Calvin Johnson reveals why he retired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp.../11/megatron-playing-lions-anymore/103609210/

Megatron: Playing for Lions ‘wasn’t for me anymore’
The Detroit News

Former Lions receiver Calvin Johnson has hinted before that the team’s inability to contend for a Super Bowl played a role in his retirement following the 2015 season, along with injuries.

Last week, he took it a step further.

Johnson, in Italy last week for the Italian Bowl XXXVII, met with members of the Italian media, where he was asked about playing for the Lions, and the decision to retire.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU6y9Un3_ks

Johnson, again, hinted that one had something to do with the other.

“I mean, I thought about it,” Johnson said, when asked if he thought about changing teams. “Just like in basketball, you know, guys, they create these superteams. But it’s not quite like that in football where I had the freedom just to go.

“I was stuck in my contract with Detroit, and they told me, they would not release my contract, so I would have to come back to them. I didn’t see the chance for them to win a Super Bowl at the time, and for the work I was putting in, it wasn’t worth my time to keep on beating my head against the wall … and not going anywhere.

“It’s the definition of insanity,” Johnson said with a chuckle.

When asked by the interpreter if that was why he retired, Johnson said, “Yep, and the body.”

“That’s everybody’s goal, when they come to the league, is to win a Super Bowl,” said Johnson, who delivered the game ball for the showdown between the Milano Rhinos and the Milano Seamen. “That’s the ultimate goal. … I wanted to win it, and like I said, I just didn’t see that opportunity (with the Lions).”

It appears to be the second time in three months Johnson has expressed some level of frustration publicly with the Lions. In May, he told the Detroit Free Press he didn't feel like he was treated fairly by the organization over bonus money after he decided to retire.

Johnson spent nine seasons in the NFL — all with the Lions — before retiring after the 2015 season with 11,619 career yards and 83 touchdowns. A six-time Pro Bowler, Johnson holds the single-season record for receiving yards (1,964), set in 2012.

Johnson said he has no plans to return to the NFL, as the game took “ too much of a toll on my body as I played.” He was asked about running back Marshawn Lynch, who retired from the Seahawks for one season before coming back with the Oakland Raiders.

Johnson, who was a “special guest” with the Raiders for OTAs in May, said Lynch was in “a great situation.”

“If I was to keep playing,” Johnson continued, “I’d have to play in Detroit, and it just wasn’t for me anymore.”

Johnson also talked about the transformation of Detroit since arriving as a rookie out of Georgia Tech in 2007.

“I was homesick, no doubt about it,” he said. “I’ve never been homesick before. I was there by myself, and my first impression of Detroit was very bad. You drive around the town, and you see a lot of boarded-up buildings. But since, a lot of money has been put into Detroit to revive it so … I still live there now, I’m about to move back home (to Georgia), but it’s still home. It’ll be home for me.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lovsky-sides-with-megatron-in-latest-dust-up/

Dan Orlovsky, a backup quarterback who spent four seasons as Johnson’s teammate in two different stints with the Lions, wrote on Twitter today that Johnson always gave the Lions everything he had, even when they were 0-16.

“He is as classy, hard working and stand up as anyone that passed through our league ever,” Orlovsky wrote. “He was a part of some historically tough times. That would weigh and wear on anyone. Even Megatron.”

“Sports are fun when you win. Period. When your greatness is covered by your teams’ lack of it, it effects you immensely,” Orlovsky wrote. “He was once on a lifetime player. He should’ve been treated that way outside of $. If he feels he wasn’t, he’s probably right. . . . He should’ve been revered from top down.”

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I remember that Monday night game when he broke the record for most receiving yards, and Jon Gruden kept going on how it was all during catch-up time.

Sucks, when you know you are a beast and your team frustrates you.

Oh shieeeee that reminds me of Aaron Donald.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
“If I was to keep playing,” Johnson continued, “I’d have to play in Detroit, and it just wasn’t for me anymore.”

Johnson also talked about the transformation of Detroit since arriving as a rookie out of Georgia Tech in 2007.

“I was homesick, no doubt about it,” he said. “I’ve never been homesick before. I was there by myself, and my first impression of Detroit was very bad. You drive around the town, and you see a lot of boarded-up buildings. But since, a lot of money has been put into Detroit to revive it so … I still live there now, I’m about to move back home (to Georgia), but it’s still home.
I read somewhere about Detroit...and Chicago(read there were 100 shootings over the 4th weekend)....a guy in LA said these were "failed" US cities....I was talking to a police officer that said the same thing. I wonder what it must be like to live in a city more dangerous than my own.
Calvin shoulda just held out, and went to the Pats or Ravens or somebody he thought could contend. I never took Johnson for a trophy chaser.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If I were a top player, top five pick material, I would dog it at the combine in hopes that I slide back a few slots to a better team. Going number 1 pays the most but if you know your good it would be better to go to a contender instead of a team like the Browns, Lions, and yes, the Rams. Any team that has not been able to contend in the last ten years would not be on my wishlist.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
TLDR: the Lions freaking suck.

Easy does it, they have been better than the Rams of late. I always have a heart for teams like the Lions, Browns & Eagles. Their fans are loyal and besides the Eagles if the Lions or Browns won a Super Bowl I would be happy for their fans. Sorry, not a fan of Philadelphia the city or some of the people either and I give them a pass on throwing snow balls at Santa Clause.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It's worth noting...

Those lions that Calvin had so much faith in,,, actually made the playoffs without his big ass the year after he retired.

Psycho_X

Legend
And Barry Sanders.

Yeah, in my youth I clung onto Barry Sanders as my favorite player and really, really tried to be a Lions fan. Luckily I fell in love with the Rams uniform and then they moved close to me and the Lions were the Lions so saved me from that... I guess the GSOT has been worth the other 20+ years of heart ache?... I think

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/10/calvin-johnson-drawing-interest-from-teams/

Calvin Johnson drawing interest from teams
Posted by Charean Williams on August 10, 2017

502601290-e1502396101994.jpg

Getty Images

Calvin Johnson has had at least a “half-dozen teams” reach out to him about coming out of retirement, according to Mike Freeman of Bleacher Report.

Johnson thus far has resisted the temptation to return, but per Freeman, the attempts by teams to convince Johnson to make a comeback are “fairly fierce.”

The nine-year veteran, though, retired as a Lion and the Lions still retain his rights. That’s why Tony Romo asked for his release when he retired. It’s also why Marshawn Lynch, who wasn’t released when he retired, had to wait until the Raiders could work out a trade with the Seahawks.

Johnson recently started his own business as a private receivers consultant. He spent time with the Dolphins this week as Miami receivers coach Shawn Jefferson served as Johnson’s position coach with the Lions. Johnson worked with the Raiders during Organized Team Activities.

Johnson made 88 receptions for 1,214 yards and nine touchdowns in 2015 in making his sixth consecutive Pro Bowl.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I were a top player, top five pick material, I would dog it at the combine in hopes that I slide back a few slots to a better team. Going number 1 pays the most but if you know your good it would be better to go to a contender instead of a team like the Browns, Lions, and yes, the Rams. Any team that has not been able to contend in the last ten years would not be on my wishlist.

Yeah, but I heard Tre Mason say he was a HOFer.....His and other's judgement of themselves might be a bit off and could err in trying to finesse where they are selected in the Draft....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And Barry Sanders.

The Lions made the playoffs several times when Sanders played there and I thought his retirement was strange because he made it sound like the Lions were never any good and that just wasn't the case.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's clear he's still pissed at how the Lions treated him on the way out. What a dumb move by the Lions.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I never took Johnson for a trophy chaser.
I don't know if I would call him a Trophy Chaser. Deacon Jones told me Back in 1968 the only reason he was still playing was because he wanted to go to the Super Bowl, to play in the Big one! Maybe that's it with Johnson, he just want to play in the Big Game!