Cam Akers breakaway speed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
So how did Cam Akers get caught from behind in what might have been a house call on Sunday vs Washington?

Does he just lack breakaway speed?

I investigated the matter and provide my exclusive coverage right here, right now at Ramsondemand!!!

1603017560521.png

Turns out the big DE that caught Akers was 6 foot 6 - 260 pound Montez Sweat. Yep a DE. But how is that possible he caught Akers?

Well, Montez Sweat ran a 4.41 at the combine. He broke the record for the fastest DE to ever run at the combine.

Sweat's 4.41 is a faster 40 then Odell Beckham (4.43) Calvin Ridley (4.43) and Amari Copper (4.42).

And what was Akers 40 time? 4.47

So, next time Akers breaks into the open field you might see a house call. But on Sunday he just happened to have his first NFL house call negated by a really fast DE, the fastest DE to ever run a 40 at the NFL combine.

Peace!

Last edited:

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quite bizarre watching that at the time when he caught him up, but that explains things somewhat so thanks Tex.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So how did Cam Akers get caught from behind in what might have been a house call on Sunday vs Washington?

I investigated the matter and provide my exclusive coverage right here, right now at Ramsondemand!!!

View attachment 40074

Turns out the big DE that caught Akers was 6 foot 6 - 260 pound Montez Sweat. Yep a DE. But how is that possible he caught Akers?

Well, Montez Sweat ran a 4.41 at the combine. He broke the record for the fastest DE to ever run at the combine.

Sweat's 4.41 is a faster 40 then Odell Beckham (4.43) Calvin Ridley (4.43) and Amari Copper (4.42).

So, next time Akers breaks into the open field you might see a house call. But on Sunday he just happened to have his first NFL house call negated by a really fast DE, the fastest DE to ever run a 40 at the NFL combine.

Peace!

4.47 isn’t really breakaway speed and unless he can avoid tackles lots of DBs will be able to catch him. I hope Akers can make a few long TD runs for the Rams but circumstances have to be right.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Cam looked slow bc our eyeballs are used to watching Hendo. :))
Akers is fast just not holy shit fast, he also had to change directions to weave through the defense before breaking into the clear. Also Gurley in his prime had world class speed and rarely got run down from behind. Gonna take getting used to.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Cam looked slow bc our eyeballs are used to watching Hendo. :))
Hendo ran a 4.49 actually. Akers will be plenty fast and I don't think he realized Sweat was in hot pursuit (CWUTIDIDTHAR?) until it was too late. 40 time is one thing, but top speed is tough to measure until you track it in a actual game.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Akers was coming off two jukes, all while Sweat was running in a straight line. If he didn’t have to cut through all that, Sweat doesn’t catch him. That’s just my guess

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
This is repeating what Flint said, but I watched that a couple of times and Akers has to break speed to change directions several times.

If you have ever played before and with pads, you know that even the slightest shift reduces way too much speed.......unless you're Barry Sanders or a certain number 28. :)

drsnook

UDFA
Name
drsnook
Spoiled by ED. Don't think he was ever run down from behind. Give him a crease to daylight, dude was gone.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Even S-Jax got run down, and he ran a 4.45. Akers will have some long runs that end up as six.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Nice post.
This was something that was a head scratcher when I saw it.
I just chalked it up to not being 100% healthy.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Wasn't too concerned with Akers getting caught.
Gurley had that speed which was incredible to witness.
You could literally see him change gears and he was gone.
Therefore, I think we still have him fresh in our minds.

Hendo has come along well and looks like a tough kid.
Hendo sometimes reminds me of Jackson's powerful runs.
If Hendo turns out to be even half as good as SJ39 then we will have a good running back.

I'm just happy how they are playing.
Between the three of them we now are a real threat again on the ground.

jap

Legend
Spoiled by ED. Don't think he was ever run down from behind. Give him a crease to daylight, dude was gone.

ED was run down by Washington CB Darrell Green, but then NFL's multiple fastest man Green ran down everybody.

jap

Legend

View attachment 40074

Peace!

We had a DE who ran in the 4.4x range - Leonard Little. I remember seeing him chase down a fast RB from behind. It was bizarre seeing such a large mass of humanity moving at that speed!

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Generally a taller guy is going to have a better top end speed than a short RB

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It happened, and I was watching it live and in person at RFK..... Took the fastest man in the league to do it though.

View: https://youtu.be/3Eg3RHKKbQU

ED was run down by Washington CB Darrell Green, but then NFL's multiple fastest man Green ran down everybody.
The fact that you two remember the one time this happened might make @drsnook 's post even that much more valid. Technically wrong maybe but seriously.... ED was unreal to watch hit his stride. Buh bye!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Neither Akers or Henderson are going to run away from everyone but both have enough juice to get some big runs to the house.
Yes, we are spoiled by Gurley in his prime, memories of ED and Faulk...

For guys like ED and Gurley, their ability to out sprint the field to the house was essentially what made them special. We're comparing brand new 2nd and 3rd round picks to some of the best sprinting RBs of all time.
They might not be able to outrun everyone on the field, but Akers and Henderson have other gifts that make them special in their own right. They each have great contact balance and low center gravity, both can operate in more crowded space and pick up whats available in front of them.

We might miss those breakaway runs, but I think overall, McVay wants backs that can produce positive yards without big lanes and ideal blocking.

A hypothetical offense gets 20 plays, 10 passes, 10 runs.
Player A has 10 carries, 8 go for 0 yards and 2 go for 50, he finishes with 100 yards and an amazing 10 ypc.
Player B has 10 carries and every one goes for 5, he finishes with 50 yards and a respectable 5 ypc.

Player A averages twice the YPC and gets 2 highlights on sportscenter, but Player B put his QB in much better down and distance situations and makes the play callers job much easier. I think McVay might prefer player B and his steady plus yards over player A's big stats and impressive highlights.