Brazilian legend Pelé has passed away at 82

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Man... it's strange that I just posted a pic of the soccer ball he signed for me only a week ago and this happens. I had no idea that he was even ill until yesterday.

For most of you who probably never look over at the soccer thread, here's a pic of the ball he signed for me...

20221215_192314.jpg

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man... it's strange that I just posted a pic of the soccer ball he signed for me only a week ago and this happens. I had no idea that he was even ill until yesterday.

For most of you who probably never look over at the soccer thread, here's a pic of the ball he signed for me...

View attachment 58096

Might be worth a few more quid now.

RIP

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Back in the 70's, there were 3 people that were superheroes.
Evil Knievel, Mohammed Ali and Pele.

Every kid I knew, loved and emulated these guys.

Late edit:
Make that 4.
Bruce Lee was among them as well.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Back in the 70's, there were 3 people that were superheroes.
Evil Knievel, Mohammed Ali and Pele.

Every kid I knew, loved and emulated these guys.
In the 70's I knew he was the best soccer player in the world, but I never saw soccer on TV. If it wasn't USC , UCLA, Lakers, Rams, Dodgers or sometimes Bowling-For-Dollars with Chick Hearn, I didn't see it.
RIP Pele.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
In my opinion Pele is the GOAT, with Messi not far behind.

Saw a highlight video recently (don't know the link) showing Pele doing moves that were later made famous by others-- like the Cruyff turn, and some dribbling moves by the great Brazilians Ronaldo and Ronaldinho. Bicycle kicks, rainbows-- you name it, Pele did it. The guy was WAY ahead of his time. IMHO the 2 reasons he isn't revered even more is: (a) recency bias and (b) the poor quality of highlight reels from the 50s and 60s.

Pele was just the DOMINANT player of his time, no one came even remotely close. RIP

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've never been a soccer fan but Pele was THE guy. RIP to the one who even made me notice soccer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If you played soccer, like me, you attempted this kick 100’s of times.

You probably even said out loud “Pele” after every attempt.

I know I did.

pele-bicycle-kick-1443839452-800.jpg

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Saw him play live at Aloha Stadium back in April 1977. Dad took me and my 2 sisters to watch Team Hawaii play the Cosmos.

Yeah we wanted the home team to pull off a miracle but wanted to see Pele do his thing too. NY won 2-1.

2 things I remember about that night.

Hawaii's goalie (Peter Fox) ran out to Pele during an early play and used his body to knock the ball away. Great play. But the Cosmos were just too good.

Also during halftime the stadium crew tossed soccer balls from the field to the audience. My sister just about reached up and caught one, but a shorter kid came running out of nowhere, jumped in front of her and caught it and scurried away.

Fun memories. RIP Pele... legend. :trophy:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Saw him play live at Aloha Stadium back in April 1977. Dad took me and my 2 sisters to watch Team Hawaii play the Cosmos.

Yeah we wanted the home team to pull off a miracle but wanted to see Pele do his thing too. NY won 2-1.

2 things I remember about that night.

Hawaii's goalie (Peter Fox) ran out to Pele during an early play and used his body to knock the ball away. Great play. But the Cosmos were just too good.

Also during halftime the stadium crew tossed soccer balls from the field to the audience. My sister just about reached up and caught one, but a shorter kid came running out of nowhere, jumped in front of her and caught it and scurried away.

Fun memories. RIP Pele... legend. :trophy:

Aloha stadium?

If so... that was a fun atmosphere back then. I went a couple of Pro Bowls there way back in the day.