Bruce Arians reveals he had kidney cancer during the 2016 season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Can't stand the man but hope he is able to remain cancer free and healthy.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-he-had-kidney-cancer-during-the-2016-season/

Bruce Arians reveals he had kidney cancer during the 2016 season
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 11, 2017

613068706-e1499802408474.jpg
Getty Images

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians has revealed that he was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma, the most common type of kidney cancer, during the 2016 season.

Arians writes in his new book that he got the diagnosis in December and decided to coach the rest of the season. He had surgery to remove the cancer in February and says he’s now doing well and will be healthy enough to coach the team in 2017.

Now I feel great,” Arians writes, via the Cardinals’ website. “My energy has returned. I’m told I’m cancer-free again. I’m ready for at least one more season of NFL football—maybe more.”

This is the third cancer diagnosis for Arians, who has previously had prostate cancer in 2007 and had cancerous cells scraped off his nose in 2013.

“Moving forward, I want to be a beacon of hope for others struggling with cancer,” Arians writes. “My fight is their fight. I’m not coaching for myself in 2017; I’m coaching for everyone who’s dealing with cancer. This is my charge.”

Fans of all teams will root for Arians in that fight.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
While I kinda hate the guy for that 7-9 comment....I wish no ill will on a good dude like this. Hope he beats CA's ass like he wanted to beat Fish....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I hope he fully recovers.

And by the way he is an average coach without a guy named Palmer.

He's actually a 7-9 guy LOL.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I wish him the best in life and recovery because ultimately that's what is important...... but i still hope him, his ego and his team receive a beatdown on gamedays.

DVontel

Rookie
I hope he fully recovers.

And by the way he is an average coach without a guy named Palmer.

He's actually a 7-9 guy LOL.
I'm pretty sure coach that isn't Belichick is a 7-9 coach without their starting QB, lol.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Wow, guy has some guts

Get better Arians.

We need you fully fit so you can properly appreciate the beat down the Rams have in store for you in 2017

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I wish him the best in life and recovery because ultimately that's what is important...... but i still hope him, his ego and his team receive a beatdown on gamedays.
I like the idea of the Rams Playing an Arians Coached team, We average about 4-6 sacks a game, and they usually go through 2-3 QB's! They're Fun games!!(y):D
1098emogy.gif

-footballpileup-.gif

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

This is an example of why we will always be bros, and not just Booty Brotherhood bros.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm pretty sure coach that isn't Belichick is a 7-9 coach without their starting QB, lol.
This shouldn't go unnoticed. I can't think of a single other coach who would succeed without their starting QB. Some guys are lucky to get to 7-9. Teams like the Packers, Steelers, Ravens, Seahawks, Lions, Giants, Redskins and a few others would be 4-12 without their starter. Which shows that the coach can only do so much without a guy under center.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

No he's not..Belichick went 11-5 with Matt freaking Cassell. Belichick makes them good, Tom Brady makes them great as I bite my tongue posting this.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wish Bruce Arians the best in life and the worst on the sidelines coaching the Arizona Cardinals..Beware of the Bird that shits on your nose.
going-long-bruce-arians-storyimage960.jpg

DVontel

Rookie
No he's not..Belichick went 11-5 with Matt freaking Cassell. Belichick makes them good, Tom Brady makes them great as I bite my tongue posting this.
I forgot to add *any before coach, but yea you're basically reiterating what I said I think, lol.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/17/bruce-arians-is-no-fan-of-the-spread-offense/

Bruce Arians is no fan of the spread offense
Posted by Mike Florio on July 17, 2017

623044550-e1500296640449.jpg
Getty Images

If/when the Cardinals draft a quarterback while Bruce Arians is still coaching the team, don’t expect the quarterback to come from a college spread offense.

“[T]hat damn sure ain’t what playing quarterback is all about,” Arians writes in his new book, The Quarterback Whisperer. “The most important trait needed to become a QB is leadership. But there is no leadership required of the quarterback in [the college] version of the spread.

He doesn’t talk to his teammates in the huddle, he doesn’t change the snap count — hell, he barely even reads the defense. The college spread quarterback doesn’t learn the mental and physical skills needed to execute the intricacies of the NFL game. That puts the college spread QBs who aspire to play and succeed in the NFL at a distinct disadvantage.”

Arians adds that any NFL team drafting a spread quarterback “can expect him to fail early in his career,” which means he’ll need the mental toughness to deal with failure. “Most rookie quarterbacks are going to suck anyway . . . but he’ll really be at a disadvantage if he’s coming from a spread team and has no idea of the pro concepts.”

These passages suggest that the Cardinals would have taken neither Patrick Mahomes nor Deshaun Watson with the 13th pick in round one, if the Chiefs hadn’t sprung to No. 10 for Mahomes and if the Texans hadn’t jumped to No. 12 for Watson. However, Arians claimed to admire Watson’s leadership and his game before the draft; if Watson had still been on the board, who knows what Arians and the Cardinals may have done?

Here’s what we know for now: The Cardinals have no rookie quarterback to develop behind Carson Palmer. Appearing last week on PFT Live, Arians said that Drew Stanton would be the replacement if Palmer retires before Arians does. The coach also expressed positive reviews regarding free-agent acquisition Blaine Gabbert. (Yes, Blaine Gabbert.)

However it goes, one thing is clear about the Cardinals of the last decade. When they have Kurt Warner or Carson Palmer, they contend. Without either guy, the Cardinals struggle.

Of course, that’s probably true for every other team and their good or bad quarterbacks, further confirming the importance of having a guy who can play — and who can lead.