Bonsignore: What was learned from the Rams’ preseason opener

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bonsignore: What was learned from the Rams’ preseason opener
By Vincent Bonsignore, Los Angeles Daily News

[www.dailynews.com]

Game one of the Rams’ return to Los Angeles is officially in the books. And it was a mixed bag at the Coliseum Saturday night, to be sure.

As Jeff Fisher so aptly put after the Rams backups chased down the Cowboys in 28-24 victory: “We’ve got our work cut out. We’re not close to being regular season-ready.”

The good news is, the Rams still have three weeks to sort themselves out before their season opener against the San Francisco 49ers.

On the other hand, some of the red flags we saw Saturday night might take months to rectify rather than weeks.

That said, let’s take a look at the good and bad of a historical night in downtown L.A.:

IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE A ROOKIE QB >> Jared Goff looked every bit the rookie quarterback he is before an injury to his non-throwing shoulder landed him on the bench after just two series. His offensive line didn’t help matters by exposing him to a pair of vicious hits — one on the interception he threw in the second quarter — and in doing so raised a valid concern.

Goff isn’t a runner — nor is he stout despite his 6-foot-5 length — and while his outstanding footwork enabled him to dance out of trouble in college, the NFL ain’t the Pac-12.

If the Rams can’t provide even average protection for Goff at this stage — and their offensive line has been a major concern for years now — he’s liable to take a pounding. And that could sabotage his rookie year.

As Goff progresses at the NFL level and makes the kind of quick decisions and throws he was known for at Cal, he can help mitigate offensive line issues. But the split-second indecision he shows at this point will play poorly if his blockers can’t buy him that extra second of time.

SPRUCE MAKING A PUSH >> Nelson Spruce is the all-time leading pass catcher in Pac-12 history. Let that dance around your head a bit before remembering he went undrafted last April.

Done laughing?

Or cringing?

Me too.

Whatever NFL scouts penalized Spruce for in measurables, he makes up for in intangibles. Like impeccable footwork off the line of scrimmage, which buys him back the split-second he lacks in prototypical wide receiver speed. Spruce’s footwork enables him to get past faster defenders off the line of scrimmage, which means he’s a step ahead of them from the get go. That’s critical at this stage. Throw in his precision route running and sure hands, and all of a sudden it doesn’t matter that he doesn’t run a world-class 40-yard dash. The point is to get open and catch the ball, and Spruce has been doing that all during camp and continued to do so on Saturday.

STARTING WIDE RECEIVERS WERE NO-SHOWS >> The Rams have had issues for years at wide receiver, and aside from Tavon Austin, who is a screen, slant, running weapon that, when utilized correctly, can be an asset, none of their starting wideouts have stood out in camp or against the Cowboys.

Kenny Britt and Brian Quick have had ample time to prove they are worthy of starting jobs and spots on the roster, but by now it’s painfully obvious they are keeping their positions by default. Neither was a big factor on Saturday, and while playing time had a bit to do with that, it’s hard to believe either will turn a new leaf at this point.

SECONDARY HAD ISSUES >> Preseason perspective is understanding that defensive game-planning is nonexistent and schemes and coverages are locked tightly in playbooks for obvious reasons.

That said, Rams cornerbacks Coty Sensabaugh and Lamarcus Joyner were badly outplayed in one-on-one, go-get-the-ball battles with Cowboys receivers Dez Bryant and Terrance Williams.

It was a case of physics.

The Cowboys 6-foot-2 wide outs had an obvious advantage over the 5-11 Sensabaugh and the 5-8 Joyner.

That could be an issue moving forward.

Sensabaugh and Joyner have been getting the bulk of the first-team reps as replacements for Janoris Jenkins, who left for the Giants via free agency. E.J. Gaines is also in the mix, but has been banged up and limited in camp so far.

Joyner seems better suited in the slot, where his 5-8 stature won’t be as apparent, as that position is more about matching up against quickness than big wideouts. Sensabaugh is an experienced veteran, but the Rams didn’t necessarily sign him to take over a starting cornerback spot.

They need Gaines to get back as soon as possible.

The Rams gambled a bit by letting Jenkins walk. It’s only one preseason game — and a slew of vanilla coverages — but his absence was felt.

HIGBEE IS A KEEPER >> Tyler Higbee has been one of the stars of training camp, and he absolutely transferred his practice field success to an actual game.

At 6-foot-6, 250 pounds and blessed with adequate speed and athletic ability, the fourth-round rookie tight end from Western Kentucky has been a nightmare to defend for Rams linebackers and defensive backs.

It was no different against the Cowboys.

Higbee is strong enough to get off the line of scrimmage, fast enough to beat linebackers in coverage and big enough to block out linebackers and defensive backs on jump balls.

If he stays healthy, he’s got a chance to be a big-time rookie contributor.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Read a paragraph, was piissed..DNR the rest, hammered Bonsignore on twitter:gtfo:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nothing in Vinny's article that hasn't been talked about "ad naseum" here at ROD since the game ended 2 days ago.

Did Vinny watch the game or get his info for that article here at ROD?

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Read a paragraph, was piissed..DNR the rest, hammered Bonsignore on twitter:gtfo:

LOL Loyal.. chase his ass with that hammer..
arg-hammer-chasing-nail-animbg-320x200-url.gif

He should proof his work and do some fact checks........................

Goff isn’t a runner — nor is he stout despite his 6-foot-5 length.........Bonsi you get paid to proof your work.. he's 6'4 220 not 6'5 200. He also didn't even try to run, escape or be mobile in his very limited snaps debut.

Goff actually can run better than the consensus think if they've watched all of his PAC 12 games like some of us.

When he's more comfortable and the playbook starts to become second nature, we will see Goff's ability to move in the pocket and juke some (NFL D-Lineman) as well as take off running when he needs to.

Some of these writers/reporters are still catching up on the players and team in general but damn the info isn't hard to research if you're not lazy, tons of film is at their fingertips...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think he watched the game, at least not the one I watched!! He must have gathered his report from Blog's!(n)

lockdnram21

Legend
I might be in minority but Quick and Britt are not all at fault for #s. Qb and line. They saying they didn't do nothing. Well Quick made his catch on only catchable target. The Qbs usually went to first read. People want to kick him off just to kick him off

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Made no mention of TruJo when discussing our secondary. smh.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
I find the criticism of Quick and Britt a little unwarranted. Quick had a great game, I thought, for how little he was used. Good blocking, got open, nice quiet little game. Yeah, Britt didn't factor in but... QB. Gameplan. I expect Britt and Quick to benefit greatly by playing with Goff (also expect Goff to benefit from playing with them).

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

why do i read these articles?

Glutton for punishment I suppose. :sneaky:

1st preseason game in the 2016 season and he's already throwing daggers at the team. I really think there are some in the media who thought they were going to come out and light the stadium on fire and be in mid-season form. The media built the pregame hype and it didn't pan out to their expectation so they are quick to criticize. I take anything they say with a grain of salt. The proof in the pudding, so to speak, will be how we come out when the games really count. We have 3 more preseason games to get it all worked out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I find the criticism of Quick and Britt a little unwarranted. Quick had a great game, I thought, for how little he was used. Good blocking, got open, nice quiet little game. Yeah, Britt didn't factor in but... QB. Gameplan. I expect Britt and Quick to benefit greatly by playing with Goff (also expect Goff to benefit from playing with them).
thanks for letting this fool have it...
and here I was a few weeks ago, reading his reports like he knew what the hell he was talking about...
Look, I slam guys all the time, not just hate to hate, but what I actually see...and I still see rather well...at least I thought I did...Vinny doesn't know much, and it shows. I'm still curious, what did the line do that was so wrong? QB's get hit..have pressure...I'm sure Keenum would say he had time to complete the scripted plays...I guess, like many, he don't like my boy Quick...It's alright...Quick looks ready...all we need to do is keep working, stay healthy, and read the hate mail...Great motivation. Britt caught his only pass, got blasted, and I'm sure said, enough of that underneath crap...Personally, I thought we'd get away from swing passes to Tavon, those should be Gurley's...but hey....I actually liked the direction of the offense...Groh's vision I call it...and to me, the starting offensive line approached dominance...in the run game...pass blocking they need some work with blitzes & stunts....but it's preseason.
The defense...well it was obvious...so was the lack of pressure...so we agree vinny....but to say a corner at 5'8 CAN'T...naw...small guys get it done too....The right small guys...

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
He is right about Higbee being a rookie threat. He was one of the few bright spots for this team.