Buying a used car. Advice please

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Just shopping for Honda Odessey or Toyota Sienna 2010 - 2012 low mileage vehicle for wifey to haul little kiddos around. Haven't bought a used car in a long long time, so figure I'll get a Certified Preowned from a dealer, as it includes mfg warranty and thorough checkout.

Anyone have one of these cars? If so, is there anything I should look for, or are there any questions that I should ask before purchase?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Ask the dealer how many bushels of rice the tank takes

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Get a Mazda CX9. Those kick so much ass.

sent via Tapatalk.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:

sent via Tapatalk.

I know a lot of people who have had very good luck with Mazdas. And if you borrow it, you won't feel like you're riding a moped.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
If it's a Toyota make sure there's not a gas peddle getting stuck issue:mrgreen:

bluecoconuts

Legend
RamFan503 said:
X said:

sent via Tapatalk.

I know a lot of people who have had very good luck with Mazdas. And if you borrow it, you won't feel like you're riding a moped.

My mom has an 01 Odessey and it has more kick than you'd think.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is she down with a mini-van? I know my old man bought my mom a mini-van when myself and my siblings were younger and my mom despised that car. He never really asked her if she wanted it.

I despise mini-vans too. Have always hated them when I've driven them. :lol:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Not tryin to make this political guys , but you can buy an American car that's just as good and evn though it's a used one it improves the sales of the new ones. FWIW with the way our government bails out our auto makers ya might as well buy the cars or pay taxes to buy someone else one.

I buy Amurican, even at the grocery store I buy Amurican cheese, why give that job to a Swiss cow?

Cerially guys , I have owned Ford after Ford after Ford, and STILL the Lions suck,whatsabruthagottadew?

BS aside Stranger, give an American car a look we make them pretty good, my wifes Taurus is one nice ride ,she loves it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jrry32 said:
Is she down with a mini-van? I know my old man bought my mom a mini-van when myself and my siblings were younger and my mom despised that car. He never really asked her if she wanted it.

I despise mini-vans too. Have always hated them when I've driven them. :lol:
Good pt, Jerry. But it was she that actually picked out all the cars that she wanted to test drive, and I think all of them were mini vans except for a Mazda and some other SUV. She ended up liking the Toyota Sienna the best after the test drive, so that's what we're going with.

Thordaddy said:
Not tryin to make this political guys , but you can buy an American car that's just as good and evn though it's a used one it improves the sales of the new ones. FWIW with the way our government bails out our auto makers ya might as well buy the cars or pay taxes to buy someone else one.

I buy Amurican, even at the grocery store I buy Amurican cheese, why give that job to a Swiss cow?

Cerially guys , I have owned Ford after Ford after Ford, and STILL the Lions suck,whatsabruthagottadew?

BS aside Stranger, give an American car a look we make them pretty good, my wifes Taurus is one nice ride ,she loves it.
Thor, very good point. I just did a search and found this really good graphical app by the New York Times that shows where everything is made, and it looks like most of the Sienna and Odysseys are made and assy'd in the good ole USofA. Go figure.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/06/19/automobiles/20090619-auto-plants-4.html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009 ... .html?_r=0</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Stranger said:
Thor, very good point. I just did a search and found this really good graphical app by the New York Times that shows where everything is made, and it looks like most of the Sienna and Odysseys are made and assy'd in the good ole USofA. Go figure.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/06/19/automobiles/20090619-auto-plants-4.html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009 ... .html?_r=0</a>
I was going to post that as well. Lotta jobs would be lost if they left the Country.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Try really hard to get a new one. The risk for getting a lemon w/ used is much more and you could end up paying more than a new one. Plus you get all the bells and whistles in the new model.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Angry Ram said:
Try really hard to get a new one. The risk for getting a lemon w/ used is much more and you could end up paying more than a new one. Plus you get all the bells and whistles in the new model.
I looked at that, but it's like $20K more, virtually double the price. Although Kia is offering 0% interest if you buy a new Sedona.

That's why we're looking at Certified Preowned, as they give you a 1yr total warranty and a 7yr drivetrain warranty. I'm hoping that will cover us.

Angry Ram

Stranger said:
Angry Ram said:
I looked at that, but it's like $20K more, virtually double the price. Although Kia is offering 0% interest if you buy a new Sedona.

That's why we're looking at Certified Preowned, as they give you a 1yr total warranty and a 7yr drivetrain warranty. I'm hoping that will cover us.

If there's 2 words that I can't stand more than "Seattle seaworm" it's "certified preowned."

Do w/e it takes man to get a new one. I've seen many a wallet broken b/c of "certified preowned."

Of course, if it's beyond what you want to spend or don't plan to have it for a long time, then of course you do what's best for you. I'm just saying what I would do, go for the new every time.

Also I'm not much into the mom vans except to not get the Astro.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Angry Ram said:
Stranger said:
Angry Ram said:

If there's 2 words that I can't stand more than "Seattle seaworm" it's "certified preowned."

Do w/e it takes man to get a new one. I've seen many a wallet broken b/c of "certified preowned."

Of course, if it's beyond what you want to spend or don't plan to have it for a long time, then of course you do what's best for you. I'm just saying what I would do, go for the new every time.

Do u work in the car biz? Can u tell me more about what you've seen with "certified preowned".

I've bought used before but only from private parties and only vehicle makes/models that I already knew inside and out, so I could check them out thoroughly myself prior to purchase. But now I'm entering unchartered waters, so any further insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Angry Ram

Stranger said:
Angry Ram said:
Stranger said:
Angry Ram said:

Do u work in the car biz? Can u tell me more about what you've seen with "certified preowned".

I've bought used before but only from private parties and only vehicle makes/models that I already knew inside and out, so I could check them out thoroughly myself prior to purchase. But now I'm entering unchartered waters, so any further insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not in the car biz, just a major personal preference. Certified preowned is just business speak for used. Read/heard w/ ppl finding out their "certified preowned" cars have been underwater, replaced doors, bad parts, etc.

But if you know cars inside and out and really due your research, go for it.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Stranger said:

I was going to post that as well. Lotta jobs would be lost if they left the Country.
All true but is the gov't bailing THEM out?
AND are the majority of the components made here?I ain't sayin the need to leave, I'd just rather they slept in the basement instead of the Master Bedroom.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Stranger said:

AND are the majority of the components made here?I ain't sayin the need to leave, I'd just rather they slept in the basement instead of the Master Bedroom.
I've had American cars, and I've had non-American cars. I can honestly say that American cars aren't made like they used to be made. New American cars are basically shit. In the 60's and 70's, those cars were the best thing ever made in the history of the world. And I'm as Patriotic as anyone you'll ever meet, but I find no solace in supporting companies that needed to be bailed out because their greed BY FAR exceeded their desire to make a quality product.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Stranger said:

I've had American cars, and I've had non-American cars. I can honestly say that American cars aren't made like they used to be made. New American cars are basically shit. In the 60's and 70's, those cars were the best thing ever made in the history of the world. And I'm as Patriotic as anyone you'll ever meet, but I find no solace in supporting companies that needed to be bailed out because their greed BY FAR exceeded their desire to make a quality product.

Aw shit man are we gonna have the "greed" discussion?
I wasn't really pullin the "patriotism " card X it was more, "hey your in this boat and an American probably buys what you make card.

I've been on both sides of this "discussion" (as I have most) but I adamantly disagree with the "American cars are shit" contention, I've owned one after another excellent vehicle built by Ford motor company ( currently have my third Expedition) maybe that's why they never had to be bailed out.
I'll admit that the auto workers unions are forcing the management into bad short term decisions and we can each name other's ambition however we like,I just prefer not to use the word greed cuz it's one that gets turned back at the user way to easily.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Try this website: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.carbuyingtips.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.carbuyingtips.com/</a>

They have extensive tips on how to deal with car sellers, used and new. They also have a link to another site, <a class="postlink" href="http://www.fightingchance.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fightingchance.com/</a> where they have tracked the auto industry's sales tactics all the way back to the mid 90's. You might have heard of these already.

I used them myself last fall to purchase a 2013 Hyundai Sonata, and last June we also used it to buy my wife a 2013 Elantra GT. Let me put it this way, my wife, who has always nitpicked my consumer savvy (with good reason), was impressed with the deal we got on both cars.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I've owned two Odysseys, 1999 and 2004 and own a 2004 Sienna now that I'm fixing to sell. Both are excellent vehicles with great safety records. You can't go wrong with either. Questions?