Breaking down Rams QB Nick Foles' contract extension/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Breaking down Rams quarterback Nick Foles' contract extension
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ams-quarterback-nick-foles-contract-extension

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The numbers are in on quarterback Nick Foles' two-year contract extension with the St. Louis Rams.

As expected, the deal will pay him almost $14 million guaranteed. The exact amount of guaranteed money is $13,792,000 and includes a $3 million signing bonus, a fully guaranteed base salary this season of $1,042,500 and a $2 million roster bonus to be paid on Sept. 1.

There are also $4.5 million in not likely to be earned incentives available based on going to the Pro Bowl, playoff appearances and wins. His cap number for 2014 has gone up from just over $1 million to just over $4 million.

Here's the breakdown of the deal, with all numbers courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information:

Base salary: $1,042,500 (fully guaranteed)

Roster bonus: $2 million (fully guaranteed, paid on Sept. 1)

Workout bonus: $26,240

Signing bonus proration: $1 million

Cap number: $4,068,240

Cash amount: $6,068,240

Base salary: $1,750,000 (guaranteed for injury at signing, becomes fully guaranteed on fifth day of next league year)

Roster bonus: $6 million (fully guaranteed, paid out on third day of league year)

Cap number: $8,750,000

Cash amount: $7,750,000

2017 (Voidable based on performance)

Base salary: $10,750,000

Roster bonus: $1,500,000 (paid out on third day of league year)

Cap number: $13,250,000

Cash amount: $12,250,000

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So only $1 million of dead money if he sucks and they cut him after 2016. Otherwise a very liveable in this day and age of $13 million + cap hit in 2017.

Since he would have had to be epically bad to be cut after this season, the Rams are well protected. While Foles gets enough money to live on for the rest of his life, if he invests properly and lives on a budget. Win-win, as the best contracts are.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Looks good, particularly next season where we need the room for others.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Numbers wise it's a good contract the part I don't like is it can be voided if he makes the pro bowl.If I understand correctly he can have a great year and basically void the deal leaving us with no Qb is this right.So if this is correct why would snead offer or accept this stipulation in the contract.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Numbers wise it's a good contract the part I don't like is it can be voided if he makes the pro bowl.If I understand correctly he can have a great year and basically void the deal leaving us with no Qb is this right.So if this is correct why would snead offer or accept this stipulation in the contract.

It was offered and accepted by the Rams because it was necessary to get Foles to accept an otherwise below market contract for a starting QB, with lower than usual guarantees for Foles. The market for starting QBs has exploded over the past couple of seasons.

If he's a Pro Bowler, the Rams will Franchise him and negotiate a long term contract.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

he can only void the 2017 season. let's hope he triggers that because it means he played very well. it will be up to rams then if they want to pay market value. a good contract for the rams.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
he can only void the 2017 season. let's hope he triggers that because it means he played very well. it will be up to rams then if they want to pay market value. a good contract for the rams.

OK even if its only the 2017 season that can be voided that still doesn't sit well with me.They extend him what could be only 1 year then we would be at the mercy of some money hungry agent. When we could of just had him for 3 years at a modest salary not good business imho.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
It was offered and accepted by the Rams because it was necessary to get Foles to accept an otherwise below market contract for a starting QB, with lower than usual guarantees for Foles. The market for starting QBs has exploded over the past couple of seasons.

If he's a Pro Bowler, the Rams will Franchise him and negotiate a long term contract.
I get the why they did it just don't agree with it. Foles is still young enough that he could've been signed for those 2years and still had time for a bigger long term contract.Agents forever ruined this game and need to go away.

FRO

Legend
I wasn't for locking up Foles long term, but this contract makes sense for us. I was worried we were going to give him some huge long term deal. I can live with this and do hope he plays well enough to opt out in 2017.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
If they had to extend him before the season, I like the way they did it. You're basically only committing to 2016, which still gives you the ability to draft a first rounder even next year if he isn't that great.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
There are also $4.5 million in not likely to be earned incentives available based on going to the Pro Bowl, playoff appearances and wins.
Ouch!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This contract serves as a bridge for the Rams to coach up the next great NFL QB.....Sean Mannion!!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Basically, anything incentives that wouldn't have been hit in 2014 count as not likely to be earned for 2015 for cap purposes. And yeah, the Rams somehow missed the playoffs in 2014.