Browns interviewed Rams QB coach Frank Cignetti for OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

The #Browns interviewed #Rams QB coach Frank Cignetti for their vacant OC job today, source said.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Browns pass on Rams-affiliated coordinator candidates
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ass-on-rams-affiliated-coordinator-candidates

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Another offensive coordinator job went off the board Wednesday morning when the Cleveland Browns decided to go with former Raiders quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo to fill their vacancy.

That news came a day after it was revealed that the Browns had showed interest in a pair of intriguing candidates with ties to the St. Louis Rams. Cleveland spoke to current Rams quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti and former Rams head coach Mike Martz about the job on Tuesday at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama. In their own way, both of those conversations came as a bit of a surprise.

Cignetti has been the Rams quarterbacks coach since 2012 when Jeff Fisher came on as head coach. Cignetti has coordinator experience at the college level, doing the job at Fresno State, North Carolina, Cal, Rutgers and Pittsburgh. He has never done it at the NFL level, however.

Martz has been out of the league since after the 2011 season following stints as offensive coordinator in San Francisco, Detroit and Chicago after his departure from St. Louis. He was the Rams head coach from 2000 to 2005, compiling a 56-36 record that would probably be a welcome sight around St. Louis these days.

In the past 24 hours, the Browns (DeFilippo), Jacksonville Jaguars (Greg Olson), Oakland Raiders (Bill Musgrave), Baltimore Ravens (Marc Trestman) and New York Jets (Chan Gailey) have filled their offensive coordinator jobs. Neither Cignetti nor Martz has been tied to the open job in St. Louis to this point.

It's unlikely Martz would be an option for the Rams though it would be a lot of fun for fans and media. Cignetti is an in-house candidate who could be considered though most signs point to tight ends coach Rob Boras being the strongest possibility of those on the current staff.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Hmm, our QB coach. Wow

And on Martz, fans were calling for his head at the time. They don't deserve him back.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think this may the final opportunity for Martz in the NFL.

Can't beat out a guy from Oakland? Or Frank Cig-freaking-netti?

I have to figure no one wants to roll his dice anymore.

He was great for us... thanks, Mike.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Hmm, our QB coach. Wow

And on Martz, fans were calling for his head at the time. They don't deserve him back.
You can certainly count me out of the list of fans calling for his head. I thought the whole thing was just senseless.

But I'm not so sure I would want him now.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
You can certainly count me out of the list of fans calling for his head. I thought the whole thing was just senseless.

But I'm not so sure I would want him now.

That's how it struck me too. Our team went into the abyss after that.