Brandin Cooks to Rams for a 1st: blockbuster

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Surfdog67

UDFA
Love this move...Absolutely. love. it! They wanted a speed guy to stretch the field and take the heat off our other receivers/TE's? Well, this does it. Oh and BTW, he's a thousand yard receiver 3 seasons in a row.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I understand and I posed another question. Why couldn't we sign him to a new contract next year, with the amount of Cap Space we have (A lot more than we had when we had Watkins).

At what cost? 12m? I would rather Watkins at 16m. I don’t hate the player, just the trade. Cooks is not worth a 1st when he is only signed for next year. That in itself devalues him to a 2nd at best. Personally after last year I think he is worth a 4th. This is a bad trade for us, Brandin Cooks is not a 1st round value.
This smells of a panic move.

nighttrain

Legend
First move they've made I'm not a fan of.

Frankly getting a little sick and tired of these back end of rookie contract deals. Rams just got smoked on the Watkins front essentially giving up a second rounder for a less than stellar year and then seeing him walk. Now chasing good money after bad and doubling down for Cooks who is in the SAME position as Watkins. Meanwhile, outside of free agents, the Rams haven't shown any ability to lock up their own guys on long term deals unless it's for a player they don't want like Ogletree. They can't just franchise guys every year.

The next three off seasons Rams are looking at FAs Donald/Cooks, then Gurley/Peters, then Goff and that is with 3 free agent O-lineman next year and Joyner without a long term deal.

Draft choices matter. You have to trust your scouting department. They better find some guys in rounds 3 and 4.
This is the only off season for for McVay/Snead in the history with the Rams

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Well the Rams still have a couple 6th draft picks left , and the Draft isn't for three more weeks

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Ummm ... I actually think it's more like, "you have two seconds to throw, and we have a top, if not THE top, secondary in the league. Good luck."

We can grab filler for the linebackers, and have improved everywhere else. The top scoring offense in the NFL will be better with experience (Goff, Kupp, Everett all can be expected to still improve), and we replaced a talented guy (Watkins) with another talented guy (Cooks).

We can debate the cost (wish we had a second to have given away instead), but I don't think we can debate the overall result for this year: a better team across the board than last year, with a weaker linebacking core, that can still be addressed by using fifteen fourth round picks and twelve sixth rounders.

There is a window and McSnead are going for it.
If you look at most of the linebackers Wade had in Denver, they were later round guys that were coached up. Now, the Broncos had a Von Miller, which the Rams definitely don't have, but I'm guessing Phillips can create pressure with what he has.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
He will be at least as productive as Watkins was last year. As long as KD gets AD and Joyner both signed to long term contracts the Rams will be able to tag Cooks if they need to. He is still cheap and doesnt bring any media circus crap.

And if it doesnt work out, its only a 1st rd pick, we have plenty of 4th and 6th rd picks.

He's also from Stockton, can never have too many players from Stockton.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
First move they've made I'm not a fan of.

Frankly getting a little sick and tired of these back end of rookie contract deals. Rams just got smoked on the Watkins front essentially giving up a second rounder for a less than stellar year and then seeing him walk. Now chasing good money after bad and doubling down for Cooks who is in the SAME position as Watkins. Meanwhile, outside of free agents, the Rams haven't shown any ability to lock up their own guys on long term deals unless it's for a player they don't want like Ogletree. They can't just franchise guys every year.

The next three off seasons Rams are looking at FAs Donald/Cooks, then Gurley/Peters, then Goff and that is with 3 free agent O-lineman next year and Joyner without a long term deal.

Draft choices matter. You have to trust your scouting department. They better find some guys in rounds 3 and 4.

Would you have given up a second round pick for a third round pick plus Sammy? Because that’s basically what happened in that trade.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
Why are people forgetting we did get a 3rd round comp pick from Sammy, so we didn't just lose a 2nd for nothing .

I like this trade alot and hope we resign him .I was worried that the offense could take a hit, but now I think we'll be even better than last year .

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
BCooks is going to be fun to watch. Rams trying to win that hardware THIS year.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
972B6066-C0C0-4BB3-8430-2E9FFFC1A5B5.gif

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Why are people forgetting we did get a 3rd round comp pick from Sammy, so we didn't just lose a 2nd for nothing .

I like this trade alot and hope we resign him .I was worried that the offense could take a hit, but now I think we'll be even better than last year .

Because with 100M in cap space if we spend that on another FA next year for similar dollars we lose that comp pick.

That’s my understanding, but I could have that mixed up

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Give up the #23 pick in the draft for a PROVEN top tier WR? ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY!!!!!! We've all seen a helluva lot of 1st round pick misses. I think we will have a plan to keep him after the one year. Worst case scenario...tag him. Our offense just got a lot better. Losing Sammy and not replacing him ran the risk of our Offense regressing a bit IMO. Now...the O will grow and improve and the D will be MUCH better! As far as LB? This draft is pretty damn flush with LB talent.