Bonsignore: Rams ready to sort through bevy of receivers at combine

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams ready to sort through bevy of receivers at combine

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE / STAFF COLUMNIST

INDIANAPOLIS – The wide receivers finally made it to Lucas Oil Stadium on Saturday for their on-field workouts at the NFL Scouting Combine. All 58 of them, which is an extraordinary amount of prospects and typifies the heavy emphasis these days on throwing the ball.

Inside the stadium, the Rams scouting and coaching contingency watched intently, wide receiver being such a significant need and, based on how many of them the Rams requested formal interviews with and reach out to informally, this week a particular point of focus this week.

And not just here, either.

The opening of free agency on Monday is expected to offer a slew of interesting possibilities, and the Rams appear poised to be active as new head coach Sean McVay begins building the offense to his specifications.

“We’re confident that we know that market and who, in that market, fits Sean the most,” said Rams general manager Les Snead.

Depending on how aggressive they are next week – and there are strong indications they’ll at least kick the tires on a group that should include Washington’s DeSean Jackson, Cleveland’s Terrelle Pryor, Chicago’s Alshon Jeffery, Washington’s Pierre Garcon – the Rams’ receiver need might not be as compelling as it is right now.

Nevertheless, the Rams at their core are a draft and development organization, so ideally some long-range answers to a position that’s befuddled them for years were on the field Saturday.

Armed with the 37th overall pick in next month’s draft – and eight picks total across the second and seventh rounds – good chance one or two of them might be getting a call from McVay and Snead eventually.

Their draft position eliminates them from consideration for the top prospects – Clemson’s Mike Williams, Western Michigan’s Corey Davis and Washington’s Johnson Ross – but they’re well situated to tap into the next wave. And history shows impact receivers can be found beyond the first round.

With that in mind, here are some wide receivers who should be available when the Rams make their first pick.

JUJU SMITH SCHUSTER, USC, 6-2, 220, 2016 stats: 13 games, 70 catches, 914 yards, 10 TDs: There’s been a lot of talk at the combine that Smith-Schuster profiles as an Anquan Boldin type receiver, which makes a lot of sense. Like Boldin, Smith-Schuster isn’t a blazer, but he’s a big, physical, competitive receiver adept at route running and using his body to create an advantage in one-on-one battles. With the ball in his hands, he’s a punishing runner and isn’t afraid to use his size and strength as a weapon.

“Yeah, definitely. Anquan Boldin,” Smith-Schuster concurred. “His speed, at the same time the way he plays, the way he approaches the game, basically the overall how he plays his game and how tough he is. I kind of see myself the same way.”

COOPER KUPP, EASTERN WASHINGTON, 6-2, 205, 2016 Stats: 13 games 117 catches, 1,700 yards 17 TDs: Kupp disappointed a bit with his 4.62 and 4.66 40 times Saturday, but in a roundabout way that might actually help the Rams as it may eliminate Kupp from consideration as a first-round pick.

It shouldn’t, as Kupp’s productivity, natural hands, and ability to expertly slay every route on the route tree and operate against man or zone coverage makes him a first-round talent.

But in the finite world of stacking a draft board, Kupp might get docked for not delivering a sub 4.6 40.

Nevertheless, he’ll go off the board by the middle of the second round – at the latest – and he was one of the handful of receivers the Rams officially sat down with in Indiana.

“I believe in the receiver that I am, I believe in what I bring to a team,” Kupp said. “I think it’ something that no one else brings, the reliability, the versatility, someone who is going to be productive play in and play out.”

JOSH REYNOLDS, TEXAS A&M, 6-4, 194, 2016 Stats: 13 games, 61 catches 1,039 yards, 12 TDs: The Rams have a glaring need for big, reliable targets that can stretch the field, and Reynolds fits that bill. He isn’t the most physical receiver, and defensive backs will try to body him up to take advantage of his slender build. But he’s an explosive athlete that can gallop past defenders vertically – while possessing tremendous hand eye coordination and ball-catching skills – and can out-jump them on contested balls.

CHAD HANSEN, CAL, 6-2, 205, 2016 Stats: 10 games, 92 catches, 1,249 yards, 11 TDs: A former walk-on at Cal after spending one season at Idaho State, Hansen exploded onto the scene in 2016 with a monster year that transformed him from nobody to one of the most intriguing receivers in the draft. Watching him play, you’re instantly drawn to the explosive speed that allows him to burst past defenders, his ability to go up and get balls, but also work the sidelines with his footwork. He’ll get dinged for the elementary route running he was asked to do in Cal’s system, but he’s a willing learner and coachable, so he should seamlessly pick up the more nuanced NFL route tree.

“A lot of people think I’m a product of (Cal’s) offense but I don’t see it like that,” Hansen said. “I see myself as a complete receiver and someone that’s going to be able to translate to the NFL and be successful at that level.”

[www.ocregister.com]

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Anybody know anything about Josh Malone from Tenn? I was looking at WR 40 times and he popped up as running a 4.4 and good 20yd shuttle. He has good size also.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I would be happy with Josh Reynolds in the 3rd or 4th round. He fared well in the SEC and had many successful reps against top competition at the Senior Bowl.