Brandon Thomas tears ACL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Brandon Thomas tears ACL
Updated: April 7, 2014, 9:30 PM ET
By Adam Caplan | ESPN

Former Clemson guard Brandon Thomas, who is rated as one of the top interior offensive linemen available in this year's draft, suffered a torn ACL while working out last week, a league source said.

Thomas (6-foot-3, 317 pounds) is coming off an outstanding set of practices during the Senior Bowl and was seen as a probable second- or third-round pick before suffering his injury, according to NFL personnel sources.

He already had six pre-draft visits in recent weeks.

Thomas is ranked by ESPN's Scouts Inc. as the third-best guard available in May's draft.

Thats sucks. I know he was on the Rams radar too. Wonder how far he falls now. Might go undrafted.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I doubt that, a compensatory pick at the least

Re: Might go undrafted

iced

I doubt that, a compensatory pick at the least
that's what i mean.. late 6th or 7th depending on the severity of the tear.

Plenty of players have torn their ACL and still been drafted - as long as they were one of the top players at their position.. I mean look at that Running back that the niners got in the 4th

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
that's what i mean.. late 6th or 7th depending on the severity of the tear.

Plenty of players have torn their ACL and still been drafted - as long as they were one of the top players at their position.. I mean look at that Running back that the niners got in the 4th
Yeah someone will take a flyer if he's that good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd spend a 5th on him. Would have taken him in the 2nd before the injury.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
@jrry32 or anyone else who has an opinion, where would you select James Hurst, OT UNC? I'm sure you know but he was tabbed as a 1st round talent before breaking his leg in The Belk Bowl (talk about addint insult to injury...)

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
ACL recovery is all about strengthening and mobility. Mobility in a OL is different than one of the so called skill positions. A torn ACL alone doesn't make you injury prone, in all the years I played sports and after the only major injury I have had other than breaks is the torn ACL. The ACL tear is sometimes just a freak thing.
Real bummer for that kid though I feel for him, there he is working out not on a jet ski or motorcycle but working out and he costs himself dollars. Very sad

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 or anyone else who has an opinion, where would you select James Hurst, OT UNC? I'm sure you know but he was tabbed as a 1st round talent before breaking his leg in The Belk Bowl (talk about addint insult to injury...)

I didn't really see Hurst as a 1st rounder. Saw him as more of a 2nd to 3rd round type. I'd say somewhere in the 5th as well. I like Thomas more, though.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
38th pick of the 6th round maybe now.

fearsomefour

Legend
That is a bummer for the kid. Cost him some money for sure. I really like him. I like him more than the kid from UCLA or even Gabe Jackson.
I would go as high as 4th round depending on what happens before that round.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Ryan Tucker and Incogs hurt themselves during their workouts and missed their rookie years; after that they didn't have really any major knee/leg problems that I knw of....I would take this guy in the late 4th (trade a 5th and two 6ths)

Alan

Legend
SteveBrown thinking large:
I would take this guy in the late 4th (trade a 5th and two 6ths)
We don't have two 6ths to trade. One of them is compensatory and thus untradeable.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Ryan Tucker and Incogs hurt themselves during their workouts and missed their rookie years; after that they didn't have really any major knee/leg problems that I knw of....I would take this guy in the late 4th (trade a 5th and two 6ths)

We have 12 picks and will add a couple more if the trade down happens as per rumour. So I agree w/ Steve be aggressive and trade back up to the bottom of round 4 to Draft him.. Let's red shirt him

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would sure be looking to secure this OL'er with that 6th comp selection. Rams could afford to use that pick on a future Ram OLG.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is bad for Brandon but could be good for the Rams. If the Rams take Matthews or Robinson either probably plays the Guard position opposite of Saffold. They don't move to tackle until/if Barksdale walks or Long gets cut. Taking either eliminates the immediate need for a Guard. So getting Thomas in a later round than expected would be a windfall and there would not be any urgency to get him on the field.

I don't usual like injured picks, in fact I hated the Barrett Jones pick but I would have no problem with Brandon, and Aaron Murray this year.