British discus thrower puts on a show at Regional Combine

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Agamemnon

Rookie
British discus thrower puts on a show at Regional Combine
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 7, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/07/british-discus-thrower-puts-on-a-show-at-regional-combine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... l-combine/</a>

When we noted last week that British discus thrower Lawrence Okoye had decided to put track and field on hold and try to make it in the NFL, we wrote that it seemed unlikely he would be drafted. But after Okoye put on an impressive performance at the Regional Combine in Dallas today, there may just be an NFL team willing to spend a draft pick on a player who has never played a down of football.

Former NFL personnel man Gil Brandt attended the Regional Combine and left saying that Okoye looks like he could be drafted as a defensive lineman.

Okoye measured in at 6-foot-5 3/8 and 304 pounds, and he ran his two 40-yard dashes in 4.88 and 4.78 seconds. That kind of size and speed combination is highly unusual: At the Indianapolis Scouting Combine, only five defensive linemen ran faster than Okoye, and none of those five weighed more than 277 pounds.

Brandt also describes Okoye as “unbelievably active and incredibly explosive in drills” and calls Okoye’s workout “a real, first-class show.”

For NFL teams, spending a draft pick on someone who has never played football is a risk. And spending a draft pick on someone who might just change his mind and decide he wants to go back to track and field is also a risk.

But in the seventh round of the draft, a guy who’s that big, strong and fast may be too tempting to pass up.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Re: British discus thrower puts on a show at Regional Combin

With our coaching staff, I'd take him in the 7th, they could probably coach him up.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Of course a track guy will excel in drills. Big fucking deal.

Put some pads on this ox and see if he can actually tackle his distant cousin Christian, "The Nigerian Nightmare", right now. Christian has got to be way out of shape these days and I bet he pummels this guy.

Talk about a long term project. Taking hits and delivering them takes a lot of reps.

No way I draft anybody who has never played a down. No fucking way. Not opposed to giving him a FOOTBALL tryout though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Selassie I said:

Put some pads on this ox and see if he can actually tackle his distant cousin Christian, "The Nigerian Nightmare", right now. Christian has got to be way out of shape these days and I bet he pummels this guy.

Talk about a long term project. Taking hits and delivering them takes a lot of reps.

No way I draft anybody who has never played a down. No fucking way. Not opposed to giving him a FOOTBALL tryout though.

I hear ya on all counts. Makes me think of Fendi Onabun.....who I was pulling for simply because of him name. But if you've never played football OL in the NFL is not the fucking place to start. If he was a RB or something else that relied on instincts and reaction it would be different but OL requires more than that and the only way to get it is have the skills AND experience. He has neither. He's a big guy who can run fast.

That's nowhere on the job description for an OLman in the NFL.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

LesBaker said:
Selassie I said:

I hear ya on all counts. Makes me think of Fendi Onabun.....who I was pulling for simply because of him name. But if you've never played football OL in the NFL is not the fucking place to start. If he was a RB or something else that relied on instincts and reaction it would be different but OL requires more than that and the only way to get it is have the skills AND experience. He has neither. He's a big guy who can run fast.

I think he's shooting for D-line. Raw athleticism is more transferable to the d-line than o-line, IMO.

I would make him a priority UDFA but I wouldnt spend a draft pick on him.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

libertadrocks said:
LesBaker said:
Selassie I said:
Of course a track guy will excel in drills. Big freaking deal.

No way I draft anybody who has never played a down. No freaking way. Not opposed to giving him a FOOTBALL tryout though.

I hear ya on all counts. Makes me think of Fendi Onabun.....who I was pulling for simply because of him name. But if you've never played football OL in the NFL is not the freaking place to start. If he was a RB or something else that relied on instincts and reaction it would be different but OL requires more than that and the only way to get it is have the skills AND experience. He has neither. He's a big guy who can run fast.

I think he's shooting for D-line. Raw athleticism is more transferable to the d-line than o-line, IMO.

I would make him a priority UDFA but I wouldnt spend a draft pick on him.
I agree with that. I think Mike Waufle is a good enough coach that he could coach him up and see if he could contribute at some point in the future.