Browns inquired about Sam Bradford before trying for RG3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tony Grossi
http://www.espncleveland.com/common/mor ... ost_id=796

Bradford.jpg

Palm Beach, Fla.

The Browns asked the Rams about trading for quarterback Sam Bradford before turning their attention to Robert Griffin III, sources said at NFL meetings this week.

The Rams said no.

“His name came up, not from us,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Wednesday morning. "Clubs inquired. But there was no consideration whatsoever on our part (to trade Bradford).”

Fisher would not confirm the Browns were one of the teams.

“I prefer not to get into specifics about the conversations. I can say there were teams that inquired,” Fisher said.

This would be the second time the Browns tried to snatch Bradford. Prior to the 2010 draft, President Mike Holmgren made a last-ditch offer to move up from No. 7 to No. 1. The Rams – under a different regime – held the top pick and wouldn’t budge.

Bradford went on to have an outstanding rookie season. His quarterback coach and offensive coordinator at the time was Pat Shurmur, now Browns coach.

When Shurmur departed to Cleveland, Bradford struggled in his second season. He played much of the year with a high ankle sprain. Bradford beat the Browns, 13-12, in a game that ultimately secured the Indianapolis Colts the No. 1 pick in the draft. The Rams, 2-14, dropped to No. 2.

Fisher took over the Rams coaching job after the season and did not want to part with Bradford.

“I evaluated him coming out, and watched him play,” Fisher said. “Obviously he had an exceptional rookie year. Last year was a difficult year for him. It was a difficult year for the entire Rams offense because of different circumstances. There’s no question after watching tape of his rookie year that he has a chance to be special.”

How ironic would it have been if the Browns had been able to reunite Bradford with Shurmur? At Oklahoma, Bradford was the No. 1 college rival of Colt McCoy, of Texas. The two QBs could have been teammates.

In a text response, Shurmur declined to comment on whether the Browns tried to trade for Bradford.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So since them and other teams have called about Sam, does that still make him a bust?

steferfootball

Starter
Angry Ram said:
So since them and other teams have called about Sam, does that still make him a bust?
Sam is still well respected around the league. I've heard a number of scouts, league sources, and coaches say just that.

Just wait, and good things will happen. I believe this makes two attempts Holmgren has made at Bradford. The second of which was after a bad year.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
steferfootball said:
Angry Ram said:
Sam is still well respected around the league. I've heard a number of scouts, league sources, and coaches say just that.

Just wait, and good things will happen. I believe this makes two attempts Holmgren has made at Bradford. The second of which was after a bad year.

No doubt. I blame a lot on McDaniels and the injuries than I do on Sam. While he had to get better (movin around the pocket), he needs a.) health and b.) An OC that can utilize him properly and c) WRs that can umm catch.

steferfootball

Starter
Angry Ram said:
steferfootball said:
Angry Ram said:

No doubt. I blame a lot on McDaniels and the injuries than I do on Sam. While he had to get better (movin around the pocket), he needs a.) health and b.) An OC that can utilize him properly and c) WRs that can umm catch.
Quit blaspheming! :razzed:

PhxRam

I seriously would have given it a hard look.. even just for the sake of unloading his contract. (I am a Bradford fan before the shit slinging starts)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
PhxRam said:
I seriously would have given it a hard look.. even just for the sake of unloading his contract. (I am a Bradford fan before the shit slinging starts)
So would I. But it would have had to have been a GREAT offer. Like both their first rounders (minimum).

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
X said:
PhxRam said:
I seriously would have given it a hard look.. even just for the sake of unloading his contract. (I am a Bradford fan before the shyte slinging starts)
So would I. But it would have had to have been a GREAT offer. Like both their first rounders (minimum).

No. It could never happen. I swear, every single time I get a jersey, that player leaves the team. Marshall retires, Kurt leaves, Torry leaves...Now I have Sam's. He is not allowed to leave until I say it's ok.

PhxRam

X said:
PhxRam said:

Could you imagine that draft? Rg3 then essentially 3 more picks in the first (counting the early second rd pick)

We could have filled almost all our needs in 1 draft

steferfootball

Starter
PhxRam said:
X said:
PhxRam said:
I seriously would have given it a hard look.. even just for the sake of unloading his contract. (I am a Bradford fan before the shyte slinging starts)

Could you imagine that draft? Rg3 then essentially 3 more picks in the first (counting the early second rd pick)

We could have filled almost all our needs in 1 draft
That is true. But it is not like we faired too badly. ;)

Plus I'm betting that at least one of the future 1sts we got will he better than 22.