Brian Billick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
101.jpg

[mp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/01/01052012123916.mp3[/mp3]

Yeah, he'd be interested in the job here if asked.
He thinks that Bradford is still someone you build around
And some other stuff.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He sure must have burned some bridges. I may be in the minority, but I think he's a good coach, and WAS a brilliant offensive mind.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
He sure must have burned some bridges. I may be in the minority, but I think he's a good coach, and WAS a brilliant offensive mind.
I know a lot of people say that, but his offense in Baltimore was just brutal. They won the superbowl because of Lewis and that defense, not because of his great offense. I won't take that away from him, but I always thought he was a bit overrated.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
I know a lot of people say that, but his offense in Baltimore was just brutal. They won the superbowl because of Lewis and that defense, not because of his great offense. I won't take that away from him, but I always thought he was a bit overrated.

The one thing in that interview that really stuck out was the offense did not lose those games with him at the helm. Meaning that he got as much as he could with the personnel. That is one thing we lacked. That is why I think we should keep McD for one more year and get assistants that can prepare those players.

Just my two cents

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
When he was an OC only, he was brilliant. He never had a decent QB, why, who knows, but he must have thought he could get by without one.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
When he was an OC only, he was brilliant. He never had a decent QB, why, who knows, but he must have thought he could get by without one.

I just don't think he has the temperament to lead a team from the front. I really hope we don't go his direction as a HC. Coordinator? Maybe.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
BB has been out of coaching FAR too long now. I mean seriously , hasn't been over 10 years by now ? The Vermeil "comeback to coaching" after years away ain't gonna happen again. The game/rules are changing too much nowadays. Trying to jump back into coaching after being gone even 5 years is like a lifetime now.

Running your mouth in the booth is not enough to keep your coaching skills up to date.

PASS

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Selassie I said:
BB has been out of coaching FAR too long now. I mean seriously , hasn't been over 10 years by now ? The Vermeil "comeback to coaching" after years away ain't gonna happen again. The game/rules are changing too much nowadays. Trying to jump back into coaching after being gone even 5 years is like a lifetime now.

Running your mouth in the booth is not enough to keep your coaching skills up to date.

PASS

Try 4 seasons

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
ljramsfan said:
Selassie I said:

PASS

Try 4 seasons

Wow... LOL
I thought BB had been out much longer then that.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Selassie I said:
ljramsfan said:
Selassie I said:

PASS

Try 4 seasons

Wow... LOL
I thought BB had been out much longer then that.

LOL..John Harbaugh took over the team in 2008.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
So I just looked up BB to refresh my failing memory....

He was fired on 12-31-07 along with the rest of his staff that included Rex Ryan ....

Off to the side of the article I read had a little bubble stating -

INFAMOUS WORDS by Len Pasquarelli
"Brian Billick claimed that he knew QBs , but he spent 9 seasons as Baltimore's HC proving exactly the opposite." :whoa:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
$ After being named the offensive coordinator of Utah State University, Billick improved the second-worst offense in Division I-A into a top-10 offense in only three seasons (1986–1988).

$ The Vikings made the playoffs during six of the seven seasons (1992–1998) that Billick spent with the team, and set several offensive records in the process. In 1998, Minnesota set a then-NFL record for most points scored in a season (556) (which has since been broken by the 2007 Patriots), and set a team record with 41 touchdown passes. His work under Minnesota head coach Dennis Green put Billick in the Bill Walsh coaching tree.

$ Billick became the second coach in Baltimore Ravens history on January 19, 1999, when he was hired to replace Ted Marchibroda. He had a 85–67 record in nine seasons (1999–2007) with the team, including 5–3 in the playoffs.

$ In his first season with the Ravens, Billick led the team to its first non-losing record (8–8) in the franchise's brief four-year history.

$ The next season, Baltimore finished with a 12–4 record and earned its first playoff berth. Prior to reaching the playoffs, Billick forbade his players from using either the term "playoffs" or the term "Super Bowl," with the idea of keeping them focused on winning each game instead of on their more distant prize. Billick felt this approach would help them reach that prize, and went so far as to fine Tony Siragusa for violating this rule. In response, the players borrowed the term "Festivus" from the television series Seinfeld for the playoffs, and the term Festivus Maximus for the Super Bowl. When they reached the playoffs, Billick lifted this ban. The Ravens took advantage of their vaunted defense, which allowed an NFL record-low 165 points in the regular season (for a point differential of 168; the Ravens also led the league in turnover differential at plus-23), during the playoffs to advance to Super Bowl XXXV against the New York Giants. It was a blowout 34-7 victory, giving Billick his first (and so far only) Super Bowl.

$ The Ravens missed the playoffs in 2004 (9–7) and 2005 (6–10) before bouncing back in the 2006 season. Billick fired offensive coordinator Jim Fassel on October 17, 2006, assuming the role for the remainder of the season, as the Ravens earned a franchise best 13–3 record, won the AFC North and earned the first playoff bye in team history.

Man, he did all this without a good QB. Give the man some props, or don't, but to just write him off.... He has a record of completely turning teams around. That shit doesn't happen by accident.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Man. He did all that without a good QB.
Imagine what he could do w/ Sam Bradford(and some playmakers).
Just sayin'.
Always thought he was a good coach.

GO RAMS!!!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
Man, he did all this without a good QB. Give the man some props, or don't, but to just write him off.... He has a record of completely turning teams around. That shit doesn't happen by accident.

I'll give him props for what he's done but he also took advantage of a pretty stellar defense which I'm not so sure you can give him a lot of credit for. My main problem with the guy is that he is psycho and snaps at some pretty weird times. I think he was extremely fortunate to have that defense. I really don't want to have to watch him doing post game interviews for MY team. I realize winning cures almost all of that but the guy is a first class jerk off.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
I'm a fan of Billick's also. He has a tremendous track record. In the interview, it sounds like he's willing to do whatever it takes to succeed including adapting a more offensive approach than in Baltimore to compete with the offensive juggernaut teams that didn't exist during his period of great success (other than GSOT). He was a good coach and is willing to get better, not sticking to some written in stone blueprint from who knows when. He has an offensive background, yet will never underestimate the importance of a stout defense although he was pretty fortunate to have a great one in Baltimore. I think he's intelligent enough to not be stubborn, yet keep a lot of what his success came from. I would support that move as well although it doesn't seem that the Rams have interest at this point. That could also be part of the wooing Fisher poker hand process to not involve another big name publicly.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:

I'll give him props for what he's done but he also took advantage of a pretty stellar defense which I'm not so sure you can give him a lot of credit for. My main problem with the guy is that he is psycho and snaps at some pretty weird times. I think he was extremely fortunate to have that defense. I really don't want to have to watch him doing post game interviews for MY team. I realize winning cures almost all of that but the guy is a first class jerk off.
Man you're cranky, everything OK? :ww: I don't think you have to worry, he's not on the Rams radar.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Say... he came here. I wonder if he'd bring Nolan with him now that he's cleared his office out in Miami? Sorry RF503, had to suggest it. :hehe:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:

Man you're cranky, everything OK? :ww: I don't think you have to worry, he's not on the Rams radar.

DON'T CALL ME CRANKY!!!

Naw man - I'm ok. Guess I'm pretty far from a Billick fan. I'm just worried that the Rams are going to bring in either him, Norv, or Phillips - my top three "just say no" candidates (see - pantloads).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:

DON'T CALL ME CRANKY!!!

Naw man - I'm ok. Guess I'm pretty far from a Billick fan. I'm just worried that the Rams are going to bring in either him, Norv, or Phillips - my top three "just say no" candidates (see - pantloads).
I love your passion man. Glad you could tell I was joking.