CAMP REPORT Bubba's 1 Aug TC Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Coleman Shelton has shown to have put forth a hell of a lot of great effort over the last few seasons after being blessed with slight NFL physical skills & frame. It's clearly apparent that CS is very smart & resourceful.

CS abruptly plowed past all the other highly blessed Ram Reserve Ol'ers to secure the top Reserve OL position to assist this team win its first Championship Season in over 2 decades. I understand fully that CS has fully & completely achieved the privilege to be the starting RG in the Ram 2022 OL!

In that 2021 Vikings game, Shelton demonstrated his versatility. He was awesome & seamless moving from OG to OC, "Flawless" would be a better description.:startstruck::wow2::smilehearts::hug:!

CS when on the field is the best OL'er Carberry has on hitting his target on the move! He is much better than Brian Allen at making these required blocks. In addition, his quick lateral movement & turning skills are getting close to being excellent also. So there is a bonified reason he is the current starter. CS might also be a perfect working partner with BA since they might offset each other while in action. BA has been better at the point of attack.

CS has that look, i.e. as the great Marshall Faulk did ......his body is just not that impressive to be in the NFL as a starter.

My biggest question is how will CS @ 6-4 299lbs stand up against those extra-large 330lbs starting DT's over time? That remains to be seen.

CS might have gotten strong enough (to get those extremely short alligator arms folded & tucked away inside {out of sight of the refs}) to hold to perfection to make it work. We will see if he starts.

This is a very big question for Carberry to answer here in 30-something days.....to discover a smart, instructional soaking interior OL'er, who can quickly fill the position that CS did the last few seasons. That is a very difficult mission with very little material available.

Hopefully, Rookie
Jack Snyder can start to be that guy to begin to fill CS's shoes if he starts @ OG.

Ref.
Chandler Brewer working in @ OC......being over 6-6 & 320 plus pounds will be a serious challenge to overcome. But he could replace OC Kolone on the PS & end up winning being the selected mover back & forth from MR53 to PS squad this season as the 10th OL'er.
Great post as always Boni.
What do you think of Snyder?
I have no familiarity with him at all.
I didn't remember that Brewer is that big. Him working at C can be one of two things....He has been working there during his lost covid year. Why would he working at C? Either the coaches see promise there or he has been effectively ruled out as depth at other spots.
The one Center I remember being that big is Steve Everett.
I remember him being a mauler inside. Don't know if Brewer possesses the tools for that.
I also remember Everett came in for the Rams as the starting Center got hurt. Everett got the snap count wrong and broke Kurt Warners finger.

fearsomefour

Legend
Bruss is just a physical prototype for the position and what they want. He's incredibly similar to Austin Corbett in so many ways.
Corbett got lost in a shitty organization, so it took him a while to really find his place in the NFL. Bruss couldn't have a better situation possible for a rookie Olineman, period. One college teammate.. another alum.. taking him in to transition to his new team/home and a god like Whitworth giving him one-on-one attention in camp.

Bruss will win the job.
I agree with this, although the Rams don't start a lot of rookies under McVay.
I liked Corbett quite a bit and got to watch dominate (at T) in college. That said, I think Bruss is a better fit for the zone scheme. I like the Bruss pick quite a bit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's always a big occasion when a team hits on an OL in the draft. Not sure if they're gonna hit on Bruss of course but if they do and he's what they thought he was (which is a guy you jump in the pool for) then we're talking a cornerstone interior stud for the future. Think about that one.

I expect we're gonna see some A gap and right side pounding in general from this offense this year in the run game IF they hit on Bruss. If not, they'll make do like they usually do. But I'm really hoping for a surge in that run game potency this year.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've watched Shelton since he was with UW. He's better than most on this board seem to understand. He has the mobility to get out and make blocks on the second level, something both Edwards and Corbett struggled at. If he's the starter at RG he's an upgrade. He's also more aware during plays and can come off a double to pick up a delayed blitz or stunts something both Edwards and Corbett were not good at. What I've always liked about Shelton is that he plays with a mean streak.

I think Bruss was drafted to play RG that said they could redshirt him as a reserve this year to give Shelton experience and plug him in at RG next year. That would allow Carberry to shift Coleman to LG next year when Edwards isn't extended. Edwards has had two years to nail down the LG position and IMO he hasn't done it.

I've been very high on Jack Snyder since he was signed. He's raw but has the physical tools to play in the NFL if he has the head for it. He plays with a nasty streak. He has the makings of a good backup and maybe a starter someday in the future. I think the drafting of Bruss and Snyder show a change in how they draft for OGs. Instead of Kromer's dated and cumbersome idea of drafting OTs and converting them to OG's the Rams are drafting OGs to play OG and OTs to play OT, i.e. Jackson and Arcuri to play OT, Bruss, and Snyder to play OG. Bruss did play at RT but he also played at OG showing he could play the position. That is why Shelton has the edge right now as Bruss focuses upon playing OG. Unlike Kromer assuming all OTs could play OG. That dated philosophy takes too long to develop players. It's 3 years before you know what you have. Too often the result is a marginal starter like Edwards.

I think they have good talent at OT and OG in Jackson, Arcuri, Bruss, and Snyder with Jackson and Bruss looking like starters next year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I've watched Shelton since he was with UW. He's better than most on this board seem to understand. He has the mobility to get out and make blocks on the second level, something both Edwards and Corbett struggled at. If he's the starter at RG he's an upgrade. He's also more aware during plays and can come off a double to pick up a delayed blitz or stunts something both Edwards and Corbett were not good at. What I've always liked about Shelton is that he plays with a mean streak.

I think Bruss was drafted to play RG that said they could redshirt him as a reserve this year to give Shelton experience and plug him in at RG next year. That would allow Carberry to shift Coleman to LG next year when Edwards isn't extended. Edwards has had two years to nail down the LG position and IMO he hasn't done it.

I've been very high on Jack Snyder since he was signed. He's raw but has the physical tools to play in the NFL if he has the head for it. He plays with a nasty streak. He has the makings of a good backup and maybe a starter someday in the future. I think the drafting of Bruss and Snyder show a change in how they draft for OGs. Instead of Kromer's dated and cumbersome idea of drafting OTs and converting them to OG's the Rams are drafting OGs to play OG and OTs to play OT, i.e. Jackson and Arcuri to play OT, Bruss, and Snyder to play OG. Bruss did play at RT but he also played at OG showing he could play the position. That is why Shelton has the edge right now as Bruss focuses upon playing OG. Unlike Kromer assuming all OTs could play OG. That dated philosophy takes too long to develop players. It's 3 years before you know what you have. Too often the result is a marginal starter like Edwards.

I think they have good talent at OT and OG in Jackson, Arcuri, Bruss, and Snyder with Jackson and Bruss looking like starters next year.
I love when the comedy season of posting starts.

Yes, yes.. the organization that just won the Super Bowl and has become the model for mid-round drafting and developing played the wrong guy at Right Guard last year and succeeded despite themselves.

It's so odd when there's so much information available and clear that the Rams absolutely, 100% drafted Bruss in the hopes of him winning the starting right guard spot that you would have to be aggressively ignorant to miss it.

Unfortunately, we're in an age where aggressively ignorant is rampant in many, many areas of life.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I sure am glad we picked Brian Quick over Alshon Jeffrey, that was the most amazing workout I've ever seen. - Jeff Fisher.
Geez, don't remind me. All Fisher ever cared about is if his receivers can block on run plays. He probably woulda been a real good coach back in the 60's.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I sure am glad we picked Brian Quick over Alshon Jeffrey, that was the most amazing workout I've ever seen. - Jeff Fisher.
I'll give you two $5's for a $50 Coach Fisher! Still can't believe he picked #99 for us!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'll give you two $5's for a $50 Coach Fisher! Still can't believe he picked #99 for us!
Whats scary is that the only reason the Rams drafted AD is because they had 2 1st rd picks that year. If they only had 1 pick, I'm sure they would have taken GRobinson over AD.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Tutu and Skow should compete for WR 3. I am seriously not worried. Skow was competing last season, we didn't have Akers now we do, our wr corp including the backs will be fine if not the most dominant in the league.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
All of the good picks that we've made I give the credit to Snead and all the bad picks we've made I blame Fisher.

It's easier that way, so I don't have to use my brain to actually figure it out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Great post as always Boni.
What do you think of Snyder?
I have no familiarity with him at all.
I didn't remember that Brewer is that big. Him working at C can be one of two things....He has been working there during his lost covid year. Why would he working at C? Either the coaches see promise there or he has been effectively ruled out as depth at other spots.
The one Center I remember being that big is Steve Everett.
I remember him being a mauler inside. Don't know if Brewer possesses the tools for that.
I also remember Everett came in for the Rams as the starting Center got hurt. Everett got the snap count wrong and broke Kurt Warners finger.
So you ask what do I think of JS? .....There is a good amount of information on OL'er Jack Snyder to consume.

He was a starting LT for basically five seasons with a whopping 52 starts, who came into Rams 2022 spring camp under 6-5/313 pounds by way of UDFA San Jose State, much like center Jeremiah Kolone came to us back in 2018. Most common statement that is produced about him is JS is primarily based on his movement skills.

Another reason JS seems to be lurking towards the center of the OL is this factor....Very Rare level of intelligence and football IQ! This is another physical reason for JS to be drifting center....Arm length – 31 1/8″, Hand size – 9 3/4″ & a shorter Wingspan – 77 7/8″.

Appears like a physical clone of Coleman Shelton just thicker in size & a very close skills backpack to that of Shelton with the same stuff in it. Using Rams last seasons reserve OG Bobby Evans who has a wing span of 80-1/2 inches & arm length of 35 inches. You can see why the center sure looks like the place for JS to hang out in the NFL.

Ref. Chandler Brewer Height: 6-6/320 plus lbs

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

To be fair, our DL was probably our strongest unit already and the Rams needed a lot of help elsewhere on the roster!
…so yeah, grab a DL.