Boudreau hiring most important for Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
February 7, 2012
http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/02/07/1 ... eedID=8745

586904.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS -- St. Louis team officials believe that new coach Jeff Fisher has assembled the makings of an excellent staff, but that one of the less-hyped additions could perhaps be the biggest key to the progress of quarterback Sam Bradford in his third season in 2012.

Veteran offensive line coach Paul Boudreau perhaps doesn't have the name value of the Rams' new coordinators, Gregg Williams on defense or Brian Schottenheimer on the offensive side, or even assistant head coach Dave McGinnis. But the consensus around the league, in speaking generally to NFL executives and coaches this week, is that Boudreau will provide toughness and discipline to a mostly rag-tag unit short of both attributes.

Boudreau, who was dismissed by Atlanta after four seasons with the club in a major staff makeover by Falcons coach Mike Smith, will rely on right guard Harvey Dahl, one of his former charges with the Falcons, to be a leader in instilling physicality in the blockers. This will mark the second tour of duty for Boudreau in St. Louis, who previously worked two seasons (2006-07) for the Rams.

Boudreau's hiring has yet to be officially announced in St. Louis - in fact, only Williams, Schottenheimer and McGinnis have so far been acknowledged as part of Fisher's staff - but he has already been in team headquarters reviewing tape.

--

Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis looked on intently, listening as Jeff Fisher was introduced as the sixth head coach in the team's 18 seasons (including 2012) in St. Louis.

So did quarterback Sam Bradford, who is still "not quite" healthy yet from the high ankle sprain that sabotaged his 2011 season.

Watching those two players and then hearing them talk after Fisher was finished with his remarks, it was easy to see they can't wait to begin putting the misery of last season totally behind them and starting to prepare for a 2012 year that they are convinced can only bring better things.

Even if, as is the case for Bradford, it will likely be a third offense in three years he will be learning.

Bradford seems as if he is trying to convince himself that doing it twice already will make the third time easier.

"Would I like to be in the same offense that I started in my rookie year going into year three? Yeah, but that's not the case," Bradford said. "I think going through the past two years will make this transition easier. I know what it's like. I know what it was like to learn an offense as a rookie, then last year having to learn (Josh) McDaniels' offense. I think both those experiences will make this easier and I'm looking forward to it."

Mostly, though, Bradford likes what he is hearing from Fisher. Bradford met with the new coach on Jan. 8, four days before Fisher chose the Rams and then Tuesday morning, shortly before the press conference.

As for the first meeting, Bradford was asked if he tried to sell Fisher on coming to St. Louis.

He said, "No. I really just tried to be myself. I wasn't going to be anything other than who I am. I didn't want to give him a false impression of who I was. It was just time for us to meet to learn a little bit more about each other. If that helped along the process and helped get him here then I'm very happy that I was able to do that."

What was music to Bradford's ears was hearing Fisher preach about the importance of protecting the quarterback.

Fisher emphasized that during the press conference and in his talks with Bradford.

Asked his coaching philosophy, Fisher said, "The philosophy is pretty simple: we want to do whatever it takes to win football games. We're going to have a disciplined, tough, physical football team that's going to first and foremost match up and be able to win games in the division. We've got quite a challenge ahead of us to be competitive once again in the division, but it won't take long. It's a team that's going to run the football and protect the quarterback and play good defense and get the ball back."

When Bradford was asked about being excited to play for a coach where the priority is protecting the quarterback, he said, "Absolutely. That's something that he made a point of when I talked to him last week. That's something actually I talked to him about in his office this morning. We were just talking about a couple things and he said whoever he brings in here as the offensive coordinator that will be definitely a top priority. So anytime you can hear that and be reassured of that, it makes my job a lot easier."

The Rams have also hired Brian Schottenheimer as offensive coordinator.

Mostly, everyone is enthused to be heading toward a normal offseason after last year's lockout.

"This year was difficult," Fisher said, when asked his impressions of Bradford. "I think you have to look back at his success and his production in his first year. (Last season was) difficult for a lot of reasons, the lockout and lack of time together in the offense, but I think he has the chance to be a top quarterback in the National Football League very, very soon."

Said Bradford, "Last year was not something I hope I ever go through again. It wasn't fun. Especially this year having a new coach, having to learn a new offense, I'm very grateful that we will have a full offseason spent with that offense."

Noted Laurinaitis, "I'm excited for us to hire a defensive coordinator so as soon as he gets in here I have something to do. I can study a defense and get started. I'm getting bored already."

While it will be a "full" offseason, it will be shorter than years past. New rules in the CBA have delayed the start of offseason programs from mid-March to April and the overall schedule has been reduced in length to no more than nine weeks.

Because the Rams have a new coach, their conditioning program can start April 2 while other teams can't begin until two weeks later. In addition, OTAs, which have started in mid-May in previous years, have been slashed from 14 days of on-field work to 10.

Fisher acknowledged that "it will be a challenge," but concluded, "We'll have plenty of time."

What will be difficult for guys like Laurinaitis is that there can be no organized coaching or even meetings with players and coaches prior to April 2.

When that was mentioned to him, Laurinaitis just broke into a smile, got that twinkle in his eye, and said, "You know me. I'll figure something out."

--

The experience of Jeff Fisher was a big factor in the Rams considering him their first choice to be the new head coach.

Club executive Kevin Demoff said, "I think someone who has been a head coach in the NFL as long as he has has seen everything. There are not a lot of situations that surprise him, and if you are looking for someone with experience, you are looking at someone who has taken a team to the Super Bowl, who has dealt with a disappointing year and who has built a consistent winner. When you look at Jeff's record, his teams were always competitive, they were always in the playoff hunt at the end, and that's something we would like to bring to St. Louis, a winning consistency.

"(The Titans) had some really good years at the same times we did, but they never went through the disappointing times. And they had some difficulties, they had a salary-cap purge, they lost some guys and they went through a period where they had some struggles at the quarterback position, and all through it, they managed to redefine themselves a number of times. That's a great quality in a head coach to be able to win in a number of different ways."

There have been some questions about the fact that Fisher's winning percentage in 16-plus seasons was .538.

By contrast, in the 17 seasons the Rams have been in St. Louis, their winning percentage is .429. Their 15-65 record since 2007 is a .188 percentage.

The Rams hired Dave McGinnis, who coached with Jeff Fisher at Tennessee, as assistant head coach. McGinnis has been a head coach at Arizona.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Veteran offensive line coach Paul Boudreau perhaps doesn't have the name value of the Rams' new coordinators, Gregg Williams on defense or Brian Schottenheimer on the offensive side, or even assistant head coach Dave McGinnis. But the consensus around the league, in speaking generally to NFL executives and coaches this week, is that Boudreau will provide toughness and discipline to a mostly rag-tag unit short of both attributes.

I like this. Discipline has been a major issue for our OL. How many times have drives stalled because of a holding penalty or a false start? Way too many times. I really hope this turns out to be a great hire. I still like the OL Spags and Devaney built. The FAs we signed werent bad players when we signed them. They, along with the OL we drafted, havent progressed. I dont know why. Harvey Dahl was our best player on the OL this season, and Boudreau coached him. That gives me some hope!

Anybody remember what he was like when he coached here before?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
JdashSTL said:

I like this. Discipline has been a major issue for our OL. How many times have drives stalled because of a holding penalty or a false start? Way too many times. I really hope this turns out to be a great hire. I still like the OL Spags and Devaney built. The FAs we signed werent bad players when we signed them. They, along with the OL we drafted, havent progressed. I dont know why. Harvey Dahl was our best player on the OL this season, and Boudreau coached him. That gives me some hope!

Personally I have to wonder how many drives stalled because our O-line simply didn't nut up or understand their assignment or were put in an easily dislodged position or simply out of position or didn't get the whole urgency idea. Sorry but I really don't buy it that our O-line was as bad as it showed up to be over the last 3 - 4 years.

Mind you JDash, I'm not saying you do either or that you are only saying penalties were their problem. I really think that loyalty might have been one of Spags' biggest downfalls. Why do you keep Loney of all people when his O-lines were nothing short of abysmal? Why do you cut young potential for old mediocrity?

Spags did a tremendous job of coaching up. I think his teams by in large played over their heads in many situations. I just think he lacked the big picture you need at his position. I still think he is a great guy and will some day be a very good HC but only after he gets some time and seasoning and he realizes that dead weight is dead weight.

Sorry, I'm a little pissed at Spags right now. I think he had everything he needed to make our team something to be reckoned with minus the back bone. I think he will grow that back bone but I just wish it would have been with the Rams.

Now I just hope we have a coach that retires a Ram after several successful seasons and a HOF career that includes some SB wins.

I also think that Fish will make sure that WHOEVER plays on our O-line will not show the pathetic performance we have witnessed of late.

I was/am a big fan of Spags but I think the one thing he will learn is that he needs to deal with his coaches much the same way he deals with his players. The old axiom comes into play. EVERYONE is a customer. Well... EVERYONE is a player when it comes to the NFL. He is great at dealing with players but he needs to coach his coaches and be their boss as well.

Just my take and I am venting a bit because I liked the guy so much - but there you go. Totally unsolicited BS - cathartic to me - maybe not so much to anyone else.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
RamFan503 said:
JdashSTL said:

Personally I have to wonder how many drives stalled because our O-line simply didn't nut up or understand their assignment or were put in an easily dislodged position or simply out of position or didn't get the whole urgency idea. Sorry but I really don't buy it that our O-line was as bad as it showed up to be over the last 3 - 4 years.

Mind you JDash, I'm not saying you do either or that you are only saying penalties were their problem. I really think that loyalty might have been one of Spags' biggest downfalls. Why do you keep Loney of all people when his O-lines were nothing short of abysmal? Why do you cut young potential for old mediocrity?

Spags did a tremendous job of coaching up. I think his teams by in large played over their heads in many situations. I just think he lacked the big picture you need at his position. I still think he is a great guy and will some day be a very good HC but only after he gets some time and seasoning and he realizes that dead weight is dead weight.

Sorry, I'm a little pissed at Spags right now. I think he had everything he needed to make our team something to be reckoned with minus the back bone. I think he will grow that back bone but I just wish it would have been with the Rams.

Now I just hope we have a coach that retires a Ram after several successful seasons and a HOF career that includes some SB wins.

I also think that Fish will make sure that WHOEVER plays on our O-line will not show the pathetic performance we have witnessed of late.

I was/am a big fan of Spags but I think the one thing he will learn is that he needs to deal with his coaches much the same way he deals with his players. The old axiom comes into play. EVERYONE is a customer. Well... EVERYONE is a player when it comes to the NFL. He is great at dealing with players but he needs to coach his coaches and be their boss as well.

Just my take and I am venting a bit because I liked the guy so much - but there you go. Totally unsolicited BS - cathartic to me - maybe not so much to anyone else.

Well, there ya go. Venting is good. Spags is a kind of guy that makes you want to root for him even though you know he may be missing something essential. I think he was missing that something while with the Rams. I agree with you that someday he will be a fantastic coach but it was too bad it didn't happen with our Rams. So we go UP and ONWARD from here!!!

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:

WOW! From you? Yikes. Time and reflection can do that. All I can say is get ready for consistent progress with this team as a whole. I'm happy going into this season but I'm thrilled at what 2013 and beyond holds for the Rams. It's going to be a lot of fun.