Brandon Browner Reinstated - Now A Free Agent

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
Interesting he's being reinstated immediately before free agency.

It's risky.. but should the Rams offer him a deal? Great player with size... I wouldn't be opposed to it honestly.

jjab360

Legend
I would be more excited if he wasn't going to be 30 before the start of next season. Guy's a stud though, Quick should still be embarrassed about how he got manhandled on the goal line on the last play against Seattle.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Grab him. He would have a chip on his shoulder when it came to he Seahawks. Sherman the hypocrite bad mouthed him to the whole team, for putting himself above the team and not being a team player.

Heck, I would even put him at WR for a few plays whenever the Rams play Seattle. Revenge would be sweet for both, him and Rams fans.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The dude is too much of a risk IMO. Sure, he is big with above average talent and possibly full of information about the Seahawks defensive schemes but he is also old, not very fast, likely expensive, and has been nailed for substance abuse. I understand that Browner needed to gain a competitive edge but how will he perform if he has to now lay off the drugs? Will it noticeably affect his game? If we pay him and he is caught using PEDs again, he just hurts our wallet.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't know, man. He wouldn't come here for cheap.

He wasn't making much to begin with, less than a million I think. Plus he is gone for a year maybe longer if he fails another test so I don't think anyone is going to throw big money at him because of the risk.

I'd bet they would welcome him back to SEA though.

Alan

Legend
I'm not a fan of signing anybody that old unless it's at a position of dire need and it's a very short cheap deal. I'd much rather try and get a young guy up to speed.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He wasn't making much to begin with, less than a million I think. Plus he is gone for a year maybe longer if he fails another test so I don't think anyone is going to throw big money at him because of the risk.

I'd bet they would welcome him back to SEA though.
Yeah I say he'll be back in SEA.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Let me guess... he got off on a technicality ?

It was more of a mutual agreement to let him back in.

He's going to have to walk the straight and narrow because the third strike means bye bye forever at his age.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Report: Brandon Browner to be suspended at start of 2014 season
Posted by Josh Alper on March 5, 2014

brandon-browner.jpg
AP

Tuesday brought news of cornerbackBrandon Browner’s reinstatement by the league after he served more than two months of a one-year suspension handed down late last year.

That reinstatement came after Browner’s attorney said his client would be suing the league in federal court to challenge the length of the suspension, but a report from Adam Schefter of ESPN indicates that Browner didn’t get off with no strings attached. Schefter reports that Browner will be suspended “for some length of time” at the start of the 2014 season as part of the agreement to reinstate him.

Browner’s challenge to the suspension was centered on the fact that the violations putting him in Stage 3 of the league’s drug program occurred when he was playing in the CFL. It would seem to make sense that any coming suspension would be of the four-game variety faced by players in Stage 2 of the program.

Browner will be trying to sell himself to teams when free agency opens next week and anyone interested in signing him will certainly want to know when he’ll be available to get on the field in the regular season. He will be able to participate in offseason work, training camp and the preseason with a new team if suspended for the start of the season, however.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Browner is reinstated with four-game suspension
Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2014

vernondavissea-e1350651587796.jpg
AP

As Seahawks cornerback Brandon Brownerannounced last night, he has been reinstated by the NFL. But he left out one fairly significant caveat.

He’ll be suspended for the first four games of the 2014 regular season, and he’ll pay a four-game fine on top of that.

The NFL and the NFLPA jointly announced the negotiated compromise, which staved off litigation that would have challenged the league’s decision to discipline Browner for missing drug tests while he wasn’t playing in the NFL — and that would have highlighted the NFLPA’s alleged failure to notify him of the penalties that were piling up while he played in the CFL.

“The NFL and NFL Players Association have agreed to conditionally reinstate Brandon Browner from his indefinite suspension under the Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse,” the joint statement reads. “Browner was suspended without pay for the Seattle Seahawks’ final five games of the 2013 season, including the playoffs. His contract with the Seahawks expires at the end of the 2013 League Year on March 11. He will be eligible to sign with a club and participate in offseason and preseason activities. Should he comply with the terms of the Substance Abuse Policy and Program, he will be fully reinstated after serving a four-game suspension without pay at the start of the 2014 regular season and forfeiting an additional four weeks of pay.”

It’s a huge win for Browner, who otherwise would have been unable to participate in any offseason or preseason activities, making him essentially a pariah until December 2014, at the earliest. Now, he can sign with a team, show up for the offseason program, attend training camp, and play in the preseason.

As explained during Wednesday’s PFT Live, teams aren’t all that bothered by a four-game suspension to start the season, since it allows them to carry an extra player on the roster for the first month of the season, delaying by four games the decision regarding the last man out the door as the roster plunges from up to 90 to 53.

Browner presumably will be placed in Stage Three of the substance-abuse program, which means that one more violation will once again result in an indefinite suspension. If that happens again, it’ll be far less likely that he negotiates a better deal.