Bonsignore: Signing LT Andrew Whitworth an excellent start for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Signing LT Andrew Whitworth an excellent start for Rams

http://www.presstelegram.com/sports...-andrew-whitworth-an-excellent-start-for-rams

A steady hum of construction work echos twenty-four seven across 298 acres in Inglewood these days. From which, a grand new stadium will eventually be erected for the Los Angeles Rams and Chargers.

Nearly 50 miles away in Thousand Oaks, a different sort of job site is buzzing.

Going all the way back to the day the Rams parted ways with head coach Jeff Fisher, the club has gotten busy rebuilding itself. If not entirely from the ground up, certainly a slew of major renovations encompassing everything from philosophy to schemes to the way they are coached.

And now, finally, the very sort of players they seek to carry out new head coach Sean McVay’s vision.

One week into that phase of the renovation, the Rams have added some key new pieces that, at least on paper, make them a better team right now than when they concluded the 2016 season a little over two months ago.

Coming off a 4-12 season, that might not be saying much. But if the goal is to get better, the Rams appear to be accomplishing their objectives with the additions of left tackle Andrew Whitworth, wide receiver Robert Woods, cornerback Kayvon Webster and defensive end Connor Barwin.

Up ahead is the draft, where the Rams are armed with eight picks in a pool deep in wide receivers, safeties and defensive linemen. And while the draft appears shallow at offensive line — an area the Rams are still tinkering — there figures to be some day one starters available when their first pick turn comes up at the 37th spot overall.

It’s still relatively early in the offseason, and between the second week of free agency, the draft, and post-draft roster tinkering time is on the Rams side to address even more areas of need.

With that in mind, here is a look at what the Rams have done so far and the work they still need to do.

BEST MOVE

It’s impossible to qualify just how important the signing of veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth is for the Rams. Suffice to say, though, his impact will be felt on various different levels.

From creating peace of mind for young quarterback Jared Goff, immediately improving the narrative of the Rams beleaguered offensive line to being the catalyst that gets Todd Gurley back on track, Whitworth’s influence has the potential to be every bit as big as his 6-foot-7, 335-pound frame.

andrew-whitworth-ot-cincinnati-bengals_pg_600.jpg

Faced with addressing their single most important need, the Rams were able to tap into the best option available in Whitworth, long regarded as one of the top players at his position.

And in spite of his 35-year-old age, he’s shown no signs of letting up.

The impact Whitworth will have on the offensive line could create a far-reaching ripple affect that benefits every phase of the Rams offense.

“The first thing I have to do is do my job well and hopefully that can impact and influence throughout my group,” Whitworth said. “I know some of those guys and I think a lot of some of them. I think that from the guys that I do know, I look forward to getting the chance to know the rest of them and know them better — kind of know who they are as a player and how I can help.”

DON’T SLEEP ON

Back in the day a highly productive edge rush linebacker in the Rams’ Eagle 3-4 defense was forced to make a position change to a three-point 4-3 defensive end.

Ironically it was then-Rams defensive coordinator Jeff Fisher who made dominant outside linebacker Kevin Greene switch positions to defensive end, where he was woefully misplaced. The result was a dramatic fall off in production and an eventual break up with the Rams. Greene resurfaced in Pittsburgh, where he immediately got back on track by moving back to outside linebacker and producing a handful of dominant seasons that ultimately earned him induction into the Hall of Fame.

No one is mistaking new Rams edge rusher Connor Barwin with Greene, but there are similarities to their stories that can’t be overlooked. Much like Fisher did with Greene, Eagles defensive coordinator Jeff Schwartz asked Barwin to move from 3-4 outsize linebacker to a 4-3 defensive end last year.

The result was a major dip in pass rush production, as Barwin slumped to five sacks last year after notching 14.5 in his 2014 Pro Bowl season and 31.5 overall from 2013 to 2016.

With the Rams, Barwin will return back to his more comfortable outside linebacker role in Wade Phillips’ 3-4 defensive scheme. The pair have a working relationship — Phillips coached Barwin in Houston — and there is every reason to believe Barwin can reclaim his previous pass rush prowess, much like Greene did moving from the Rams to the Steelers back in the day.

A WORK IN PROGRESS

If you watched the Rams last year, their lack of perimeter play-makers was glaring. The signing of former USC star Robert Woods, who spent his first four NFL seasons in Buffalo, won’t immediately fix that but it’s a start.

Woods is a precise pass route runner, which is a perfect fit in McVay’s timing-based passing game. And that will make him a big-time friend to Goff, a rhythm passer who can have confidence Woods will be in the right spot and the right time when he delivers a pass.

Woods won’t take the top off a defense, but he can consistently help move the chains. He’s also a willing, effective blocker which will also help Gurley in the running game.

MISSED OUT

The Rams had a good plan in place chasing Bills restricted free agent center Ryan Groy, who started seven games last year under new Rams offensive line coach Aaron Kromer and helped the Bills average 177 yards rushing. Unfortunately the Bills were onto it, and immediately matched the two-year offer sheet. That means it’s back to the drawing board for a new starting center to replace Tim Barnes, who was released last year. The Rams hope to reel a center in in free agency or via a trade, but if not, they may have to turn to the draft and that’s always dicey uncovering a day one starter at such a demanding position.

NOW WHAT?

First and foremost, the Rams need a new center. Among the possibilities are veterans Nick Mangold, Broncos restricted free agent Matt Paradis and Redskins free agent John Sullivan.

But they also need a safety that better fits Phillips defensive scheme — an assignment the Rams don’t appear confident T.J. McDonald can handle.

The draft is deep in safeties, and by addressing left tackle and wide receiver the Rams have some flexibility to look to that position with the 37th pick overall. Some names to keep an eye on are Alabama’s Eddie Jackson and Texas A&M’s Justin Evans.

More urgent, though, is getting Goff more perimeter play-makers, making a wide receiver like East Carolina’s Zay Jones such an intriguing possibility.

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"Ironically it was then-Rams defensive coordinator Jeff Fisher who made dominant outside linebacker Kevin Greene switch positions to defensive end, where he was woefully misplaced. The result was a dramatic fall off in production and an eventual break up with the Rams."

One more reason to love Fisher.:puke:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have a problem with this article because I do not agree with the writers premise! Everything Fisher did was not BAD! He just didn't change enough with the Times!
No matter what anyone says, this Team is going to go thru a major rebuild in one short year! And in my humble opinion, the Rams can go from 4-12 to 12-4 in one year!
Too many people, with too little Football experience are voicing STUPID OPINION's! I have been around the Rams a Long time! And I think we are about to see some amazing changes. FOR THE GOOD!!
BUT WTF DO I KNOW .. I'M JUST AN OLD DIE-HARD FAN!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
While I love what the Rams have done so far, we still have several depth issues which could be temporarily patched while waiting on the draft. I'm not too high on starting a round 3 or later Center to begin with, and even with our WR1 need, unless our scouting unit are magicians, i'm not certain that's how I would choose to use that 2'nd round rookie resource. CB is another huge issue, first whether TruJo remains on the roster, second drafting his future replacement as he's a UFA next year, even if he sticks around for 2017. Again, preferring not to start a rookie CB if it can be avoided. The Rams have less than $10.mil showing in CAP availability once we account for our draft class. As the current free agent class dwindles in quality, we may have to decide whether we continue to fill needs here or rely on the draft to do so, which hurts the BPA approach. Personally, I prefer we fill needs with free agents and draft the BPA method. So, ... what kind of one year wonders might remain available in free agency which could allow newly drafted rookies a bit of time to develop, or the team as a whole to wait a year to replace ? I'm pretty sure most of us are aware we aren't likely to get the transition all done in a single season. For this post at least, without the benefit of a trade, can we expect to do better than say ... a one year deal to Mangold, the same for Anquan Boldin, and yet again a one year 'show me' contract for CB Alterraun Verner ? None of these players are what they once were, but as low cost stop gap types, perhaps we can squeeze them all under the CAP. I don't even care if they last the entire season, just get us enough playing time to help develop those coming up behind them. A move like or similar to this may allow our draft to be shaped more by BPA than need. Of course, we can always take the chance of waiting on those scraps that follow camp cuts, but they won't be practicing with the Rams under our coaching staff, nor will they know our play-book. jmo.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I have a problem with this article because I do not agree with the writers premise! Everything Fisher did was not BAD! He just didn't change enough with the Times!
No matter what anyone says, this Team is going to go thru a major rebuild in one short year! And in my humble opinion, the Rams can go from 4-12 to 12-4 in one year!
Too many people, with too little Football experience are voicing STUPID OPINION's! I have been around the Rams a Long time! And I think we are about to see some amazing changes. FOR THE GOOD!!
BUT WTF DO I KNOW .. I'M JUST AN OLD DIE-HARD FAN!

GOD LOVE YOU dear fellow DIEHARD RAMS fan and brother. I almost always agree fully with you. We both have seen too much ,we had no buisiness seeing. I feel real positive about our upcoming season after what we've been through together as we live the RAMS.

We have SO many players in so many positions to find out who already fits either our offensive or defensive schemes as both are changing all while we most importantly protect and speed up the process of everything Jared Goff and his SPECIAL gifts are maximized sooner then later.(We'll do comparisons with Wentz and Prescott later).

Also getting Gurley back on track in every phase of the game behind said RAMS line is imperative. So many holes to fill everywhere. All this intro leads to OL production as job 1 along with other area's at the same time. We must multi-task in our rebuild. Proof how coaching matters will soon show us how we were lacking sadly top down.

So hard to do but we must forget what we watched last season and not label those still here with limitations till this coaching staff gives up on them. Offensive weapons added and still needed . We still do not have but a guess if Groy was meant as a backup.bridge or starter. No One here knows for sure. I just know coach Boudreau and asst. did us no favors with Grob,Hav.,Barnes and stop in production of Barnes,Wichman and I personally actually saw improvement in Donnal and think with Saffold and Grob most likely moving again in a fluid situation our OL is in with Kromer coaching and our new stud Whitworth able to have time to help coach up our best 5 and find our dead weight. Lots of true competition is great. We already have talent better than Groy on our squad . Especially with coach Kromer thrown on top of that issue and the time from OTA's through 4 pre-season games. Not evening mentioning draft,trade or FA.

No way do we change from 4-3 to 3-4 on defense as Phillips runs his 3-4 with many twists as did Williams his 4-3. Gonna take time and getting new players FA's and draft,UDFA's to fill out Phillips Vision with the best we have. Getting Aaron Donald signed to a long term deal and if they want to also do the same with AO. Our "D" backfield would seem to be the most likely weakspot as OL on offense. With TJ in his last year at CB and most likely losing McDonald as I've heard he's not a fit for what Phillips is wanting in that special spot. Loads of safeties in this draft. TJ will want a decent showing this year to get his best FA contract. From OTA's onward we will see everything in the "D" backfield , Once again COMPETITION.

No fish rules about rookies starting and when. Hope best players play now. It will be a much better team on the field without a constant immature chip on their shoulder and hopefully a NEW feel of Disciplined hard hitting surprising football. We've seen the other side long enough. It's gonna take a couple years with maybe some positive surprizes . I think our division is wide open. Time to get excited and not think we or the press have any clue to the inside thinking behind this rebuild. We're gonna speculate enough as it is. Hopefully we can be more patient when every move does'nt seem to go our way. Lots of things besides good health are a must for a new regime to make its mark. We already see the fresh smell and attitude adjustment coming.

This draft may be deep in some area's and not as many Elite projected guys but lots of coachable players if scouting work put in gets us the right fitted guys. We have so many needs I hope we can go BPA in the holes we have. Draft will be here in notime. When your as old as me time flys. Hope we can enjoy and meet up with each other as I pray This group has a Very Long and AWESOME RUN. I feel another Championship in Horns before I walk into Heaven. Honored to post with you awesome fans.

So sorry I write Novels and most don't read anyway. :redcard::redcard::redcard:

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This signing was huge. Hard to tell at this time just how big this signing will be but @ the moment several things become clear to me on this one signing alone.

First it indicates to me that McVay/Snead/Kromer fully realize that GRob is done here as a left OT. To me it tells me these guys know what their doing. It puts GRob into a position he has not been in where he will have to earn a position on this 53 player roster. Even more GRob will have to work his butt off ( & his brain) & do his homework finally. Nobody is going to be assigned to baby sit him each & every play any longer. He must hold up his end of the deal here.

Not sure if the Value of Saffold is affected here either its been since GRob's was inserted into the starting LT post that Saffold would be the reserve OLT. Chances are Snead will select a LT prospect in this draft. Five of the OT's McVay is to bring in for a pre draft visit are pure LT's types! Saffold value should diminish unless there are a large amount of OL injuries. GRob is now an extra OL'er that can be worked into the other 3 positions if need be. IMO GRob will end up somewhere working on the right side (OT/OG).

AW's arrival now will permit Kromer many options on just how he will approach this 2017 OL & how he wants this OL to operate. Having both OT's GRob & Saffold on the roster as past LT starters & the probable a new rookie OT will affect the other OL reserves too. Its going to be interesting what past ORT Havenstien & past top RT reserve Andrew Donnal will land because both offer great lenght & size. How will it affect the other OT's Darrell Williams & Pace Murphy? Pace has the some length to him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm still scared of FA's:help::sadwalk:
You & I have great reasons for your scared position.....just look @ the past major signings by this Ram Organization. Should scare us to :death:.

Playing half of all your games on the warm soft natural southern California grass for a long starting career of a 38 year old NFL very large mountain of a man. The two away games in AZ & SF are not bad away games the only late usual game the Rams face is Seattle. And why do the Rams always have the away game in Seattle late December anyway?Guess it gives great drama for the NFL to showcase the wet windy cold dark late December winter game in the Seatle & dramatize the 12 man trash..

How much warm sun shines in the north state of Ohio in the fall & early winter.

Last edited: