Camp Report - 8/20/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
--Camp Report 8/20/13

Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Jemelle Cudjo; Matt Giordano; Sammy Brown; Sean Hooey Jabara Williams; Eugene Sims; Darian Stewart; Tavon Austin (excused for personal reasons)

Lance Kendricks worked out with Trainer on back field, catching passes from our “backup” to our Backup QB (J. Hekker)

Rodger Saffold participated in Units drills, (WITH HELMET) with 1st unit, but did NOT participate in any of the TEAM DRILLS. Suffice to say, he is close to returning.

TJ McDonald back and included in SEVEN on SEVEN but did not Participate in ELEVEN on ELEVEN

Offensive Line:
1st Unit: Long S. Smith Wells Dahl Barksdale
2nd Unit: Nsekhe C. Williams Barnes B. Jones B Washington
LG rotation holds true for another day

Today: 2nd unit QB was Austin Davis was taking the 2nd unit reps; Kellen Clemens back to 3rd unit

Theme of the day: Can’t we all just get along? TEMPERS FLARE!

• After a BIG HIT by Jo-Lonn Dunbar on Zac Stacy near the sideline, Jared Cook took exception to it, shoved Dunbar, who ripped Cook’s helmet off, which was followed up with a missed punch being thrown by CHRIS LONG at Jared Cook. This was much more than the typical “camp” scrap, and the intensity of the practice picked up immediately. That particular drill ended soon and while the players moved to the other end of the field, Jared Cook and Jo-Lonn Dunbar had a brief conversation across the field. While the rest of the team got involved in the next team drill, Dunbar stood alone on that end of the field almost as if he was trying to collect himself, and regain his composure.

• In the subsequent drill, on a swing pass, Daren Bates blasted Bennie Cunningham (I believe), way beyond the scope of what is deemed “acceptable” contact. Joe Barksdale came to the aid of the RB. This “tussle” made the first one look like the “warmup”. No less than 8 players ended up in a pile, with punches being thrown, and lots of pushing and shoving. It looked like a hockey fight with players joining in to pull people off the pile.

BACK TO FOOTBALL

• For the first time is quite a while, Austin Davis looked good throwing the football. He connected for what would be the highlight play of the day, hooking up with Brian Quick on a deep post route beating Quinton Pointer for what would have been a 76 yrd TD.

• Also nice completion to Justin Veltung on a "dig route" (15 yard) gain who made a nice sliding catch

• Look for Zac Stacy to be featured this week vs. Denver He and Isaiah Pead took the bulk of the reps out of the backfield today.

Bennie Cunningham took his share of reps, but seemed limited.

Stedman Bailey bounced back today, with a couple of nice grabs in the ELEVEN on ELEVEN, after struggling in the earlier ONE on ONE and SEVEN on SEVEN drills

Trumaine Johnson had one of his best practices

TJ McDonald flashed in SEVEN on SEVEN and jumped a route to McNeill to intercept Bradford

Defense worked in a heavy dose of “over load” blitzes in the ELEVEN on ELEVEN drills. May have had multiple sacks if they were “live”.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Kickoff Return

Worked on blocking schemes with both 1st & 2nd Units. Cody Davis getting 1st unit reps in place of D. Stewart

o Isaiah Pead getting 1st unit reps as Return man

o Andrew Helmick also getting reps in KO Return

Practice came to an abrupt end, as TE Phillip Lutzenkrichen went down after a collision with Daren Bates while running a route with the 3rsd unit. Reggie (Head Trainer) attended to him for a roughly 5 minutes, before Fisher basically said to "bring it in". Lutzenkirchen eventually walked off on his own power, and headed straight to the locker room with Reggie.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
CoachO said:
After a BIG HIT by Jo-Lonn Dunbar on Zac Stacy near the sideline, Jared Cook took exception to it, shoved Dunbar, who ripped Cook’s helmet off, which was followed up with a missed punch being thrown by CHRIS LONG at Jared Cook. This was much more than the typical “camp” scrap, and the intensity of the practice picked up immediately. That particular drill ended soon and while the players moved to the other end of the field, Jared Cook and Jo-Lonn Dunbar had a brief conversation across the field. While the rest of the team got involved in the next team drill, Dunbar stood alone on that end of the field almost as if he was trying to collect himself, and regain his composure.

In the subsequent drill, on a swing pass, Daren Bates blasted Bennie Cunningham (I believe), way beyond the scope of what is deemed “acceptable” contact. Joe Barksdale came to the aid of the RB. This “tussle” made the first one look like the “warmup”. No less than 8 players ended up in a pile, with punches being thrown, and lots of pushing and shoving. It looked like a hockey fight with players joining in to pull people off the pile.
Wow Wow Wow

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rodger Saffold participated in Units drills, (WITH HELMET) with 1st unit, but did NOT participate in any of the TEAM DRILLS. Suffice to say, he is close to returning.
Good to hear. It would be so nice to have that 5 man continuity on the OLine...just once. Hopefully Rodger can rebound and stay on the freakin field.

• Trumaine Johnson had one of his best practices
Thats good because he didn't play well Saturday night.

o Isaiah Pead getting 1st unit reps as Return man
Still a head scratcher to me.

As always thanks for these POV reports CoachO. :2u:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Man,,, I like hearing that the tempers are flaring and the fucking "juices" are flowing heavy. This is Football. :twisted:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Great stuff as always CoachO!

My man Veltung seems to be looking good! :ja:

V3

Hall of Fame
WTF is Pead still doing returning KO's? This is starting to piss me off. He is beyond worthless as a return man. Quit trying to justify the wasted pick by making him a return guy. He's not ever going to succeed at it. If anything it's just making things worse because he never does well so his confidence drops even more than it already has. I think he was the 48th worst return guy in the NFL last year and that was out of 49. He can't even get you to the 20. If they start him as the return guy in the opener I'm going to lose my shyte.

Speeps

Starter
Remember when Les Snead said one of Fishers greatest qualities was the fact he knows when to turn up the heat and when to back down. It's safe to say, the heat is being turned up.

A55VA6

Legend
Speeps said:
Remember when Les Snead said one of Fishers greatest qualities was the fact he knows when to turn up the heat and when to back down. It's safe to say, the heat is being turned up.
Damn right. He'll have this team ready for week 1.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
V3 said:
WTF is Pead still doing returning KO's? This is starting to piss me off. He is beyond worthless as a return man. Quit trying to justify the wasted pick by making him a return guy. He's not ever going to succeed at it. If anything it's just making things worse because he never does well so his confidence drops even more than it already has. I think he was the 48th worst return guy in the NFL last year and that was out of 49. He can't even get you to the 20. If they start him as the return guy in the opener I'm going to lose my shyte.
Pead is out the 1st game of the regular season, so your "shyte" is still safe :)

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
V3 said:

Not quite sure you are getting so worked up over a role that has maybe the least bearing on ANYTHING given the new KO rules. You are basing these returns on PRESEASON GAMES, where the coaches have stated that they want EVERYTHING brought out of the EndZone to evaluate the BLOCKING, as much as the return guys' performance.

So, because none of our return guys seem to be very successful, and as you stated, when they don't get to the 20, doesn't that say more about the lack of blocking than it says about the returner? Fassel stated this very thing last week in his interview. Its more about finding front line blocking, than it is about the return guy.

On the return everyone is clamoring about from last week where Pead ran up the back of Armstrong. Watch the play again, and notice that was Ray Ray Armstrong who was getting shoved INTO Pead as he was just starting to make his initial cut. Ray Armstrong is one of the guys on the 45 yard line, the FIRST LINE of blockers, and he is getting shoved into the return guy on the 15? How is that Pead's (or any returners) fault?

Sometimes it pays to watch the whole field and not just the guy with the ball in his hands.

That being said, I am NOT saying that Pead should or should not be the return guy, but in the grand scheme of the whole RB competition, this is so minor.

fearsomefour

Legend
Really stupid of Long to throw a punch at a guy with no helmet on (almost as dumb as throwing a punch at a guy with a helmet on)....Long is a big dude, last thing we need is Cook out 8 weeks with an orbital bone fracture or something.
Its part of camp I know, but, I would prefer we stay lucky on the bad injury front.

quebecramfan

Rookie
I don't understand all this Pead hate either... I know the guy was a second round pick and all but some players take longer to mature than others. I for one am not worried keeping him on the team as the number 2 behind drich... He'll get another season to learn the ropes and we can scheme around his strenghts.

The guy sure seemed to have improved his pass protection play (and in my book that's a major part in running back play.... specially 3rd down backs)

He's got another 2 weeks to adjust his return game... He looks like a guy who wants to make too much out of nothing because he knows he has alot to prove.... and that always leads to mistakes. I think the best approach for the coaching staff is to be patient with him and I think they will be rewarded... Let him have his touches and good things will come.

bluecoconuts

Legend
For those curious about Tavon Austin, he has gone home for a few days after a death in his family. In fact he left right after Saturday's game, meaning he probably played with a heavy heart.

A55VA6

Legend
bluecoconuts said:
For those curious about Tavon Austin, he has gone home for a few days after a death in his family. In fact he left right after Saturday's game, meaning he probably played with a heavy heart.
I feel bad for him. Alot going on in life right now. Hope him and his family are doing well.

V3

Hall of Fame
Stranger said:
V3 said:
Pead is out the 1st game of the regular season, so your "shyte" is still safe :)

Forgot about that so I'll amend my losing of shyte to the second game.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Thanks again Coach O. Sounds like a pretty intense scrap. Hope to see that intensity carried into Saturday's game

nighttrain

Legend
Thanks for all the cool reports CoachO, pre season is really for the coaches, not the fans. Just the way it is
train

jap

Legend
quebecramfan said:
I don't understand all this Pead hate either... I know the guy was a second round pick and all but some players take longer to mature than others. I for one am not worried keeping him on the team as the number 2 behind drich... He'll get another season to learn the ropes and we can scheme around his strenghts.

The guy sure seemed to have improved his pass protection play (and in my book that's a major part in running back play.... specially 3rd down backs)

He's got another 2 weeks to adjust his return game... He looks like a guy who wants to make too much out of nothing because he knows he has alot to prove.... and that always leads to mistakes. I think the best approach for the coaching staff is to be patient with him and I think they will be rewarded... Let him have his touches and good things will come.

Agreed! Isaiah is playing with too much emotion and not enough rationale right now. I rather see him become accustom to using his blockers efficiently. The rest will come much more easily afterwards.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Excellent. All those cream pie incidents were only ramping DOWN the intensity.

Back to controlled (and uncontrolled) violence. :hehe:

Sent via Tapatalk2.

iced

jap said:
quebecramfan said:

Agreed! Isaiah is playing with too much emotion and not enough rationale right now. I rather see him become accustom to using his blockers efficiently. The rest will come much more easily afterwards.

Have to have actual blockers for them to be used efficiently. I'm not sure which ST unit they've been using but needless to say I definitely don't want Austin back there until we can get some competent blocking....And I'm just looking for actual blocking - not even lobbying for it to be consistent. Gotta crawl before you can walk lol