Burwell: Rams stuck in same self-destructive rut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Burwell: Rams stuck in same self-destructive rut
• BRYAN BURWELL •

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_2dc5831b-26e7-518d-856a-b35ca531134d.html

PHILADELPHIA • If you separate the St. Louis Rams’ weekend visit to the City of Brotherly Love into neat little isolated segments and you squint just so, what happened Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field wasn’t all that bad.

You could glean another gem from young Austin Davis, who looks more and more like a legitimate NFL quarterback every Sunday. You could marvel at his poise, admire his toughness and grit, and take comfort in the fact that this kid knows exactly what it takes to put up big yardage in the air.

You could sit back and admire the

furious fourth-quarter comeback that turned a 34-7 blowout by the Philadelphia Eagles into a skin-tight 34-28 loss that came down to the game’s final seconds.

But football is not played in a vacuum, so you can’t dismiss the self-destructive mistakes that dug St. Louis into a hole too deep to get out of in the first place. You can’t ignore the Rams’ unfortunate (and maddening) weekly recurrence of needless penalties, crushing execution miscues, dropped passes and coverage breakdowns that turned this into another annoying loss that easily could have been another thrilling victory.

All around the visitors’ locker room after the game, you could hear so many players trying to dredge up the positives from this defeat, trying to concentrate on the dramatic comeback rather than the circumstances that put them there in the first place.

Yet even as they indulged in the positives, nearly every player quickly dismissed the “glass-is-half-full” rhetoric.

“We just showed that week in and week out we constantly shoot ourselves in the foot,” said Pro Bowl defensive end Robert Quinn. “And we have to eliminate those if we want to start putting W’s on the board. ... We try to look at the positives, but you keep going back to what we did wrong that cost us the game. We gave up a blocked punt, we had a busted coverage and the pass rush wasn’t there. Guys sold out until the clock said zero ... but costly penalties and stuff like that will definitely haunt you in the end.”

To a man, these Rams players are not delusional. They don’t sugarcoat what they have done to themselves and how their self-destructive habits have put at great risk this season, which is only four games old. But here they are at 1-3, stuck in the basement of the NFC West and looking into the teeth of a schedule that only gets progressively more challenging.

However, when you take a look at the NFL standings this morning, you will notice that there is no category for honesty, just the cold-blooded truth of W’s and L’s, and no matter what the Rams players and coaches think they should be and eventually might become, all we have to judge them on is the harsh reality of pro football’s most basic and unforgiving rule:

You are what your record says you are.

And for these Rams, a 1-3 record tells me they are still stuck in the same discouraging rut this franchise has been in for years.

They are getting closer to a breakthrough, but until they do, we can’t judge them on anything but 1-3. If they had found a way to get into that end zone on the game’s final drive, and the scoreboard had said “Rams 35, Eagles 34,” all would have been right with the world. We could have ignored some of these repetitious flaws and reveled in a marvelous comeback victory, because winning is the great deodorant of sports.

It’s why coach Jeff Fisher spent the first few minutes of his postgame remarks wondering how different the world could have been if not for the blocked punt for Philly’s first touchdown on the first possession of the game and the sack-fumble-touchdown for the Eagles on the Rams’ first possession of the second half.

“If we could eliminate both those drives,” said Fisher, “we certainly wouldn’t have been in the situation we were in.”

But you can’t wish away these repeated shots to the foot that have become a sad and irritating hallmark of this football team. You can’t wish away the 10 penalties (two more were declined). You can’t pretend that at least five Davis passes weren’t dropped by wide-open receivers. You can’t look the other way while serial dumb-penalty offender Ray Ray Armstrong gets caught by the refs for shoving an Eagles player in the middle of the field on special teams where the entire world could see.

Finally, we heard the first sign that Fisher’s irritation level with Armstrong and the other offenders on special teams has reached its limits. “Our special teams knows if you’re going to get another penalty after the play on special teams and (the call) is legit, then they’re going to watch the rest of the game in the locker room,” said Fisher. “I’m not going to tolerate that anymore.”

I hope his outrage extends beyond special teams, too. The season is a long way from being over. There are signs that things have the potential to get better, especially on offense. Davis (29 of 49, 375 yards, three TDs) was a handful of dropped passes away from the first 400-yard game of his brief NFL career. After a bumpy first half, he lit up the Philly defense in the second half (19 of 30, 252 yards, two TDs, 112.1 pass efficiency rating). But it was his fourth quarter (11 of 18, 142 yards, two TDs) that was absolutely eye-popping. His fourth-quarter pass efficiency rating of 122.9 reinforced the notion that the ground-and-pound days of the Rams’ offense ought to be a thing of the past.

Conspiracy theory debunking alert: Zac Stacy really is hurt. The starting tailback injured his calf on the fumble late in the third quarter and spent the rest of the game sidelined. After he gained 42 mostly unspectacular yards (3.8 yards a carry), a lot of loony conspiracy theorists in Rams Nation immediately drew a conclusion that Stacy must have been treated by the same mystery doctor who decided that Shaun Hill was hurt, too. Stop it, just stop it. But with Stacy sidelined, backup Benny Cunningham did make a noticeable difference in the running game (47 yards on seven carries for a 6.7-yard average and a 14-yard TD). It will also be fascinating to see if this changing of the guard in the backfield ultimately will lead to a similar boost in offensive production that the Davis-for-Hill swap gave to the passing attack.

The clock is ticking. People are tired of searching for that corner where prosperity is supposed to be lurking. Yes, every week you can see isolated signs of improvement. But they keep being overshadowed by the team losing. The Rams keep telling us they’re better than this, but it’s hard to hear their words over the din of their actions.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The clock is ticking. People are tired of searching for that corner where prosperity is supposed to be lurking. Yes, every week you can see isolated signs of improvement. But they keep being overshadowed by the team losing. The Rams keep telling us they’re better than this, but it’s hard to hear their words over the din of their actions.
At what point do these repeated self-destructed behaviors become evidence of an embedded problem, rather than isolated anomalies that can be corrected?

Alan

Legend
"But it was his fourth quarter (11 of 18, 142 yards, two TDs) that was absolutely eye-popping. His fourth-quarter pass efficiency rating of 122.9 reinforced the notion that the ground-and-pound days of the Rams’ offense ought to be a thing of the past."
This statement really lacks any verity IMO. How did Austin look when the Shegals weren't playing not to lose football? How'd our O-line hold up under their normal pass rush? We do not have an O-line that can support a pass first team IMO. What the hell does he think caused this: "After a bumpy first half, he lit up the Philly defense in the second half (19 of 30, 252 yards, two TDs, 112.1 pass efficiency rating).". I really hate it when supposed professionals ignore the reality of a team being ahead 34-7.

I'm not bad mouthing Davis because even when a team is playing bend don't break defense you still have to take advantage of that and he did a very, very good job for a rookie.

Not to mention the fact that we have a damn good stable of RBs that could, barring stupid mistakes, help control a game and make our passing O work.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
If the Rams become a pass first offense, Davis will be killed.

Alan

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/05/sunday-night-wrap-up-its-more-than-just-tom-brady/
"But Sunday’s 43-17 demolition of the Bengals had more to do with their offense getting back to basics than a future Hall of Fame quarterback avenging some perceived slights.

They ran the ball well. They lined up in two-tight end sets and played power football.

It wasn’t necessarily the kind of dramatic passing game statement the Brady mythologists might portray, though he hit two deep balls early when he was all fired up.
"

He's talking about the Cheatriots but he might as well be talking about us.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
"But it was his fourth quarter (11 of 18, 142 yards, two TDs) that was absolutely eye-popping. His fourth-quarter pass efficiency rating of 122.9 reinforced the notion that the ground-and-pound days of the Rams’ offense ought to be a thing of the past."
This statement really lacks any verity IMO. How did Austin look when the Shegals weren't playing not to lose football? How'd our O-line hold up under their normal pass rush? We do not have an O-line that can support a pass first team IMO. What the hell does he think caused this: "After a bumpy first half, he lit up the Philly defense in the second half (19 of 30, 252 yards, two TDs, 112.1 pass efficiency rating).". I really hate it when supposed professionals ignore the reality of a team being ahead 34-7.

I'm not bad mouthing Davis because even when a team is playing bend don't break defense you still have to take advantage of that and he did a very, very good job for a rookie.

Not to mention the fact that we have a damn good stable of RBs that could, barring stupid mistakes, help control a game and make our passing O work.
Yeah overeacting much Bryan?
We still need to run the ball effectively or as @ junkman sez Davis will get killed

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I agree but too bad that it is pretty clear that at least a couple of our linemen can't run block. Of course their pass blocking is suspect as well so...

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
What's driving me crazy and has been for the last several seasons, is that this team finds a different way to lose whenever they lose. Special teams, pick sixes, fumbles for TDs, missed kicks, bad defense, bad offense. There are games when it's very clear that we have the talent in all facets of the game, but for some reason, they're unable to put it all together consistently and something (many times multiple things) goes wrong and leads to a L.

I hate seeing a team with as much talent as we have sitting at 1-3 once again.

If I didn't think we had one of the more talented teams in the NFL, I wouldn't be so damn frustrated after every loss.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Yeah. All we have to do is start every game out by spotting the other team 27 points. Then he'll continue to have eye-popping passing stats for the rest of the season. The ground-and-pound days of the Rams can be effective if opposing teams stop getting sack/fumble/TDs and punt-block TDs. Because while we do have some nice receiving threats, this team isn't BUILT to have an all-out air battle with other teams. Pass blocking anyone?

Buehler?

Buehler?

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I don't think we should be a spread offense, but we should be a no huddle offense. When we huddle we kill the playclock and then have little to no time to audible out of the original playcall. All we can do is kill the play and run right into the d-lines arms.

I will say this, if we were a pass first offense that relied on short routes and passes to the flat I think it would help our o-line hide their deficiencies which should in turn help the running game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah. All we have to do is start every game out by spotting the other team 27 points. Then he'll continue to have eye-popping passing stats for the rest of the season. The ground-and-pound days of the Rams can be effective if opposing teams stop getting sack/fumble/TDs and punt-block TDs. Because while we do have some nice receiving threats, this team isn't BUILT to have an all-out air battle with other teams. Pass blocking anyone?

Buehler?

Buehler?
I can't wait to see the O-Line, projected at the Beginning of the Season; Long - Robinson - Wells - Saffold III - Barksdale !! What say you X?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Part of being talented is playing good football. When they make dumb mistakes over and over that ain't good football. Which in turn makes them not as talented as we think.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
What's driving me crazy and has been for the last several seasons, is that this team finds a different way to lose whenever they lose. Special teams, pick sixes, fumbles for TDs, missed kicks, bad defense, bad offense. There are games when it's very clear that we have the talent in all facets of the game, but for some reason, they're unable to put it all together consistently and something (many times multiple things) goes wrong and leads to a L.

I hate seeing a team with as much talent as we have sitting at 1-3 once again.

If I didn't think we had one of the more talented teams in the NFL, I wouldn't be so damn frustrated after every loss.
Exactly.

Part of being talented is playing good football. When they make dumb mistakes over and over that ain't good football. Which in turn makes them not as talented as we think.
Are these the signs of dumb players or insufficient coaching?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can't wait to see the O-Line, projected at the Beginning of the Season; Long - Robinson - Wells - Saffold III - Barksdale !! What say you X?
Six of one, half-dozen of another. They're all capable of being good. They just need to do so consistently.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Exactly.

Are these the signs of dumb players or insufficient coaching?
What would you say the odds are that Fisher, Schottenheimer and Williams DON'T sufficiently coach discipline?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
What would you say the odds are that Fisher, Schottenheimer and Williams DON'T sufficiently coach discipline?
what are the most likely causes of this gameday behavior, because the consistency of this behavior is evidence of something consistent. What else am I missing?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
what are the most likely causes of this gameday behavior, because the consistency of this behavior is evidence of something consistent. What else am I missing?
I really can't answer that. You have the league Champions last year who committed the most, and it wasn't an obstacle for them, obviously. This year Pitt and SF have more penalties per game, and they're a combined 6-4. On the flip side, you have a team like Jacksonville who's in the top 5 of fewest penalties, and they haven't won a game. In the end, I can't really find a way to quantify if penalties even affect your chances to win a game at all.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler

Buehler?

Buehler?

Hold up. You aren't really trying to say that Davis's stats weren't inflated by the Eagles defense being less aggressive in the second half to allow yards, but not points?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hold up. You aren't really trying to say that Davis's stats weren't inflated by the Eagles defense being less aggressive in the second half to allow yards, but not points?
I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out what you're asking me. :huh: