Camp Report - 7/27/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 7/27/13

Biggest crowd ever at Rams Park. By Rams reports in excess of 2000 attended this evenings practice.
Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Matt Daniels; Jemelle Cudjo ; Barrett Jones; Braden Brown; Sammy Brown TE Phillip Lutzenkirchen made his training camp debut (more on him later)

Barrett Jones and Matt Daniels did conditioning work with Reggie on side field. They both look close to returning. Lance Kendricks and Sammy Brown were there but did not participate.

Offensive Line:
1st Unit: Long C. Williams Wells Dahl Saffold
2nd Unit: Barksdale S. Smith Barnes Washington Nsekhe
Chris Williams back with 1st unit.

Players rotating on a daily basis.
Today: 2nd unit QB was Kellen Clemens Austin Davis Back to taking 3rd unit reps

1 on 1 passing drills
TEs & RBs against LBs and Safeties

WRs and Jerod Cook against CBs (McDonald vs. Cook)

• Interesting that they have Cook working on the end of the field with the WRs, and the only Safety is McDonald. All other defenders are CBs.
Matchups:
• Givens/Jenkins -- Jenkins continues to get the best of Givens
• Pettis/Finnegan -- I would call this matchup a draw,,, Pettis makes some tough catches with Finnegan draped all over him.
• Austin/T. Johnson -- Austin had his moments, but Johnson actually held his own against the smaller WR
• Quick/McGee -- Quick had his best practice, starting with this drill
• Bailey/Pointer
• Cook/McDonald -- Cook had his way with McDonald today… payback for yesterday?

• Of the TEs & RBs I have been impressed with how athletic Harkey is. He made some very nice catches in traffic (RedZone) He has very good hands for a guy who is supposed to be a “blocking TE.

• Pead continues to show he has the best hands among the RBs

7 on 7 & 11 on 11
• Worked on 2 minutes offense in both drills

• Each unit took their turn starting at the 30 with 1:30 and 2 timeouts

• In 7 on 7. None of the offenses scored on first series. Bradford to Pettis on long TD down the sideline scores for 1st unit.

11 on 11
• mixed up formations again, including 3 TE set. Harkey and McNiell in-line with Cook lined up as a wing back.

• They did this will ALL 3 units, so it wasn’t by accident

• Would say they ran the ball more in 11 on 11 sessions today than the previous 2 practices. Ganaway shined.

• They took more deep shots today, with mixed results. Darian Stewart had a good practice with at least 3 deep pass break ups.

• Clemens just doesn’t know where to throw the football. He would qualify as today’s “leading rusher” with all of his bail out scrambles (including during the 7 on 7)

Highlight play of the day.
During the 2 minute drill with the 1st unit, Brian Quick turned Janoris Jenkins inside out with a double move and got 10 yards behind him. Bradford hit him in stride for a 70 yard TD catch and run.

Player observations:
Andrew Helmick (local kid out of Lindenwood Univ) continued his good work. Today he garnered some 2nd unit reps. Working from the slot, he made a couple nice catches. He is quickly becoming a fan favorite. People are calling his number, whenever he lines up.

Today was Quick’s best practice by far. He ran his routes with a purpose, and seemed more “into” the offense.

As mentioned, more of an effort to run the ball today. With mixed reviews. But Terrance Ganaway had the most productive day carrying the ball.

TE Phillip Lutzenkirchen had a nice first practice. He seems to have good hands, and made a few very nice catches. Not as big as his listed measurements, but appears to be athletic.

Q. Pointer had a real nice practice, intercepting 2 passes. It’s fun to see how the defense reacts when someone steps up and makes a big play. Not necessarily the guys ON the field, but especially the starters. On Pointers interception during the 11 on 11 drills towards the end of practice, it was around the 30 yard line. Chris Long ran 50 yards to congratulate him. Among others.

On one toss sweep to Richardson, Eugene Sims beat his block, and made what would have been a tackle for loss. It was right in front of the rest of the D-line and they all started hooting and hollering, and ran on the field to slap Sims on the back.

I mention this because it seems like this team is really enjoying what is taking place, and they are more supportive on one another than any other time I have seen.

On the not so positive side: Both Clemens and A. Davis still seem to have problems getting thru their progressions. They both are bailing out on plays because they just can’t seem to find where to go with the football.

Both also are struggling with accuracy. Most likely from not having the confidence and being hesitant to throw the ball.

Isaiah Pead seemed to tweak his lower back towards the end of the 11 on 11 session. Was tended to by Reggie (Head Trainer)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I mention this because it seems like this team is really enjoying what is taking place, and they are more supportive on one another than any other time I have seen.
I'm sensing that as well. Everything's a lot more loose, and it seems like there's a lot more confidence.

Thanks again, Coach. Great stuff.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Nice work as always.

Glad to see Quick getting some pub.

catcheryea

UDFA
Glad to see my boy Lutz back on the field. He can definitely play, but he's still a long, long shot to make the team. Especially if Harkey keeps having days like everyone said he had today. Speaking of Auburn kids, have you seen Emory Blake at all?

I'm a little surprised they didn't have Tavon go against Cortland in 1 on 1s since he is one of the best slot corners in the league.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
I'm sensing that as well. Everything's a lot more loose, and it seems like there's a lot more confidence.

Thanks again, Coach. Great stuff.

I love hearing that, they'll learn better and be a better team for it. This team is really coming together nicely, hopefully there aren't any major setbacks.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
CoachO said:
Camp Report 7/27/13
But Terrance Ganaway had the most productive day carrying the ball.

Q. Pointer had a real nice practice, intercepting 2 passes.

Ganaway is my favorite to get the starting RB job.

And I LOVE Pointer, he played great last preseason, and thats why we kept him around.

Simba

Rookie
What a beautiful job!
Thanks CoachO!
I have good feeling with Helmick!

nighttrain

Legend
Thanks again CoachO
particularly was happy with this

Highlight play of the day.
During the 2 minute drill with the 1st unit, Brian Quick turned Janoris Jenkins inside out with a double move and got 10 yards behind him. Bradford hit him in stride for a 70 yard TD catch and run

and this
Pead continues to show he has the best hands among the RBs
There was a reason Fisher/Snead took these guys in the 2nd round. It will show this season

train

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
These camp reports are greatly appreciated.

Really brings the team to life for 2013.

Funny that as Fisher said, someone is always making a play either on offense or defense, so we read that one player looks good and another one looks bad. That's not exactly the truth especially without pads. Pads will change it a lot. How much better will Jake Long perform when he can physically maul Quinn in pads? My guess is a lot.

I watched that video of TAustin catching a pass over the middle and see Ogletree give him a little pat on the poo-poo, and I'm thinking just wait until the hitting starts.