Browns exec take on Wentz vs Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Well that sucks because at this point teams should be doing the opposite of the Costanza browns.

But I prefer goff

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Damn, I'm not sure if that's a good or bad omen considering the Browns abysmal 1st round draft history lately

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Damn, I'm not sure if that's a good or bad omen considering the Browns abysmal 1st round draft history lately
Their new coach is considered a qb guru, no? So him wanting goff should be positive for us

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Don't worry about it. I personally think Wentz is overrated:
1) He relied on his scrambling ability in college. Can't do it in NFL, players are faster and hit harder. I think he knows that now.

2) He's not an accurate thrower. His WRs bailed him out a lot against lesser competition. While the Eagles WRs are better than Rams, the NFL corners are much better than a D2 lesser team.

3) He needs to go through his progressions before tucking and running. It can be learned, but I wouldn't trust that Philly o-line.

I wish Wentz the best of luck, but I don't think his ceiling is higher than Colin Kaepernick.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Browns & Hue Jackson believed Goff only top QB in draft

The Browns believed there was one NFL-ready passer in this year's class, as NFL.com columnist Michael Silver recently reported that coach Hue Jackson was "locked in on" Cal's Jared Goff with the draft's second pick. Once the Los Angeles Rams traded ahead of Cleveland to target the apple of Jackson's eye, though, the quarterback plans grew more complicated.

Jackson ultimately decided he would rather attempt to resurrect the moribund career of former No. 2 overall pick Robert Griffin III than pull the trigger on his own quarterback of the future once Goff was off the table.

What was it about Wentz that raised greater skepticism than buy-in?

While DePodesta predictably neglected to divulge specifics, a source close to the Browns' decision to pass on Wentz told Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson that game film was the primary factor. The North Dakota State star wasn't a consistently dominant force against opponents that will never play on Sundays.

The Browns simply didn't grade Wentz as a franchise-altering talent along the lines of Steve McNair, who eclipsed the lesser competition at small-school Alcorn State in the 1990s.

It didn't help that Wentz struggled in wet conditions during his pro day, not long after new Cleveland coach Hue Jackson emphasized the importance of a quarterback capable of handling the harsh conditions on the shores of Lake Erie.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have been getting trolled really hard by NFC West fans, who are loudly declaring that Goff is a BUST after 4 Preseason games..."Look, Wentz is starting Week One, and Goff isn't even the BACKUP..Same-Ole-Sorry-@ssed-Rams!!"

We have to be patient and not give in to thinking Goff won't pan out. It takes time for the kid to stop a college career of football tendencies under the shot gun at Cal. The talking heads put immense pressure on Goff and the Rams to say (and have) Goff to start Week One, and anything less than that means a draft failure. As much as our "realists" here like to say how bad we suck and have for a long time, 7-9 BS is much better than a 2-14 team that normally gets the best QB in the draft. Fisher wanted the guy we could build around for the future, but also did not want to give up this season like the 2-14 teams do when they bring th new guy in to start day one. Even the Iggles called this year Wentz's red shirt year, until the Vikings offered that silly @ssed deal for Sam Bradford, a deal they could not refuse.. Now Wentz is a starter, and heaven help him.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Screenshot_20160905-202111.jpg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
your poor guy is about to get a dose of realism....When he plays against teams that game plan and the vanilla schemes disappear, dude is gonna get killed....Dak is sorta like a AAA hitter that hits Home Runs into the upper decks when it's fast balls, but then it's a different story when curve balls are thrown.....You better hope RG III is available next year, bro...

Last edited:

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
your poor guy is about to get a dose of realism....When he plays against teams that game plan and the vanilla schemes disappear, dude is gonna get killed....Dak is sorta like a AAA hitter that hits Home Runs into the upper decks when it's fast balls, but then it's a different story when curve balls are thrown.....You better hope RG III is available next year, bro...
Ah, the whole, "preseason, vanilla" argument. Only exclusive to Dak Prescott. Every other QB was game planned for in the pre season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ah, the whole, "preseason, vanilla" argument. Only exclusive to Dak Prescott. Every other QB was game planned for in the pre season.

There doesn't need to be an argument made. There's no correlation between preseason success as a rookie QB and career success. We'll see what Dak does in the regular season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who says that? I never have...

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Don't worry about it. I personally think Wentz is overrated:
1) He relied on his scrambling ability in college. Can't do it in NFL, players are faster and hit harder. I think he knows that now.

2) He's not an accurate thrower. His WRs bailed him out a lot against lesser competition. While the Eagles WRs are better than Rams, the NFL corners are much better than a D2 lesser team.

3) He needs to go through his progressions before tucking and running. It can be learned, but I wouldn't trust that Philly o-line.

I wish Wentz the best of luck, but I don't think his ceiling is higher than Colin Kaepernick.

Disagree....:boxing:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
There doesn't need to be an argument made. There's no correlation between preseason success as a rookie QB and career success. We'll see what Dak does in the regular season.

I think we can reasonably assume he won't be leading the league in any (positive) QB catagories by week 4.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
If I recall, Goff had an issue gaining weight. Supposedly that issue was corrected and his now scrawny frame will put on some lbs. Holding the kid back to learn some plays and gain some weight can't hurt.