Bracket Spot #7 - Flipper vs Van Brocklin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

More Memorable Moment / Most Impressive?

• 1. Norm Van Brocklin's NFL Record 554 Passing Yards in a Game

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • 2. Flipper Anderson's NFL Record 336 Yards Receiving in a Game

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
vanvsflip.jpg

Willie Anderson -- Coming into twelfth week of the 1989 season, second-year wide receiver Willie "Flipper" Anderson's greatest performance had been a 112-yard output eight weeks earlier. That was all about to change in a big way as Anderson recorded one of the greatest offensive displays in NFL history during the Los Angeles Rams' overtime win against the New Orleans Saints.

With their leading receiver Henry Ellard on the sidelines, the Rams were relying on Anderson to have a heavier presence on offense. He responded by shattering the NFL record for receiving yards in a game. During the afternoon, he caught 15 passes for 336 yards and one touchdown.

Not surprisingly, it was Anderson who put the exclamation point on his amazing afternoon when he hauled in quarterback Jim Everett's pass for a 26-yard gain in overtime. His catch set up the game-winning field goal by kicker Mike Lansford at 6:38 of the sudden death period to give the Rams a 20-17 victory.

******** VS ********

Norm Van Brocklin -- One of the greatest opening day performances came in 1951 when Hall of Fame quarterback Norm Van Brocklin of the Los Angeles Rams threw for a record 554 yards. The mark still stands as the greatest single passing effort in National Football League history.

Van Brocklin received the start that day when veteran Bob Waterfield, also a member of the Hall, was injured. The two quarterbacks were entrenched in a fierce battle for the starting role. The "Dutchman," as Van Brocklin was nicknamed, made the most of his opportunity. He completed 27 of 41 passes and tossed five touchdowns - four of which went to fellow Hall of Famer Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsch - en route to a easy 54-14 win over the New York Yanks.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't know about this one. I might have to go with Flipper; Van Brocklin had a Hall-of-Fame wideout to throw to. I don't think Flipper had a Hall-of-Fame quarterback throwing to him.

I must admit that Van Brocklin's record still standing today is extremely impressive when it's compared to the league today. It's almost inconcievable that a record that old still stands in the pass-first version of the NFL.

I'm going to go with Flipper, though. He didn't even have Henry Ellard to take the pressure off of him.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I'm going with the record that still stands.

Both players got their records because of injuries to teammates.

With all that yardage, Flipper had just one touchdown. That spoke to several drives that fell apart that day.

With all that yardage, Van Brocklin completed just 27 passes. That's 20.5 per completion.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Tough one. Van Brocklin's record is very impressive considering the rule changes over the years to protect the QB and all but Flipper's is the sentimental favorite with me since I watched that game. Hmmm, gotta think on this one.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I watched that game against the aints too.

They call him Flipper ,,, faster than lightening ,,, no one you see, is smarter than he...... I can still sing most of the song from memory (it was my favorite show as a kid)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I know I'll be in the minority again here but I gotta go with VanBrocklin. That record still standing after all these years is flat out amazing. That and any time one of my teams beats the Yankees, I'm good with that.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
For those of you who may not have had the pleasure...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azEOeTX1LqM[/youtube]

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I voted for Flipper because I also watched that game and as impressive as Norm Van Brocklin's game was, 1951 was way before my time.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I voted for Van Brocklin. Flipper's numbers are very impressive, but when you compare it to Van Brocklin throwing 554 yards in that era, I think it's close but not as great. Back then CBs could push WR off their routes, could go after QBs and the running game was much more important. I think in comparison it would be like throwing 700 yards today.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
brokeu91 said:
I voted for Van Brocklin. Flipper's numbers are very impressive, but when you compare it to Van Brocklin throwing 554 yards in that era, I think it's close but not as great. Back then CBs could push WR off their routes, could go after QBs and the running game was much more important. I think in comparison it would be like throwing 700 yards today.

This^^^

Name
Guido
Easy vote for me, Van Brocklin. And damn y'all for mentioning Flipper's name. Argh! I just did it.

:boohoo:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
AsylumGuido said:
Easy vote for me, Van Brocklin. And damn y'all for mentioning Flipper's name. Argh! I just did it.

What.... now Aints fans get a vote? :bummed: Just bustin' your balls Guido. Good to see you still lurking.

Name
Guido
RamFan503 said:
AsylumGuido said:

What.... now Aints fans get a vote? :bummed: Just bustin' your balls Guido. Good to see you still lurking.

Damn straight I get a vote. Especially since my all time favorite player and one of the reasons why I chose to go to NC State was a guy named Roman Gabriel. How about Torry Holt? Another Wolfpacker.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
AsylumGuido said:
RamFan503 said:
AsylumGuido said:

Damn straight I get a vote. Especially since my all time favorite player and one of the reasons why I chose to go to NC State was a guy named Roman Gabriel. How about Torry Holt? Another Wolfpacker.

Cool - got Roman's sig on a picture when I was a kid. Not sure what ever happened to that picture. :bummed: