Bradford injury puts Jeff Fisher in unfamiliar situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Ted Bryant
http://cover32.com/rams/2013/10/28/bradford-injury-puts-jeff-fisher-in-unfamiliar-situation/

USATSI_7379689_164063748_lowres-750x256.jpg

Jeff Fisher is in unfamiliar territory.

In his 18th full year as an NFL head coach, Fisher has not once lost a starting quarterback for this length of time. He’s had his share of QB controversies, sure (read: Vince Young), and has had to split time once or twice over the years at the game’s most important position, but St. Louis’ most impressive ‘stache has never gone without his starting quarterback for more than five games due to injury at any point in his coaching career.

With quarterback Sam Bradford headed onto to the operating table in the near future, the Rams are prepared to move forward with career backup Kellen Clemens as their starter. The additions of Austin Davis and Brady Quinn certainly shore up some depth issues at the position, but to think that either option will induce panic among opposing defenses should Clemens not hold up is probably naïve.

All eyes are on Fisher at this point. Can he minimize the loss of Bradford by maximizing the rest of his young talent? Will he be able to rally his team around Clemens or did the image of Bradford being carted off the field last week in Carolina embody this season’s point of no return? On only two other occasions in his career has Fisher had to rely on backup quarterbacks as a result of long(ish)-term injuries. Both seasons came as head coach of the Titans and both yielded vastly different results.

In one of those seasons, as a matter of fact, the injury came early as well and almost derailed what would be a historic season for the franchise. In 1999, a year both Rams and Titans fans remember fondly, Fisher’s emerging fifth-year quarterback, Steve McNair, went down with an inflamed disk after the team’s season-opening 36-35 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. In stepped Neil O’Donnell, a league veteran who had led the Pittsburgh Steelers to the Super Bowl just four years prior. In McNair’s stead, O’Donnell was able to lead the team to a 4-1 record and keep them on track for what would become their most successful season as a franchise. McNair would return in Week 8 and guide the Titans to a remaining 8-2 record, a Music City Miracle, and a berth in one of the most thrilling Super Bowls ever played. Rams fans, I’m guessing you know how that one ended.

*Snaps fingers*

Ok now, come back to Earth with me for a second. While memories of ’99 must be a welcome distraction from the team’s current situation, let’s remember that McNair was able to return healthy for the Titans after just five games and a bye week that season. The Rams, as we all know, do not have that luxury. It’s certainly not out of the question to think that Clemens can steer this team to a few victories as long as they show that they can rally around him, but anything more than that may be a lot to ask of the 30-year-old journeyman.

Getting back to Fisher’s experience in the backup quarterback department, the 2004 season provides another glimpse at his resume. As McNair progressed in his career, his reputation as one of league’s toughest players became almost hyperbolic. However, even McNair couldn’t fight off the effects of a lingering bruised sternum that season. The Titans were looking to build upon a very successful 2003 in which they went 12-4 and reached the AFC Divisional Round before falling to the Patriots 17-14. However, Fisher was forced to start Billy Volek eight times that year, with McNair behind center in the other eight games. The two would trade starts as the season endured, but Volek would be forced to start the final five games and the team would never quite recover. Volek and the Titans stumbled to a 1-4 record over the final five games and finished at 5-11 overall.

Both of these case studies merely act as a small sample size for measuring Fisher’s success with backup quarterbacks as longterm starters. In one season, that stint went unbelievably well. In the other, the experience was largely a forgettable one. What we have here in St. Louis, however, is the first time in 18 years that Fisher doesn’t seem to have any incoming reinforcements on the horizon. McNair came back for a few games late in 2004, but by that point the season was basically a wash.

For the first time, Fisher must work with the quarterback talent on hand for the team’s remaining nine games. I’m even willing to make the argument that, when all is said and done, no other season will be a better pure measurement of Fisher’s coaching ability than this one. Fisher’s Titans teams at least featured other elite offensive skill players such as Eddie George and Derrick Mason to help alleviate some of the pressure resulting from McNair’s few injury spells. This season, however, will ultimately be judged on Fisher’s ability to squeeze every last drop of ability out of his stable of young, relatively unproven talent. Can the Rams take their youthful potential, turn it into on-field production, and salvage a Bradford-less season?

With kickoff against the division-leading Seattle Seahawks and their second-ranked defense in just a matter of hours, we’ll begin to see just how much magic Fisher can work.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
We have nothing to lose. I'd like to see us coach and play like it.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Can Fisher continue to get improvement from his young football team? Oh yes.

Can they pick up they slack? Most definitely.

Can Clemens handle the remainder of the season? Absolutely.

Will they do it tonight against the Seahawks? Probably not.

I'm just trying to be a realist here. People are hanging a lot on this division game, but the truth is that we would have struggled against this team with Sam. I know everyone hates Seattle, but measure not how they play without their starting QB against a defense that will stifle their running game.

That said, I really think we can establish the run against the Titans, Colts and Bears. It's a shame Sam won't get to face them, but we have a chance to be very competitive in these games.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm hoping worst case the rookies develop for a great 2014.

Best case? Sky's the limit.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Put on your big boy pants and bust some ass! No excuses will do in the NFL. It's 'next man up" every week so you have to roll with what ya got!!!!:juiced: MAN UP!!!!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We got the talent around Clemons to be successful. Thing is that's been the line all season. When will the young guys put it together? If they can then we can have a decent finish on the year... maybe more. Thing is teams know we want to put an emphasis on the running game and Clemons will have to throw some bombs to get defenses to back off. That's where I'm worried. Sam was getting pretty comfortable doing that, dang shame.

jap

Legend
I'm hoping worst case the rookies develop for a great 2014.

Best case? Sky's the limit.

That's always a silver lining. The young players get used to adjusting for Kellen and Austin Davis' tosses for the rest of this season. Then in 2014 accurate Sam is back, and the passing game flows almost like a super efficient machine.

They snuck in Sted for a play or two last game. However, he probably won't see much more playing time unless the Horns are eliminated from playoff contention.

The 'Hawks have bid CB's and Kam at SS. We need our big hands, the TE's and Quick, to step it up in the bump & run game. Jared needs to justify the big bucks. Lance needs to continue trying to outplay him. Cory Harkey has to continue pounding the snot outa folks and surprising them with his more than adequate hands. Tavon, Chris, and Pettis gotta be ready to juke those CB's out of their shoes if they try to press them. I hope Zac has eaten his Wheaties because this is gonna be a Battering Ram contest, with the Seattle D trying to punk our OL. I just hope Harvey Dahl and his line mates bring all the fire from the Panthers game and channel it into controlled aggression. Chris Long needs to lead his line mates likewise on the other side of the LOS. I am hoping for a monster game from Chris after that stupid NFL fine. The Mighty Quinn is three sacks away from a double digit sack season. I'm still waiting for my first Jenks' pick-6. I mean, he can't raise our expectations after last season and just leave us hanging now. :razz: Maybe it's time for Cort to show these youngsters how it's done once more. He has to be aching to re-establish himself as a leader on the field.

Even if Benny is well, I wouldn't mind having Tavon available for both return teams tonight. We need to put our best talent in position to make plays. Greg, Johnny, and Jake McQuaide have been outstanding all season and may be key again tonight. Schotty may have to be willing to open some to have a real chance to win.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I wonder what Fisher really thinks about Bradford not being able to play 2 consecutive years going back to his Junior year in college. Fisher has seen so many QBs over the years. How many of them have had an injury record as bad as Bradford's? And how many of those have gone on to become dependable players? I don't know the answers to those questions, but you can bet Fisher does and it will weigh in his decison going forward regarding the future of Rams QB position.

I worry about Bradford's ability to stay healthy and I don't think it's purely by chance that he gets hurt as frequently as he does. I do believe that some player are whackable. By that I mean, they don't seem to able to dodge bullets very well. You can whack them in situations where everyone watching can see it coming and they don't, while other players are very slippery and avoid the whacks, like Wilson. I think Bradford is whackable.

Fisher says Sam is his guy, so maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe Fisher has a contingency plan in his mind for next year. Fisher has so much experience, you have got to defer to his decision on this, either way.