Brian Allen opens up about difficult injury rehab, bout with COVID-19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Brian Allen opens up about difficult injury rehab, bout with COVID-19

The Rams’ offensive line was decimated by injuries last season, losing three starters at various parts in the year. Joe Noteboom and Brian Allen both suffered knee injuries and were forced to miss the rest of the season thereafter.

Noteboom is back on the practice field and feeling completely healthy, but Allen’s recovery has been much slower. In addition to coming back from the knee issue, Allen also had a battle with COVID-19 that he had to overcome, which delayed his return from injury.

On Friday, Allen opened up about his grueling rehab and bout with the coronavirus – he was the first NFL player to reveal he tested positive – and it doesn’t sound pleasant in the least bit. He was stuck at home while the teammates he lives with went to practice and the facility, leaving him alone for extended periods of time.

“So, me and Joe Noteboom had surgery on the same day. But with my injury, I tore my MCL, my meniscus and part of my tibia I fractured. For the healing process, I had to be non-weight-bearing for so long for my MCL and meniscus. But for stuff to start healing, I had to start walking, getting weight down. For the first month, I couldn’t even walk,” he said. “It really delays the healing process, as far as getting back and getting healthy. It made things take a little longer. As far as being out, one week I’m getting ready to play and then the next week, I’m not going to play until next year. That mentally was tough. You’re alone a lot. I live with guys on the team, so they’re going to practice, I’m sitting at home. My mom came and stayed with me for a couple weeks just to get me on my feet. But when she left, I’m alone all day. I come to rehab, I go home and just sitting on my couch, can’t walk. That was a tough time, but it’s going to make me better in the end.

The timing of his COVID diagnosis was certainly not ideal, either. He was at an important point in his rehab process, but because he tested positive for the virus, he wasn’t able to spend any time in the team facility working back to full strength.

That delayed things by about a month, which has impacted him this summer.

“As far as the COVID, that happened at an unfortunate time just because I was in a pretty critical part of rehab,” Allen said. “I had just started running and getting my strength back. I couldn’t come in the facility for three weeks. So, I was just at home. I think not having that setback, I’d be a full-go right now. But having that month push back from that, complicated things.”

As of now, it seems Allen will be the backup center to Austin Blythe, who has been working with the first-team offense all camp. Whether that’s because of Allen’s recovery or simply his performance isn’t exactly clear, but it’s simply an unfortunate situation all around for the third-year center.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bummer for him. But you gotta be available. Dude is playing for a roster spot so hope he can show some growth particularly in his pass pro technique.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bummer for him. But you gotta be available. Dude is playing for a roster spot so hope he can show some growth particularly in his pass pro technique.
Jeremiah Kolone has worked himself into the team #2 center position most of us thought Brian Allen would be at this time. It might be best that Allen get PUP'd when the regular season begins to give Allen more time to get himself physically prepared better.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Seen any discussions on Joseph Noteboom's back up thus far in TC? :unsure:The ever-changing & still under development #2 OL team unit at this time has a few surprises::shock:

*Bobby Evans appears to be the main Andrew Whitworth's reliever & top back up @ LT. Sure looks like that Evans has a good chance to lock up a 6th or 7th OL position in 2020. This is a good example of those 7 starts & battles @ OT has given him an edge over the rest of the OL'ers. I still remain cautious & think his pass blocking mechanics is still in need of a major upgrade.:cautious:

*Reserve Jamil Demby in his 3rd TC, has been getting most of his work @ RG but has been working on his versatility enough to where Kromer is getting him snaps @ LT & RT at the SoFI Stadium event. Honestly seeing Demby giving Edwards a good fight @ RG was not expected. I really thought his time as a Ram would have run out by now.

*Last season main starter @ both OG positions David Edwards has lost his starting OG gig. Not hearing anything on this...:bueller: Best I can make out is Edwards is still getting work @ both OG posts but a new twist was he getting snaps @ RT SoFI event.

*Rookie OG Tremayne Anchrum was the #2 team LG behind Noteboom during the SoFi event. We have seen Anchrum in many videos in TC of this rookie matching up against Aaron Donald (who normally lines up usually on that right DL side facing the LG in many practices).

* Jeremiah Kolone selected to be the #2 team center behind Blythe in the SoFI event. Heard anything on Coleman Shelton & Cohl Cabral? We have seen articles on Brian Allen's ongoing issue though.

Does any member here have any additional information on the subject mater I have listed above?