Bud Sasser to be released due to heart condition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
What a class act by the Rams. Sign him when they knew he wouldn't be cleared to play and give him $113,737 anyway. Hopefully that money will help get him started in real life...
^ This is what I was about to post. They signed him knowing he wasn't going to play. This organization has been doing all the right things for "karma". It's about time they get paid back in spades.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
This opens the gate for CG to be the clear leader for the #5 WR spot. Damian Williams is really his only true competition now.

ram007

Starter
Wish a speedy recovery to Bud.

For Rams as a football team, weak WR group takes a depth hit (n):(

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Wasn't it just announced that Sasser signed his rookie contract? How much of that does he get? I am just curious. Why sign a contract at all. Couldn't the Rams have just paid him for the time he was on the team?
isn't that kind of an uncaring and harsh comment?

They apparently signed him, to allow him to have access to the NFL benefits, and he gets his signing bonus "The Rams signed Sasser to his rookie contract Tuesday and he will receive his signing bonus of $113,737."

I think once again, its an example of the class this organization has regarding its players and the way the treat them.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wasn't it just announced that Sasser signed his rookie contract? How much of that does he get? I am just curious. Why sign a contract at all. Couldn't the Rams have just paid him for the time he was on the team?

I don't know his whole history, but why is this now a problem? He played pee wee, high school and college football. And now he can't play? Imagine working your whole life at something and bein told you can't do it because of your health. I hope the kid has a back up plan.

What a class act by the Rams. Sign him when they knew he wouldn't be cleared to play and give him $113,737 anyway. Hopefully that money will help get him started in real life...
I think once again, its an example of the class this organization has regarding its players and the way the treat them.
Exactly...and moves like this make me respect the Rams, Snisher, Demoff, and yea Stan K....more...Classy org. classy move...he may be silent, but he knows business...tip my cap from the west coast...good luck Bud

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
^ This is what I was about to post. They signed him knowing he wasn't going to play. This organization has been doing all the right things for "karma". It's about time they get paid back in spades.
I can't say for sure that this is how it was intended... but, if it was, - absolutely, classy thing to do!!

I'm going to assume they arranged it so he got the bonus.

Way to go Rams!!!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly...and moves like this make me respect the Rams, Snisher, Demoff, and yea Stan K....more...Classy org. classy move...he may be silent, but he knows business...tip my cap from the west coast...good luck Bud

What's $100,000 to ESK?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
That sucks big time for him. I am sure he is greatful that the Rams signed him and he got that $113k bonus(awesome job by the rams org.), but still most be heart breaking for him not to be able to further his football career, not right now at least(if ever).

ram007

Starter
That sucks big time for him. I am sure he is greatful that the Rams signed him and he got that $113k bonus(awesome job by the rams org.), but still most be heart breaking for him not to be able to further his football career, not right now at least(if ever).

Rams are not helping him. They are buying his rights for $115K

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He went to high school in the city I live in.

I would have been pulling for the kid.

But, like some have said, this may have saved his life. Much more important than football.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap

This is the only way they can pay him, via a signing bonus. Players get virtually nothing for Off-Season Training, OTA's, Pre-Season Games, it's more or less lodging & meal money. It's not until the Regular season starts that the base salary is paid over a 17 week period.

I applaud the Rams for being proactive and doing something they didn't have to do. I wish Mr. Sasser nothing but the best, I'm sure it's a tough time for him right now having your dreams crushed.

There have been too many Hank Gathers, Reggie Lewis's, JV Cain's, Darrel Kile's, etc. I'm just thankful this was discovered before a much different outcome occurred.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm guessing it's something like a heart murmur or arrhythmia problem, something that I began dealing with at the age of 18. When beginning to study martial arts, I had to sign a waiver form in case something happened to me. My instructor was wary of letting me participate but I made it through ten plus years of rigorous training with no problems. Best of luck to Sasser in his future endeavors and a tip-of-the-hat to the Rams organization for their kindness.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can the Rams assume he won't get better and will not sign with a different team in 2016?
I guess it depends on the nature of the defect. But doing this for a 7th rounder? Like I said, I'll assume they did it to be fair to the kid.

ram007

Starter
I guess it depends on the nature of the defect. But doing this for a 7th rounder? Like I said, I'll assume they did it to be fair to the kid.

May be. May be not. Another poster up the thread indicated Rams were obligated to pay.