Bonsignore; Theory of the best offense is a good defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rams-734648-games-team.html

The chants echoed across the Coliseum on Sunday, the frustration and anger apparent as fans urged Rams coach Jeff Fisher to make the switch at quarterback.

“We want Goff. We want Goff,” their voices rose, pleading with Fisher to make the switch from Case Keenum to Jared Goff.

More than 80,000 fans had packed the Coliseum.

There was no question what they were saying.

Or who their words were directed at.

Without question, the fans were aiming their ire at Fisher.

Problem was – at least according to Fisher – he didn’t hear them.

“I honestly didn’t hear them root for Jared,” Fisher said.

Didn’t hear them?

Or just didn’t want to hear them?

Either way, Fisher isn’t budging. So don’t expect a change at quarterback until the Rams are officially eliminated from playoff contention. And considering their fourth straight loss Sunday to the Carolina Panthers sent the Rams scrambling to 3-5 on the season, that day is drawing closer.

In any event, here are some observations from another lost Sunday for the Rams.

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, THAT DEFENSE
The Rams held Eli Manning and the Giants offense to one touchdown in London.

They limited the Panthers and Cam Newton to one touchdown as well.

That’s playoff-caliber defense.

If only the offense could join the party.

Until then, the margin for error is zero.

“No games are easy,” Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree said. “I feel like, I’ve said all the time, our team is built to win close games. You can see, every game that we’ve kind of lost, we’ve been there close at the end. We just haven’t found a way to finish those games, but we’re built to play close games and we’re going to have to find a way to win those close games.”

The trick now is keeping the Rams defense inspired and engaged and hope the offense finally holds up its end of the bargain.

“We have to continue to keep the defense playing at this rate, this effort, and with the production. We have to find a way to get some turnovers on defense, however, and we have to figure out a way to score some points,” Fisher said. “I’m very disappointed, but we’ll bounce back. Four consecutive in the loss column is not good, and the only way you can win four in the win column is you go out and win the next one, so that’s where we’re at. I think the team understands that. They understand where we’re at. We’re not getting the turnovers. Turnovers hurt us in London, and the one turnover today hurt us, but there were some outstanding efforts out there today and that was a good football team.”

THE RAMS ARE NO LONGER A RUNNING TEAM
The Rams came into this season insisting they are a run-first team behind Todd Gurley and an improved offensive line, with Keenum game-managing at quarterback while occasionally taking shots down field off play-action pass.

That’s what they said.

But with Gurley finding little room to work behind a line that’s looked overwhelmed at times – and against defenses that stack the line of scrimmage daring Keenum to beat them with the pass – the Rams the last two games have completely gotten away from who they are.

Two weeks after throwing the ball 53 times in a close loss to the New York Giants – and insisting afterward they aren’t built to throw that much – they dialed up 47 more throws against the Panthers.

Gurley got 15 carries against the Giants and a season-low 12 against the Panthers.

That’s a problem, especially when the offense produced just two touchdowns in the process and lost both games.

“I don’t control the play-calling – (offensive coordinator) Coach (Rob) Boras does a great job. It’s a team game, you can’t get the ball every time,” Gurley said.

Maybe, but a week after Boras insisted the Rams got away from who they are it’s hard to imagine doing the same exact thing the very next game.

Gurley is a home run hitter whose chances to take a run to the end zone increase with the amount number of touches he gets.

The Rams are essentially removing him from consideration.

“Like I said, obviously everybody wants the ball in their hands,” Gurley said, “But it’s a team game, I trust in my guys as much as they trust in me.”

THE RAMS ARE FRUSTRATED
It wasn’t so long ago the Rams were standing at 3-1 and thinking legitimately about the playoffs.

They’ve lost four straight since.

And the frustration is everywhere.

“Crushed. We’re just absolutely crushed,” offensive guard Rodger Saffold said. “Enough is enough. We know we need to put more work in on offense and have to score touchdowns. I don’t blame any one group. I don’t blame coaching. I don’t blame anything, but just collectively, we need figure it out. Our defense is out here putting up games. We need to be able to capitalize. Enough is enough. Enough with just sitting around and saying, ‘Let’s stick together.’ It’s time to just go power it in.”

Saffold is a proud man with good intent

The problem is, the Rams have been saying essentially the same thing the last four games.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Alec Ogletree said:
I feel like, I’ve said all the time, our team is built to win close games.

Or built to lose them.

Dead last in first downs, points scored, 31st in yards, 30th in rushing, but 2nd most INTs thrown by a QB.

Sorry Alec, there's no defense in the world that can overcome this.

Rodger Saffold said:
Enough is enough. We know we need to put more work in on offense and have to score touchdowns. I don’t blame any one group. I don’t blame coaching. I don’t blame anything, but just collectively, we need figure it out..

Couldn't figure it out over the bye week. Not holding out much hope they're going to the last two months of the year.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Can anyone think of a reason for keeping Fisher for even one more day?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As has been said " The Best Defense in the World, can't make up for an Offence that can't score Points!"(y)
Maybe we should "Turn-Back the Clock" and start having Players Play on both-sides of the Ball, Offence and Defense!?! Can you picture it, Donald and Brockers playing both DT and OG!?! :D

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
“Enough is enough. We know we need to put more work in on offense and have to score touchdowns

Just putting in more work doing the same thing isn't going to help, Rodger. New things have to be tried.

That being said, I'm not blaming you - your a player, the coaches are the ones that need to change things up.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
For anyone who has ever been involved with coaching you know they do not have time or desire to hear what is happening in the stands. It's not surprising to hear the fans frustration coming out nor is it surprising to hear that from Fisher.

If the players weren't getting pissed I'd be more upset with them. They have some pride but they know the prolems lie with them and their execution of what is called.

I'd like to hear from Boras on why he is taking Gurley out of the games. He needs 25 touches a game to be effective.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
don't steal this idea

GOFF MATTERS

For anyone who has ever been involved with coaching you know they do not have time or desire to hear what is happening in the stands. It's not surprising to hear the fans frustration coming out nor is it surprising to hear that from Fisher.
I think every coach hears boos especially after an incompletion...but may not make out or understand random chants...I personally think Fish is a liar...most coaches are...if you look close, very closely, he's really showing a lot of stress & pressure.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
don't steal this idea

GOFF MATTERS

I think every coach hears boos especially after an incompletion...but may not make out or understand random chants...I personally think Fish is a liar...most coaches are...if you look close, very closely, he's really showing a lot of stress & pressure.
He was a lot more animated on the sideline against Carolina and I'm good with that. I don't know if I'd call them liars but they do and should keep some things to themselves.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He was a lot more animated on the sideline against Carolina and I'm good with that.

Here’s what Fisher said in the recent report, according to Gonzalez:

“I’m not uncomfortable at all. I’m uncomfortable because I didn’t expect to be 3-and-whatever we are, but I’m not uncomfortable at all. I never look over my shoulder. We’re moving on.”
You said he appeared more "animated". I'll agree...He usually tried to remain calm & unemotional. The ex-players always say something like, if the General doesn't show panic, the troops won't panic....something along those lines. And I believe that...To see Fisher emotional, and out of character...he seemed exactly what he said he wasn't...uncomfortable. To me, that's an unnecessary lie...why? The losing...the hard knocks show...the offense..specifically the Keenum decision. Liar, for no reason...A line from a song I remember, " you don't have to lie, to kick it"...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You said he appeared more "animated". I'll agree...He usually tried to remain calm & unemotional. The ex-players always say something like, if the General doesn't show panic, the troops won't panic....something along those lines. And I believe that...To see Fisher emotional, and out of character...he seemed exactly what he said he wasn't...uncomfortable. To me, that's an unnecessary lie...why? The losing...the hard knocks show...the offense..specifically the Keenum decision. Liar, for no reason...A line from a song I remember, " you don't have to lie, to kick it"...
I like that he isn't looking over his shoulder that can do nothing but make matters worse. I think there is a good chance the extension is already done and they are holding it back for release after the end of the regular season.

Still a lot of factors going in to this seasons roller coaster that have nothing to do with Fisher. I know he's the one making decisions and eventually there will be repercussions, I just don't think we are seeing him gone in the next couple of years no matter the record.

They are still close to turning the corner and could easily be 6-2 or 5-3, I know they're not but they aren't being dominated by anyone either. SF was a fluke. Seaderal, Ariz, Carolina those are the real Rams minus Gurley. They have to get the balance back and quit throwing the damn ball 40 times a game.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
I like that he isn't looking over his shoulder that can do nothing but make matters worse. I think there is a good chance the extension is already done and they are holding it back for release after the end of the regular season.

Still a lot of factors going in to this seasons roller coaster that have nothing to do with Fisher. I know he's the one making decisions and eventually there will be repercussions, I just don't think we are seeing him gone in the next couple of years no matter the record.

They are still close to turning the corner and could easily be 6-2 or 5-3, I know they're not but they aren't being dominated by anyone either. SF was a fluke. Seaderal, Ariz, Carolina those are the real Rams minus Gurley. They have to get the balance back and quit throwing the damn ball 40 times a game.

that's easy to say but you cant just keep running the ball and not get first downs. our D will die out there. we need a QB to hit open receivers and stop running in to sacks. another thing I cant figure out is why cant keenum run the ball sometimes,roll him out, bootlegs I have seen him a couple of times with plenty of room to run but he throws in to double coverage instead.