BWB: Rams Lack Discipline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

On this episode of Breakfast With Bernie, the Post-Dispatch's Bernie Miklasz discusses the bad judgement and stupid penalties that seem to sting the Rams each week. Is Jeff Fisher to blame?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
:wow:

Bernie rips Fisher pretty good for lack of discipline... Hard to argue.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I don't see the connection between character concerns and lack of discipline on the field.

I get the connection you are trying to make, a little, but we've seen a lot more tolerance on the field than off.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The meme when Spagnuolo was coach was ... "Players are a reflection of their head coach." This was used as support for the argument that the Rams' players were somehow "soft" or "choir boys" under the Spagvaney regime. Drafting high character guys in lieu of nastier, more questionable-character-type guys was viewed as the fatal flaw of their strategy. Now I'm seeing similar arguments in the inverse. Now the head coach/GM are victims of their own (polar opposite) draft strategy. The players are now viewed undisciplined and have faux nasty streaks. Well ... the fuck did you expect if you subscribed to the above theory?

Personally, I don't give a shit what the guy's character is at this point; provided he's not a detriment to the team. The guys Fisher/Snead draft are, IMO, athletically gifted players who are raw and/or in need of structure in their lives. This current HC/GM rested on their laurels in that they felt/feel that their premiere coaching staff would be able to mold these individuals into disciplined and model NFL players. Is a year enough time to do that? Two? Right now we're about a year and a half into their 5 year plan, so I think the jury is still out on that. Sometimes I think they're making strides, and then I'm quickly reminded about how young and green this team really is.

I'm pretty sick of the 5 year plans around here (as I'm sure most are), but I'm compelled to wait until at least the end of year 3 to determine if this - the newest strategy of the Organization - is going to be the one that puts us back on top for a sustained period of time. That's their plan, anyway. Will it work? Only if their mission statement is truly doable.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty much. If they had an offense capable of scoring (virtually) at will, then the defensive penalties wouldn't be as damaging. It's actually good to set that tone early on, defensively. Problem is, these young dudes in the secondary don't have enough juice in the league to pull it off yet.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Wow...I can't imagine this little bit is going to make him wildly popular in the Rams locker room. Maybe that's why he's unable to provide any real "news" he's distanced himself too far from the team to gain any inside info. Also, each time I see one of these bits it pisses me off that while being paid by a STL newspaper to report on STL sports he shows up with his little Colts helmet on his bookshelf! Wonder he supported when we played the Colts?

All of this makes it hard for me to place any value in anything he says about our Rams.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
A 3 minute rant more like 2:30 with all the Papa John's plugs doesn't hold much water with me.

I don't see why his opinion matters more than anyone else's.

fearsomefour

Legend
The meme when Spagnuolo was coach was ... "Players are a reflection of their head coach." This was used as support for the argument that the Rams' players were somehow "soft" or "choir boys" under the Spagvaney regime. Drafting high character guys in lieu of nastier, more questionable-character-type guys was viewed as the fatal flaw of their strategy. Now I'm seeing similar arguments in the inverse. Now the head coach/GM are victims of their own (polar opposite) draft strategy. The players are now viewed undisciplined and have faux nasty streaks. Well ... the Freak did you expect if you subscribed to the above theory?

Personally, I don't give a shyte what the guy's character is at this point; provided he's not a detriment to the team. The guys Fisher/Snead draft are, IMO, athletically gifted players who are raw and/or in need of structure in their lives. This current HC/GM rested on their laurels in that they felt/feel that their premiere coaching staff would be able to mold these individuals into disciplined and model NFL players. Is a year enough time to do that? Two? Right now we're about a year and a half into their 5 year plan, so I think the jury is still out on that. Sometimes I think they're making strides, and then I'm quickly reminded about how young and green this team really is.

I'm pretty sick of the 5 year plans around here (as I'm sure most are), but I'm compelled to wait until at least the end of year 3 to determine if this - the newest strategy of the Organization - is going to be the one that puts us back on top for a sustained period of time. That's their plan, anyway. Will it work? Only if their mission statement is truly doable.
As for how undisciplined play/coaching can impact a season look no further than Detroit. A cocky immature approach lost two games for them (Pitts/TB). They should be thinking about seeding for the playoffs not hoping to hold onto the division in a year where circumstances all but conspired to hand them the division crown. Character issues, in my experience betray two things commonly in young men (just my experience); negativity and laziness. It is so easy for a guy to fall back to negative excuse making behavior once things get a little pear shaped. Im not saying the team as a whole has done this but I think it is showing up some in lack of discipline….Im thinking of you Janoris, for example.
As for a five year plan I would much rather have that….an actual investment in a coaches ideology and vision….than the 2 year coaching carousels the Rams had going for a bit. The one thing that almost ensures failure in the NFL is continual turnover in the front office or of HCs. I would much rather follow the progression the organization is on now for the duration than slip back into the 2 years and done approach of several years ago. We all get frustrated with what we perceive as slow progress. This is Fishers second year with major turnover in personel happening. Before the season I thought the Rams would win 6 or 7 games. It takes time when you are starting almost from scratch. Stay the course gentlemen. Next year will go along in deteriming the long term success of Fisher/Snead.

fearsomefour

Legend
Wow...I can't imagine this little bit is going to make him wildly popular in the Rams locker room. Maybe that's why he's unable to provide any real "news" he's distanced himself too far from the team to gain any inside info. Also, each time I see one of these bits it pisses me off that while being paid by a STL newspaper to report on STL sports he shows up with his little Colts helmet on his bookshelf! Wonder he supported when we played the Colts?

All of this makes it hard for me to place any value in anything he says about our Rams.
We all hate the softball questions lobbed Fishers way after a bad game….but, are we also slamming a guy for being critical? This is why Fisher gets lobbed softball questions. If you dont want to get time with players or coaches the best way is to ask tough questions or be critical.

OhioRam

Rookie
I like it and don't mind at all...Love Chris Long having his team mates back..JJ not backing down from the Steve Smith type players..
Anh how do we know it's only are players talking smack?

BigHornRAMM

Rookie
Name
BigHorn
A 3 minute rant more like 2:30 with all the Papa John's plugs doesn't hold much water with me.

Bingo. I honestly don't see why people love to watch the talking heads on ESPN. They offer opinions just like you and I. Some people offer better insight then others, but this guy doesn't make the cut for me

V3

Hall of Fame

That Colts helmet is for the Baltimore Colts. He's from Baltimore. It's not for the Indianapolis Colts. I don't see how it even matters, though. He's lived in St. Louis longer than Baltimore and has said he considers St. Louis his home. He is a fan of the Rams but also remembers where he came from- thus the Baltimore Colts helmet.

V3

Hall of Fame

Believe it or not, he does have a lot of sources with the Rams and the NFL. People love to quote Bernie when he insists the Rams aren't moving to LA due to information from his sources, but when Bernie starts saying anything negative about the Rams, he's a nobody. The truth, as usual, is somewhere in the middle.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Believe it or not, he does have a lot of sources with the Rams and the NFL. People love to quote Bernie when he insists the Rams aren't moving to LA due to information from his sources, but when Bernie starts saying anything negative about the Rams, he's a nobody. The truth, as usual, is somewhere in the middle.

I put more weight into Shane's opinion regarding LA but I digress.

Whenever Bernie tries to offer something critical, it always some rhetorical question i.e. "is it ever going to change?!" He also lumps in all penalties which are legit w/ those that are borderline or straight up bogus. Also, I would like for him to be more consistent in his criticism. Where was all this after Indy/Chicago? It all just seems like a paid "vent thread" post.

RE the "trash talking, egos, et al" stuff...you know what, Spags was BLASTED, ABSOLUTELY BLASTED, ever since he uttered the two words "four pillars." Clamoring for a coaching change and you got what you wanted. And no, that doesn't bother me.

V3

Hall of Fame
I put more weight into Shane's opinion regarding LA but I digress.

Whenever Bernie tries to offer something critical, it always some rhetorical question i.e. "is it ever going to change?!" He also lumps in all penalties which are legit w/ those that are borderline or straight up bogus. Also, I would like for him to be more consistent in his criticism. Where was all this after Indy/Chicago? It all just seems like a paid "vent thread" post.

RE the "trash talking, egos, et al" stuff...you know what, Spags was BLASTED, ABSOLUTELY BLASTED, ever since he uttered the two words "four pillars." Clamoring for a coaching change and you got what you wanted. And no, that doesn't bother me.

Unless I'm mistaken, Shane and Bernie are pretty much of the same opinion regarding LA; that is, neither believe the Rams are moving.