Bradford was unfazed by Manziel draft rumors/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Bradford was unfazed by Manziel draft rumors

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_8207e8de-9ff1-5d33-b433-d2ed55b3a0a4.html

Unlike many who came down with Johnny Football fever, quarterback Sam Bradford never took the bait. He knew better, based on first-hand information from two impeccably reliable sources — the Rams’ general manager and head coach.

“(From) the end of last year, I was in communication with Les (Snead) and Jeff (Fisher), and they made it very clear what their plan was,” Bradford said, in his first comments to reporters since the draft. “Throughout the offseason, they continued to make that clear. So I knew what my position on this team was.”

So when all the rumors of the Rams being interested in picking Johnny Manziel started flying a couple of weeks before the draft, Bradford was able to shrug them off.

“Like I said, I had been in pretty good communication with Les and Jeff, and they had made it pretty clear what their intention was, so I really wasn’t too worried,” Bradford said. “I pretty much knew what was gonna happen.”

So when Fisher told a packed house of season-ticket holders on the night before the draft that “Sam’s our guy” — with Bradford standing right next to him — there was no sigh of relief, no lump in the throat, no misty eyes by the quarterback. The moment had no special meaning to Bradford because he had known the support was there all along.

“But it’s always nice to hear those things,” Bradford said.

Manziel obviously didn’t end up with the Rams. In fact, the team didn’t take a quarterback until Round 6, when it selected Southern Methodist’s Garrett Gilbert at No. 214 overall.

And Bradford is back on the practice field, although there wasn’t much to see Thursday at Rams Park.

Other than taking part in a couple of walk-through periods, throwing a handful of passes flat-footed, Bradford watched. And watched some more.

“You’ll be able to see him (today),” Fisher said following the team’s second organized team activities practice of the spring but the first open to the media. “We’re gonna have him participate in about half the OTAs.”

That would be five practices. Bradford took part in one seven-on-seven passing period on Tuesday, the first OTA session of the offseason. Today, he will take part in two seven-on-seven sessions.

“He looks really good,” Fisher said. “He’s throwing the ball well. We think it’s smart to keep him out of traffic right now in the ‘team’ stuff. But he’s doing well.”

That means Bradford won’t take part in any 11-on-11 sessions, in which there are pass rushers at least in the neighborhood. Granted, there is no contact allowed with the quarterback under any practice scenario, be it OTAs, training camp, or the regular season. But why risk an unnecessary accident?

“He’s moving around great,” Fisher said. “We’ve got a ‘pitch count’ on him — not only his arm but his drops. He’s doing all the drops and his footwork’s really good.”

Bradford met with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer a few weeks ago to map out a participation plan for the OTAs.

“We kind of looked at the different OTAs, and what’s going on in each OTA, and what we felt was most important,” Bradford said. “The ones that he thought I needed to be a part of and I thought I needed to be a part of.”

So as the Rams install their offense, an annual rite of spring, what is being done on each particular day was factored into the equation. As he heads down the stretch of his rehab from knee surgery last fall, Bradford has missed some work with a young receivers corps that also includes newcomer Kenny Britt, a former Tennessee Titan.

“I feel pretty good about where our chemistry is,” Bradford said. “Obviously, it probably has limited the amount of times that we’ve been able to get on the field together. But I think that’s why me and ‘Schotty’ got together a few weeks ago and talked about what we really needed to work on, and making sure that I’m part of those days.”

Bradford says he feels like he can “pretty much do everything” physically, pointing out that he has been doing some straight-line running.

“Everything’s on schedule and I’m feeling good,” he said.

But as is frequently the case during any rehab process, some days are better than others. When asked if he was experiencing any discomfort or swelling in the knee, Bradford replied:

“You know, with anything there’s good days and there’s bad days. Even when you’re healthy, you have good days with your arm or bad days with your arm, and now it’s kind of the same thing with my knee.

“I wake up some days and feel great. Other days I feel like I’ve had an ACL repair. I’ve never gone through it before, but to be honest throughout the process I’ve felt really good and felt better than what I anticipated.”

One byproduct of the knee rehabilitation is that Bradford has noticeably improved his upper-body strength.

“Yes, while he’s been rehabbing, he spent some extra time on the upper body,” Fisher said, adding with a chuckle, “I think he thinks he looks pretty good now.”

The extra muscle up top has had another sidelight, according to Bradford — better arm strength on what already was considered a pretty strong arm.

“I just feel like there’s a little more pop on my ball now,” Bradford said.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Bradford laughs at Manziel from the beginning because it was a joke. ESPN just causes controversy to boost their ratings. Manziel was never honestly considered, I guarantee it.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'd be interested in hearing Kenny Britt's take on Sam after two quick TD's I assume from Sam in that first day of OTA's,God I hope he stays healthy,amend that I hope they stay healthy.

FRO

Legend
Watching the draft must suck for players. You never know when your replacement is being picked. While we were all happy with the Donald pick, I bet Langford and Carrington weren't too happy with it. How you think Jake Long felt about the Robinson pick?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Watching the draft must suck for players. You never know when your replacement is being picked. While we were all happy with the Donald pick, I bet Langford and Carrington weren't too happy with it. How you think Jake Long felt about the Robinson pick?
Long at least must have seen it coming. Even though I was a Watkins guy, and preferred Matthews as 2nd choice, the tea leaves had been reading Robinson for quite a while.

Donald falling to #13 was a surprise and a total case of BPA over need.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

I don't think Jake Long has much to fret. He played like a Pro Bowler last year and I doubt the Rams will have any qualms with playing Robinson at RT beyond next season if Long is healthy.

All Jake Long has to worry about is staying healthy, and that's the case whether Robinson is here or not.

The DT's on the other hand...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'd be interested in hearing Kenny Britt's take on Sam after two quick TD's I assume from Sam in that first day of OTA's,God I hope he stays healthy,amend that I hope they stay healthy.

If you are referring to the 2 TDs in yesterdays practice, they would have come from Shawn Hill. Bradford didn't throw yesterday. But your point is valid,,, if he stays healthy, it could get interesting.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I don't think Jake Long has much to fret. He played like a Pro Bowler last year and I doubt the Rams will have any qualms with playing Robinson at RT beyond next season if Long is healthy.

All Jake Long has to worry about is staying healthy, and that's the case whether Robinson is here or not.

The DT's on the other hand...
I don't know. I still feel that the longer Robinson is guard, the more pressure there's going to be to move him to tackle so that we feel we got the most of the immense draft capital spent on him. The beginnings of the discontent with Jason Smith came because he couldn't make that move to LT and stay there and there was plenty of "We spent a 2nd overall pick on a RIGHT TACKLE!" instead.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I don't think that type of noise bothers this coaching staff.

The previous regime was a little too worried about everything. Had they put Jason Smith at guard sooner, they may have even salvaged what ended up being a complete waste of a pick.

Ramfreak

Why would Sam ever take the bait when Fisher already told him about the rumors Fisher would create? It's a typicL move to try and force Manziel to be taken so that better players would fall. I don't think Fisher imagined both Donald and Martin being available at #13. Especially if someone like Manziel wasn't taken prior to 13. Fisher was so high on both that he takes Donald at 13 and tries to trade back into 1st round to land Martin.