Bye week gives Rams a little breathing room/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Bye week gives Rams a little breathing room
• By Joe Lyons •

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5ef22e68-99d7-5e30-9bae-e9726a1996c4.html

The Rams join the Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos, Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns as the first teams in the NFL to take their 2014 bye this week.

But at Rams Park, it’s business as usual — at least for a couple of days.

The Rams practiced Wednesday and will work out again Thursday before taking a long weekend, returning on Tuesday to begin preparations for their return to action Sunday, Oct. 5 against the Eagles in Philadelphia.

“It’s an unusual week,” coach Jeff Fisher said following Wednesday’s practice. “We got everything corrected yesterday. Came on the field, worked some things out. They were a little fussy yesterday, as you can imagine, but they’re back (and) we had a really good session today.’’

Wednesday’s practice included some preparation work for the Eagles as well as a return to football fundamentals for the Rams, who are off to a 1-2 start.

“We’re working on a lot of individual stuff,” quarterback Austin Davis said. “Whether it’s footwork or progression reads, those things tend to get lost as you go through a long season, so this is a good time for us to get back to some of the basics.”

Guard Davin Joseph, in his ninth NFL season, agreed but said that having the early bye takes some getting used to.

“You feel like you’re just starting to get into a rhythm, but we can definitely use the time,” he said. “We have a few guys banged up. We need to use this time to improve, to get back to basics and try to get a deeper understanding of the offense.”

The Rams are hopeful that the week off will allow wide receiver Tavon Austin (knee) and quarterback Shaun Hill (thigh) to get healthy enough to practice fully next week. In addition, center Barrett Jones (back) and cornerback Trumaine Johnson (knee) continue to work their way back after getting hurt in the preseason.

Fisher also will use the bye week to get some added practice time for the younger players on the roster.

“You kind of handle everybody a little differently this week,” the coach said. “What typically happens is you get going (and) the backups don’t get the reps (they need). So this bye week is a good time for them to get some reps.

“This week, basically, is about the guys that need the rehab work get the rehab, guys that need to recover get the recovery time and the guys that need the reps, the technique work, (they) get that.”

Fisher said that the bye in Week 4 takes some adjustment.

“Coaches never complain about their bye weeks when they come,” he said. “It is a little unusual, probably the earliest I can remember having one. But you just try to make the most of it. We’re looking at some things we need to do better, but once we finish up here tomorrow, it’s about getting away from football. Go back to your alma mater, watch the game, do something, but get away because we got a lot when you come back. It’s about recharging, and getting refreshed and coming back ready to work.”

Following the bye, the Rams will face a murderers’ row stretch of the schedule that includes games at Philadelphia (3-0) on Oct. 5, at home against division rival San Francisco (1-2) on Oct. 13 (Monday), at home against the defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks (2-1) on Oct. 19, at the Kansas City Chiefs (1-2) on Oct. 26, at San Francisco on Nov. 2, at the Arizona Cardinals (3-0) on Nov. 9, at home against the defending Super Bowl runner-up Denver Broncos (2-1) on Nov. 16 and at the San Diego Chargers (2-1) on Nov. 23.

“This league is tough enough when you go week to week. You can’t afford to get to look ahead,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “Looking at a schedule, you never know how things are going to play out. In my career, I’ve made it a habit to never look at a team in the NFL and think of that game as a gimme. In this league, if you make enough mistakes, anyone can win.”

In his sixth NFL season, Laurinaitis has tried to help prepare his young teammates for the upcoming grind.

“What I tell the young guys is to get into a routine and stick with it,” he said. “It’s easy now because it’s only a few weeks, but late in the season, when it’s dark and cold, you’re not going to want to go into the cold tub — all you want to do is get something to eat and get home and sleep — but no matter how tired you are, how cold you are, you have to stick with the routine of the cold tub and the stretching because those are the things that will help get you through the long season.

“Quite frankly, I think that’s how you avoid hitting the (rookie) wall; you stick with your routine.”

And the key during a bye week is to take advantage of the time off.

“It’s a little strange, having it come so early, but you learn to appreciate the break,” Joseph said. “For me, it’s a chance to go home (to Tampa Bay), to see my kids and get in a little fishing.

“The bye gives you a chance to catch your breath, reflect on the season so far and to hopefully come back here focused and locked in because we know that we have some really important games ahead of us.”