C.J. Mosely - Surprise, Surprise, Surprise

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
While I personally prefer Robinson or Watkins at the top, the unusual depth through the first three rounds of this particular draft suggests to me the possibility of multiple trades to stockpile picks and upgrade several positions on this young (and according to Fisher, getting younger) roster. While some target popular "can't miss" types, this administration is committed to a vision of a complete roster with long term benefits.

To that end, I'm fearlessly predicting something controversial. While many assume linebacker is a low priority, the Rams clearly disagree. Of the positions Snead has scouted, one of the most heavily studied is linebacker. Why? I believe it's because it is a critical position with a glaring lack of depth. If either JL or AO go down, this defense could go from top 10 to bottom 10 immediately. (Disclaimer, the same can be said of QB, OL, Cb, and S in terms of impact potential). Furthermore, while I realize last year Laurinaitis was extended with a hefty contract, he's not above being supplanted in time by a superior talent down the road. In the meantime, the same reason I want Robinson to play guard for a year or two and eventually replace Long, I can envision a similar flexibility with Mosely. Like Ogletree, he is capable of playing at a high level at both the SAM and WIL positions. Having three studs helping to shut down the run and play action on the first two downs would allow Williams to unleash the terror that is third and long with our rush. Having three linebackers who are above average in coverage would allow less need for guessing and substitution as well. And for those who ascribe to PFF rankings (I sit squarely on the fence), both Dunbar and JL are below average performers.

Finally, I personally believe C.J. is a future All Pro. He has the "gym rat" mentality that studies well and can lead a defense both mentally and physically. While he doesn't have the Singletary/Lewis/Butkus kind of vocal fire, I think he's the kind of cerebral leader that would reduce big play errors that can kill a defense. He is an impact player that is capable athletically to play on all three levels of the defense and can give Williams more options to execute the "mad scientist" role Fisher recently mandated.

For these reasons, I believe Mosely will be a hot topic in the Ram War Room when they trade down in the 2014 draft.

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I tend to agree with you. I think Mack is not going to be there at the 13th pick and not sure the Rams want to trade up for a LB so I see Mosely as a possible target with a 2nd round pick. Of course, I'm not sure he's available with our 2nd round pick but could very well be there at the top of the 2nd round. So in a trade down scenario where the Rams get a high 2nd round pick(s), I think Mosely could be squarely in the cross hairs. But I'm sure that draft pick will cause much debate in the war room concerning an OT/OG as well especially if an OT isn't taken in the 1st.

Disclaimer: Of course, I've been staunchly advocating drafting an OLB for three years and we finally got one last year in Ogletree but we need another.

nighttrain

Legend
While I personally prefer Robinson or Watkins at the top, the unusual depth through the first three rounds of this particular draft suggests to me the possibility of multiple trades to stockpile picks and upgrade several positions on this young (and according to Fisher, getting younger) roster. While some target popular "can't miss" types, this administration is committed to a vision of a complete roster with long term benefits.

To that end, I'm fearlessly predicting something controversial. While many assume linebacker is a low priority, the Rams clearly disagree. Of the positions Snead has scouted, one of the most heavily studied is linebacker. Why? I believe it's because it is a critical position with a glaring lack of depth. If either JL or AO go down, this defense could go from top 10 to bottom 10 immediately. (Disclaimer, the same can be said of QB, OL, Cb, and S in terms of impact potential). Furthermore, while I realize last year Laurinaitis was extended with a hefty contract, he's not above being supplanted in time by a superior talent down the road. In the meantime, the same reason I want Robinson to play guard for a year or two and eventually replace Long, I can envision a similar flexibility with Mosely. Like Ogletree, he is capable of playing at a high level at both the SAM and WIL positions. Having three studs helping to shut down the run and play action on the first two downs would allow Williams to unleash the terror that is third and long with our rush. Having three linebackers who are above average in coverage would allow less need for guessing and substitution as well. And for those who ascribe to PFF rankings (I sit squarely on the fence), both Dunbar and JL are below average performers.

Finally, I personally believe C.J. is a future All Pro. He has the "gym rat" mentality that studies well and can lead a defense both mentally and physically. While he doesn't have the Singletary/Lewis/Butkus kind of vocal fire, I think he's the kind of cerebral leader that would reduce big play errors that can kill a defense. He is an impact player that is capable athletically to play on all three levels of the defense and can give Williams more options to execute the "mad scientist" role Fisher recently mandated.

For these reasons, I believe Mosely will be a hot topic in the Ram War Room when they trade down in the 2014 draft.
Looking & thinking trade down from "#2. Deep draft everybody says an more picks the better
train

Alan

Legend
I'll pass. Maybe next year. You're not alone in thinking we might draft him though. Boylhart is another guy who thinks like you.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There are many options and I would not rule out Mosley. The Rams would be sunk if Laurinitis gets injured. They need another intelligent football mind on the field and from all accounts Mosely is capable.

Draft for the future.

I also wouldn't rule out Hageman, Gilbert, Evans, Mack, Robinson, Matthews, Yankey, or Watkins. The Rams have many options.

I'd add that a few things could be considered with their pick. A dynamic playmaker like Mack could trump all. Fisher and Snead seem to be trying to make the team faster, so Speed and athleticism may be key. I think Gilbert fits the mold of the type of player they like too. Another factor could be spreading out the money in the future. You can't have it all on one unit. They will eventually have a lot of cap eaten up on the Dline. So maybe DT is less likely. Laurinitis could be released by the end of his deal, so LBer could be a good choice since he would be under the rookie contract for that duration and the guy could move inside eventually.

Last edited:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I think Mosley is in play also. He would make the front 7 top notch. I would prefer drafting Mosley over HaHa or Pryor. I think he's a better player than either of them, and I want the better player. If they go defense at #13, I hope it's either a CB or Mosley.

Dunbar was subpar last year. He played well in 2012 when he was all juiced up, but even then he was a liability against the pass. We can get away with him starting this year, but he's pedestrian at best.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I guess I didn't state my preference. I agree Max. I think Mosely would be a great choice for all of the reasons you state. My second choice would be Justin Gilbert.

Alan

Legend
max getting it half right:
Dunbar was subpar last year. He played well in 2012 when he was all juiced up, but even then he was a liability against the pass. We can get away with him starting this year, but he's pedestrian at best.
I agree with that part max. I expect us to draft an OLB (not an ILB) at some point in the draft. Not in the 1st round hopefully. We need all the help we can get against the short passing game.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I agree with that part max. I expect us to draft an OLB (not an ILB) at some point in the draft. Not in the 1st round hopefully. We need all the help we can get against the short passing game.

Keep in mind. Ogletree was listed as a MLB. He played on the inside at Georgia. Many of the best OLB in college are best suited for a 3-4 in the pros because they usually are predominantly pass rushers not coverage guys. They mostly play with their hand in the dirt.

Remember when the Rams were targeting Bobby Wagner in 2012? He was an inside LB. Where were the Rams gonna play him? At OLB in a 4-3.

Alan

Legend
max with some good thoughts:
Keep in mind. Ogletree was listed as a MLB. He played on the inside at Georgia. Many of the best OLB in college are best suited for a 3-4 in the pros because they usually are predominantly pass rushers not coverage guys. They mostly play with their hand in the dirt.

Remember when the Rams were targeting Bobby Wagner in 2012? He was an inside LB. Where were the Rams gonna play him? At OLB in a 4-3.
Good points max but when we were targeting Wagner we didn't have Tree. I just don't see a huge advantage for the Rams with him on the field only on 1st ans and 2nd downs. We need someone who can excel in pass D and be very solid against the run. I don't see that in any of the top three LBs. They're all great players but I wouldn't want to use a first on them when we can get the FS or CB we desperately need.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
They scouted him on one occasion. Here's one of the tweets:

Aaron Suttles‏@AaronSuttles
Scouts from the St. Louis Rams and Chicago Bears intently watched C.J. Mosley tonight. NFL teams love his instincts and athleticism.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I guess I didn't state my preference. I agree Max. I think Mosely would be a great choice for all of the reasons you state. My second choice would be Justin Gilbert.

I'll be shocked if Gilbert is still on the board at #13. I think he's gone by Detroit and if not, the Giants will take him at #12.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Pass I cannot see them spending a 1st round pick on a guy who is a back up