Britt Among 6 Veterans on the Roster Bubble in Training Camp/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Six veterans on the roster bubble in training camp

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...eterans-on-the-roster-bubble-in-training-camp

Sidney Rice signed a five-year, $41 million contract with the Seattle Seahawks only three seasons ago. Now he's just another NFL veteran fighting to make his team in training camp.

The NFL changes quickly for veterans like Rice that struggle to stay healthy. The Seahawks released Rice in February, and then re-signed him in April on a low-cost one-year deal with only $150,000 guaranteed. In short: It won't cost the Seahawks much to cut him.

Rice is coming off a torn ACL, and ESPN.com's initial roster projection for the 2014 season does not include Rice.

We believe Rice has a good shot to make the team over, say, Ricardo Lockette. But Rice needs to show that he's healthy in August or he could be out of a job. His situation got us thinking: What other NFL veterans you know well could be battling just to make the roster? Here are five more:

» Stephen Hill, New York Jets: Hill is in that strange place occupied by a lot of disappointing third-year players. He's going to be given every chance to start again. But if he falls short, the Jets might choose to cut their losses and move on. General manager John Idzik did not draft Hill, and investing another year in him might be a waste of time and energy.

» BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Cincinnati Bengals: Giovani Bernard should lead the Bengals backfield in carries. They drafted Jeremy Hill to essentially take The Law Firm's role as a pounding running back. Green-Ellis is essentially a highly paid No. 3 running back at best. He does have one thing going for him, however. Unlike most of this list, Green-Ellis has extensive experience as a special teamer.

» Dwight Freeney, San Diego Chargers: Freeney was quietly effective last year in San Diego. But he took a pay cut just to remain on the team and he's 34 years old coming off a torn quadriceps muscle. That's an injury that often shortens careers, even for younger players.

» Knowshon Moreno, Miami Dolphins: He showed up to offseason workouts out of shape, and then he underwent knee surgery. The Dolphins badly need running back help and they guaranteed Moreno $1.25 million when he signed, so he'll get every chance to make the team. But nothing would surprise us with Moreno after his offseason.

» Kenny Britt, St. Louis Rams: Britt impressed onlookers this offseason, but he's now settled into the "year-to-year" survival mode phase of his NFL career. The talent is still there to emerge as a quality starter, but his injuries and off-field issues have rarely stayed quiet for long.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
At 25 and loaded with talent, Britt isn't on the bubble. His contract isn't a problem, he's impressed already, and he's safe. I got a feeling he's gonna command at least double of what he's making now when his contract expires next year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At 25 and loaded with talent, Britt isn't on the bubble. His contract isn't a problem, he's impressed already, and he's safe. I got a feeling he's gonna command at least double of what he's making now when his contract expires next year.

Great. If he signs elsewhere, then the Rams will get a comp pick.

I'm hoping there will be enough improvement from the other receivers that Britt gets lost in the shuffle - but that's just me.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Only double? Lol, dudes only making 1.4 mill in base salary, if he has a beast season like the old KB he could possibly get 3 or 4 times than that maybe more to a lesser team.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Britt would have to mess up pretty badly to not make the team.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Only double? Lol, dudes only making 1.4 mill in base salary, if he has a beast season like the old KB he could possibly get 3 or 4 times than that maybe more to a lesser team.

You're 100% correct, my friend. I was being modest by putting "at least double." I'm just hoping teams don't rob him due to "character concerns." Hopefully we get the "I love Fisher" discount.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Britt is just like all of our other hopes.

TA is a stud

Bailey, once the douche gets over his suspension, will produce.

The TEs of Cook, Kendricks, Harkey will produce.

The rest are projects. Britt and Givens have proven themselves in the past. I don't bet on any o them, I bet that out of all of them, some will rise.