Browns reportedly reaching out to top teams about trading up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Davis Webb - QB - Player
Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline reports if the Browns fail to land UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky in the first round, Cal QB Davis Webb will be the target at No. 33 overall.

On Tuesday, Pauline reported Webb is drawing a ton of interest from teams at the top of Round 2. He's expected to be one of the first five quarterbacks off the board, and there was some chatter earlier this month that Webb has a chance to go in the first round. If the Browns are unable to move up from No. 12 overall to get to Trubisky, they could be in position to go with Clemson's Deshaun Watson, but it's unclear who Cleveland prefers as their Plan B behind Trubisky.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now, reports are that the Browns will go Trubisky at #1. If that happens and Hue Jackson likes Garrett as much as has been reported, I walk out of the Browns' facility and never come back if I'm Hue. Baffling that they never learn from their mistakes.

We'll see if they actually do it.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I would trade down, they have 12 and need a fresh infusion of talent. they could drop somewhere between the 1 and their 12 and still get their QB most likely along with a second at least.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now, reports are that the Browns will go Trubisky at #1. If that happens and Hue Jackson likes Garrett as much as has been reported, I walk out of the Browns' facility and never come back if I'm Hue. Baffling that they never learn from their mistakes.

We'll see if they actually do it.
There's no way... Right?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. IMO they'll have the pick of the litter of QB's at #12
Not necessarily. Remember when ponder locker and gabbert all went top 12 back in 2011? This could be a very similar deal

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
No person who has actually watched Garrett thinks he has effort issues.
I guess Warren's stock has fallen so far, he may not be considered an actual person by some....but he IS a HOF'er...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-garrett-lazy-says-hes-not-no-1-pick-material
ESPN's Adam Schefter shared Sapp's comments:

I don't see it from this kid. I see the splash plays—everybody gets those. Where's the game he took over? Where? Any defensive lineman who's the No. 1 pick, you turn up and you say, 'There it is!' This kid, no, I don't. I'm a pretty plain and frank guy, and I watch the tape and he disappears. I watch the tape and he absolutely disappears.

Sapp added that Garrett is "a lazy kid that makes four plays a game."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-garrett-shouldnt-be-the-no-1-overall-pick/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/19225223/warren-sapp-think-myles-garrett-no-1-pick

Ooooh, found a real, live regular person...LOL
http://www.brownsfootballtalk.com/forums/topic/is-myles-garrett-lazy/
Hey, Mary Kay: I don’t understand all the hype surrounding Myles Garrett as the number 1 pick. In the games I’ve seen him play, he has been underwhelming and his stats show that most of his tackles/sacks are against inferior competition. Also, after his first move, it seems like he sleep-walks through the rest of the play — essentially no motor at all. I’ve read all the reports about what a “great athlete” he is but haven’t we learned our lesson regarding using that characteristic as a litmus test in the draft with Mingo and Gilbert? What am I missing? — Ken Knapp, Hollywood, Fla.

Hey, Ken: I’ve talked to at least one NFL talent evaluator who shares your view. While most experts are raving about Garrett and believe he’s the No. 1 pick in the draft, the person I talked to doesn’t like his work ethic or his hustle. He disappeared somewhat in the Texas Bowl, but maybe he was trying to protect himself heading into the draft. I will be interested to hear what some of the NFL types think at the Senior Bowl this week. Garrett won’t be there, but all the personnel execs and many of the coaches will be.

Even funnier – according to this article – 1 scout says he’s a bust in waiting. Another says he’ll be better than Von Miller – as an OLB in a 3-4. Jonathon Allen – scout says is best suited as a 3-4 DE. So we switch to a 4-3 and the 2 best defensive guys are suited to a 3-4? WTF? Now – obviously take this all with a grain of salt – but ou have to admit it’s right up our alley to do this.

I’m still of the mind set Watson is ours #1 overall.

http://www.brownsfootballtalk.com/forums/topic/tale-of-the-tape-2017-nfl-draft-prospect-film-study/

this is an interesting take...it says he was decent vs Tennessee... but awful vs LSU....Maybe the caliber of RB's he faced played a role. It's an interesting read.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I been behind on Browns news but so I'm schocked they need a QB after Johnny Manziel didn't work out.

Still can't believe people here wanted that jack ass.
I confess.... :oops:
raw

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess Warren's stock has fallen so far, he may not be considered an actual person by some....but he IS a HOF'er...

No, read my comment again. Warren Sapp is considered a person who hasn't actually watched Garrett. That is pretty clear. Enough said:
"Appearing on the Dan Patrick Show Tuesday, NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah said, "I haven't talked to one personnel guy that has an issue with Myles Garrett and his effort."

This topic has gotten recent media attention, likely in a plot from a team trying to somehow scare the Browns off Garrett at No. 1 overall. Ex-NFL Network "talent" Warren Sapp added fuel to it by calling out Garrett for being "lazy". ESPN's Todd McShay ripped Sapp's evaluation on Tuesday, and some have questioned if Sapp has ever even seen Garrett play a snap. We doubt it."

Sapp's a blowhard.

Ooooh, found a real, live regular person...LOL
http://www.brownsfootballtalk.com/forums/topic/is-myles-garrett-lazy/

http://www.brownsfootballtalk.com/forums/topic/tale-of-the-tape-2017-nfl-draft-prospect-film-study/

this is an interesting take...it says he was decent vs Tennessee... but awful vs LSU....Maybe the caliber of RB's he faced played a role. It's an interesting read.

You have successfully proven that if you put enough scouts together, you're going to find one contrarian. "I’m still of the mind set Watson is ours #1 overall." Loooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

Champ, take the time to watch himself for yourself rather than relying on people like Sapp.

Just to demonstrate my point, in Bob McGinn's article from 2014, all the scouts had stellar things to say about Aaron Donald except this one guy:
"His speed is rare, and I can't stand him," a third scout said. "A 6-foot, 280-pound DT ... who's he going to beat in our league? I think the media has created this guy. Listen. He makes some plays, but our game is not built for him. I like him as a college player, but I don't see him on our team making a difference."

There's always some guy who has a contrary opinion. When the vast majority of people agree that Myles Garrett doesn't have effort issues, you probably shouldn't be relying on the handful that do. In fact, there actually was a guy who claimed that Aaron fucking Donald had effort issues coming out of Pitt:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/3/4/5456006/the-notebook-aaron-donald-master-of-technique
"Donald would, in many ways, be a perfect fit for the Cowboys. With last year's three technique, Jason Hatcher, likely leaving via free agency, Donald would fill an immediate need. If he lasts until the 16th pick, he will likely be the best player available, anyway. Even with his questionable effort at times, I have to think Marinelli will see a lot of Geno Atkins in Donald and pound the table for the Cowboys to take him so that Donald can be a cornerstone for a new foundation after the defense's wretched performance last season under Monte Kiffin.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that Donald should not drop that far. Even with the intermittent effort issues, this guy plays at a level, technique-wise, that I haven't seen from a college defensive lineman in the last decade. Yes, I'm including Atkins, Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh, Marcell Dareus, Nick Fairley and anybody else you can name. None of them had what this kid has at that point in their football lives."

The author of that article, Stephen White, played DL in the NFL for six or seven years.

Like I said, if you get enough people together, you can always find one or two people with a contrary opinion on anything. If even Aaron Donald can't escape people questioning his effort, nobody can.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just to demonstrate my point, in Bob McGinn's article from 2014, all the scouts had stellar things to say about Aaron Donald except this one guy:
"His speed is rare, and I can't stand him," a third scout said. "A 6-foot, 280-pound DT ... who's he going to beat in our league? I think the media has created this guy. Listen. He makes some plays, but our game is not built for him. I like him as a college player, but I don't see him on our team making a difference."
I feel you....While I haven't watched a lot of Garrett, I did see him in some games...the UCLA game being one of them...I actually have no issues with a guy that runs what he did, lifts what he did, and seems to be an overall very nice person, and has solid production. I was just saying if the BROWNS believe his effort issues, they should select another player....funny you should bring up Donald...A friend and I were talking about Garrett...and I used Donald as an example of a player that plays like a #1 pick....he dominates games from his position. I also used N. Suh... I'm not sure Garrett dominates in that way...I haven't seen enough of him...I knew we'd never get a chance to pick him...I just don't like players saying anyone looks "lazy", then considering them the "best" in the draft class. I questioned whether Donald would be as effective in the pros, but I couldn't deny he was a dominant player in college. Hence, Donald & Suh, look like #1 overall picks.....for defensive players.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel you....While I haven't watched a lot of Garrett, I did see him in some games...the UCLA game being one of them...I actually have no issues with a guy that runs what he did, lifts what he did, and seems to be an overall very nice person, and has solid production. I was just saying if the BROWNS believe his effort issues, they should select another player....funny you should bring up Donald...A friend and I were talking about Garrett...and I used Donald as an example of a player that plays like a #1 pick....he dominates games from his position. I also used N. Suh... I'm not sure Garrett dominates in that way...I haven't seen enough of him...I knew we'd never get a chance to pick him...I just don't like players saying anyone looks "lazy", then considering them the "best" in the draft class. I questioned whether Donald would be as effective in the pros, but I couldn't deny he was a dominant player in college. Hence, Donald & Suh, look like #1 overall picks.....for defensive players.

From what I understand, Hue Jackson is pounding the table for Garrett, but the FO (possibly the owner) might overrule him and take a QB.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I been behind on Browns news but so I'm schocked they need a QB after Johnny Manziel didn't work out.

Still can't believe people here wanted that jack ass.
On the Cowboys message board, a guy called out several posters for wanting Johnny, then dug up old threads with their quotes. It was funny.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I can't help but see this as smoke - surely they will take Garrett at #1 - what I'm having a hard time figuring out - is to what end? Are they just trying to create drama for the league the way the Rams did with Goff/Wentz? Are they trying to flush out potential interest for the #1 pick? Is this part of their effort to work a trade up from 12?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
From what I understand, Hue Jackson is pounding the table for Garrett, but the FO (possibly the owner) might overrule him and take a QB.
Why wouldn't they let DePodesta & Hue fix this? I mean, they hired all these analytics people...let them do their job...I can't believe we're looking like Cleveland....

If I was the browns....I'd wait for 2018....and have this team ready for Darnold or Rosen....they put together an awesome line....and they have Greg Williams for the defense...they could win 8-9 games with Osweilder or Kessler.

Ram65

Legend
The Browns are dysfunctional as always. The rumor is that Hue Jackson wants Garrett, but the FO/Owner want to overrule him and draft Trubisky. I feel for Hue. Still don't know why he took that job.

He took it because for some odd reason more teams were not looking at him. Took him 5 years to get another HC job but the clown show Rex Ryan gets hired right away. Jackson might be the most underrated coach in the NFL. He is right in wanting Garrett over Trubisky. I heard the same thing you did on that too. Hue does deserve better. If I was Cleveland I would let him make the call and watch my team win.

Hue (DePodesta) screwed up by not taking Wentz last year. I thought Wentz was a perfect fit in Cleveland. Even if they didn't know who the Rams were taking. Goff would be better anyway. When Wentz had Lane Johnson at RT he was much better. Right now I would rather have Wentz than have to reach for this years QBs.They are dysfunctional. They are rebuilding again but, without a QB it's hard.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...hy-cleveland-passed-on-drafting-carson-wentz/
Browns exec explains why Cleveland passed on drafting Carson Wentz

Paul DePodesta says there is no 'inventing' top-20 QB prospects if they don't exist
The Browns are a fascinating team to watch in 2016, particularly early on. They probably won't be very good, but they hold two first-round picks for 2017, including one from the Eagles, who they will play in Week 1.

Win or lose, their draft position improves. What makes the first week so enticing is Philly facing the quarterback they didn't want to draft.

Carson Wentz is the official starter for the Eagles, Doug Pederson announced Monday, in the wake of the team dealing Sam Bradford to the Vikings.

Wentz could've been on the other side of things, if Cleveland had drafted him, but according to chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta, the Browns didn't view him as someone who could become a top-tier quarterback.

DePodesta opened up about the subject of evaluating quarterbacks in a lengthy interview with Tony Grossi of ESPN and, without being rude, he made it clear they don't see Wentz as a franchise quarterback.

"We have to make judgments on the individual players and we're not always going to be right," DePodesta said. "But in this particular case, we just didn't feel it was necessarily the right bet to make for us at this time. Again, it comes down to individual evaluation of a player. We will not always be right on those type of things.

"I think the hardest part, and where we have to stay the most disciplined, as much as you want a player, you can't invent him if he doesn't exist. In a given year, there may be two or three NFL-ready quarterbacks at the college level. In another year, there literally may be zero. There just may be not be anybody in that year who's good enough to be a top 20 quarterback in the NFL.

"Even though you have a desperate need for one, you have to resist the temptation of taking that guy just because you have a need if you don't believe he's one of those 20 guys at the end of the day. I think that's the hardest part, just maintaining your discipline because you have the need. That's what we did this year."

Week 1 alone won't decide whether the Browns were right or wrong to pass on Wentz. If he lights up Cleveland's defense up and looks like a future superstar, it doesn't mean they made a mistake, but it absolutely will cause panic in Cleveland.

The reality is DePodesta is right: needing a quarterback routinely results in NFL teams reaching for players or making personnel mistakes in attempts to acquire said quarterback. There is a short shelf life for NFL front offices, and gambling on quarterbacks is part of the process when there's little patience for people who run teams.

Maintaining discipline, trusting your process and acquiring the best possible quarterback candidate is the way to approach things. Nothing else has worked in Cleveland before, so why not give it a try.

Of course, there's also one guy in Wentz who will be plenty motivated to prove the Browns still don't know what they're doing.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Mebbe the best solution is to figure a way to make something happen from the "take Garrett no.1" camp and the "Trubisky is our guy" camp.
Consider this: Cleveland could consider trading the no. 1 pick to Tennessee for both of their one's ( no.5 and no.18) plus mebbe some other picks like a 2 or 3 next year. Whatever would make the deal equitable for both parties.

That way Cleveland could mebbe justify taking Trubisky at no. 5 and still have two other first round picks (nos. 12 & 18) to fill in some holes.
Granted this is all based on the Titans desiring Myles Garrett enough to trade up for him but stranger things have happened and since they have their QB for the foreseeable future this could be a move that puts them in the mix for a playoff spot.

What say ya'll?
~ArkyRamsFan~

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Browns should go for Myles Garrett, he's going to kill it in GW's defense. I'm fine with Trubisky going to any team in the 1st round, it makes for one prospect to fall to us in the 2nd.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Browns should go for Myles Garrett, he's going to kill it in GW's defense. I'm fine with Trubisky going to any team in the 1st round, it makes for one prospect to fall to us in the 2nd.
I watched Mike Mayock's "1st Round Mock" last night on NFLN, and I hope he's right!
He had 3 QB's going in the 1st, w/ Arizona trading back up into the 1st (Losing a 3rd rounder to do it) and Taking a QB! I like that scenario!!