Rodriguez, I think the PS is in his future. Yeah, he is catching the ball out there but he is going up against 2s and mostly 3s when he does.

All in all, I was surprised how quiet practice was. Greg Williams was animated early in practice but even he quieted down. Most of that is probably just a distance from the action thing. Hopefully, they will do more work on the near field next time. I mentioned a few skirmishes and they were just that. About 4-5 seconds of pushing for the worst of them - all followed by smiles - which I took to be a decent sign of discipline.

Chris Long was a lot like JL - just hustling from drill to drill. I didn't see him flash much - not sure if was full go for practice or not - but he was setting a good practice tone as a leader.

Every now and then I would catch a ball rocketing into the air and it would be Hekker just launching one. It's even more impressive in person than it is on TV.

For a team that wants to run the ball, they sure threw a lot in practice. Id say it was 65/35 pass/run at the best. May have been the focus of this practice - but that's about what I saw.

It was impossible to see what kind of holes the O line was putting together in the run game - a few runs got stuffed early and a few broke free - but they weren't tackling all the way to the ground and Mason was playing well thru the whistle which gave the impression that some runs were going longer than they really would have. Several of the deep passes clearly would have been sacks as well if the bullets were live.

101 ESPN was reporting live and interviewed Aaron Donald after the practice - he is a thick man and he was very patient with the fans to sign, take pictures, etc - even though it wasn't D Line autograph day.

Keep in mind with these "reports" that luck plays a big part in what I see. There are like 6 different drills going on at a time, so when I see a negative or a positive - it's just a chance thing. Extremely small sample sizes for my impressions on all of these guys. As I have said, I came to camp full of biases anyway - both for and against certain guys - which doesn't help much with objectivity. I'll try to keep making sure to caveat when my personal opinions color what I am seeing - I certainly don't want to give too strong of an impression for anyone on the team - good or bad.

Thursday's focus is going to be O line for me on offense and probably DBs on defense - assuming I can see a bit better. If anyone has anything specific they want me to look out for - let me know.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Excellent job, 12.. great report and looking forward to your next one. I haven't been able to make a practice yet since I was out of town this past weekend and had meetings for work yesterday... but hope to get out there tomorrow and maybe over the weekend. Would love to meet up with some of you guys.

RamzFanz

Damnit
101 ESPN was reporting live and interviewed Aaron Donald after the practice - he is a thick man and he was very patient with the fans to sign, take pictures, etc - even though it wasn't D Line autograph day.

donald.JPG

Stel

Starter
Good job, 12. Makes me wish I could get away to get there.

I was a Mannion fan, too. Only thing that worried me about him was hand size. The guy played well for (and often carried) a mediocre team. I'm beginning to think it might be a 3 way race for the #2 spot.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for the report, 12!

Well done!