Brian Westbrook has strong criticism of Eagles' QB Carson Wentz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/11/brian_westbrook_has_strong_criticism_of_eagles_qb.html
-a4ccc4028a4b65d8.JPG

Former Eagles running back Brian Westbrook pulled no punches when it comes to rookie quarterback Carson Wentz's mediocrity over the past seven games.

"There were some throws late in the [Seattle] game, five or seven-yard throws and he's sailing the ball over their head," Westbrook said recently on 975. The Fanatic. "He's throwing the ball at receiver's feet. He has to play better if this team is to have a chance."

Since starting the season 3-0, the Eagles are just 2-5 over the past seven weeks and Wentz has thrown six touchdowns and seven interceptions over that span after not throwing an interception in the month of September.

"It starts at the top and works its way down to our 'Golden Child' quarterback Carson Wentz," Westbrook said. "Let's call a spade a spade. Against that defense, if you stare down receivers, there are going to be interceptions. Wentz has to play better.

"I know he is dealing with the receivers, he's a rookie but he was also a rookie the first three games of the season," Westbrook said. "He wasn't forcing the ball to Bryce Treggs being double covered. If you want to throw that ball, you have to get that ball up early.

"You can't wait to throw it and then underthrow the kid. He's a fast kid. Get the ball up early. Carson Wentz panicked. He throws basically a Hail Marry on second down into double coverage with Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman."

Wentz threw two interceptions Sunday against the Seahawks, including a late-second quarter pass that was picked off by safety Kam Chancellor after telegraphing his throw over the middle of the field.

In fairness to Wentz, he is still a rookie and the Eagles wide receivers caught only two passes in the first three quarters against one of the NFL's elite defenses in a very difficult environment for visiting teams. However, if the Eagles are going to be a legitimate playoff threat over the final six games of the season, Wentz is going to need to play significantly better than he has over the past seven weeks.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO Wentz has "IT" and will be an excellent Quarterback for many years to come in Philadelphia...Big, strong, great arm can run and very bright...All the intangibles you want for a Quarterback the only knock on Wentz coming out was competition, durability and experience, but he has done amazing for his first year and has his team in playoff contention as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The same thing we've been saying re: Goff applies here: they're rookies and that first season is not much of an indicator of success. Wentz has done a good job, as good as what they would have gotten from B!#chford, and he's got upside which is the key.

Goff same deal. Regardless of whether he kills it, he has that upside to improve on. Not all QBs are gonna live up to it, but I think Goff and Wentz will be fine. So will Prescott of course. There are also some other guys on NFL rosters from this class that I liked very much who will play one day IMO and might be good enough to start at this level, Doughty for example.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO Wentz has "IT" and will be an excellent Quarterback for many years to come in Philadelphia...Big, strong, great arm can run and very bright...All the intangibles you want for a Quarterback the only knock on Wentz coming out was competition, durability and experience, but he has done amazing for his first year and has his team in playoff contention as well.

Come on den, we already have you on record saying something like "jrry convinced me about Jared Goff".....No backtracking on the Goff BANDWAGON!:rockon:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His hype train sure died down. I still think he and goff are going to be above average qbs. starting first surely doesn't mean that you're better though obviously

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I seem to remember Brian Westbrook having nothing but negative things to say about a lot of players.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Come on den, we already have you on record saying something like "jrry convinced me about Jared Goff".....No backtracking on the Goff BANDWAGON!:rockon:

No backtracking Goff is my guy, however, I believe Wentz will be a very good NFL Quarterback and Goff will be a great one.
giphy.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rookie QB playing like a rookie QB. That's football. Only reason why Dak avoids it is because of the talent around him.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Rookie QB playing like a rookie QB. That's football. Only reason why Dak avoids it is because of the talent around him.

While Dak has a hell of a team around him, he has been balling with spectacular plays few QB's can make.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
While Dak has a hell of a team around him, he has been balling with spectacular plays few QB's can make.
That's what happens when you have a team around you that lets you build confidence. If he was under constant pressure over the first 6 games, which he wasn't, he might not be playing right now. Put him on any of the teams the other rooks are playing and he would be just a guy finding his way like the rest of him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't agree. If you get to the NFL level and are good enough to start, you can generally make any play. Especially if you have protection. Even Case Keenum was capable of some brilliance.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Jared Goff scanning to his 3rd read: Courtesy of the Bear Raid offense.