Bonsignore: Rams GM Les Snead on offseason moves, Sean McVay and Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Bonsignore: Rams GM Les Snead on offseason moves, Sean McVay and Jared Goff
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/sean-747818-guys-players.html
March 28, 2017 Updated 5:20 p.m.

‘Look, it was obvious we needed better play at left tackle,' said Rams general manager Les Snead on the signing of free agent Andrew Whitworth. (AP Photo/Gregory Payan)

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE / STAFF COLUMNIST

PHOENIX – Rams general manager Les Snead sat down for a one-on-one interview with Southern California News Group's Vincent Bonsignore at the NFL's spring meetings on Tuesday. Snead touched on a number of subjects ranging from free agency, the potential impact new coach Sean McVay will have on attracting players and monitoring young quarterback jared Goff.

Q: We're a few weeks into free agency and you made some key additions in left tackle Andrew Whitworth, outside linebacker Connor Barwin, receiver Robert Woods and some others. From where you sit today, how would you assess what the Rams have been able to do?

A: Very satisfied. A player like Andrew Whitworth does so much for us, and not necessarily all on the field at left tackle. We've been the youngest team in all of football for the last few years, and now we get a legit leader that gives us that short-term dividend of, if he continues to keep playing the way he has been, left tackle will be a strong point for us. But I also think he will help Rodger Saffold, who is in his prime and playing good football, continue to play good and maybe even help him play the best football of his life. Then moving Greg Robinson, all of a sudden a guy who's still 23, 24 years old, gets to learn from somebody that's 12 years older who has had a lot of battles.

Look, it was obvious we needed better play at left tackle, whether that was getting Greg better or bringing someone else in. But I can tell you this. Let's just say you were able to get an improved player but maybe he didn't bring all the leadership qualities that (Whitworth) brings. We might not have gone that direction. It was really important for us to get that. Just because, hey, we're the youngest team in football and while there's some good core pieces that are going to be a round a long time, let's bring some real men in and help them pave the way and help our guys who are on the cusp of expedite that process.

Q: In talking to some of your new players, it's obvious the chance to play for Sean McVay was a big factor. And that, after talking to friends around the league who played for Sean, the feedback was really positive. Is that the sense you guys are getting too?

A: It's interesting because that was the feedback we got about Sean when we reached out to guys who had played for him during our coaching search. And that seemed to carry over into what we've heard during free agency. And it's interesting because the way our league is structured, Sean's a young guy and players relate to him. But then when they do their research they figure out, hey by the way, he can help me become a better football player. And when you get to the core of these, guys, that's what they want.

Q: Can that be a factor that bodes well for you guys in terms of attracting players?

A: I definitely think so. You combine Sean, a young, dynamic coach with the dynamic Los Angeles market. You can throw in weather too. And don't underestimate the reaction of guys when they see the drawings of the new stadium and how special it will be. All of these ingredients, with a big part being Sean, when guys start thinking: “If I have a chance to (be a free agent) one time, L.A. seems like a cool, happening, on-the-cusp place to go play.

Q: You designated CB Trumaine Johnson with the franchise tag. That creates flexibility to either sign him long term, trade him or let him play put the season with the tag. Is there a general plan in place for how things will proceed moving forward?

A: With Trumaine, it's important to us to be honest with him. And we've laid out a plan of OK, we'll start with the franchise tag because we certainly didn't want him to walk. Now we're going to go through OTAs get to the end of that, and that will be the first time we'll sit down and say, 'Can we get something done long term?' Now, trades are always an element you'll navigate. You always have to take it case by case, but he's not someone you're just going to give away. To make a deal like that it's got to be a win-win for both sides. In other words, if we lost Trumaine, how does that help the Rams, not only 2017 but into the future?

Q: There are rules in place that prohibit contact right now with players. How does that affect the way you monitor Jared Goff's offseason work and progress?

A: That's a frustrating part of this whole process. Because, hey, you know you've got a new head coach and a new offense and they're eager to get started. And you have a young quarterback just as eager. By sheer rules and legalities, which seems totally counterproductive to me, I don't mind saying that, you have a staff and quarterback who want to be the best they can be but outside forces are coming together to hinder that.

Q: Are you in favor of changing those rules to allow more access to players in the offseason? Especially young quarterbacks?

A: Definitely in favor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of going back to a time when we kept everyone around forever and everybody go do the Oklahoma Drill. But I do think there's a way both sides can think through this successfully. Because I think the players would tell you the same thing: They feel a void at times. So there has to be a solution better than what we have and I'd imagine it's something that will get discussed and some bright people will come up with a good one. It's common sense, and usually common sense prevails. Unfortunately it might not prevail as quickly as we'd like, especially from a football perspective. But it's something that's percolating.

Contact the writer: vbonsignore@scng.com

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams GM Les Snead feels the pressure to build a winner in L.A.
Gary KleinContact Reporter
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-les-snead-20170328-story.html

They remain in search of another receiver. They are thin at tight end and must fill holes at center and cornerback.

And the Rams lack a first-round pick.

On Tuesday, with the NFL draft set to commence in less than a month, General Manager Les Snead said that despite a wait until the 37th pick, the Rams can equip new Coach Sean McVay and his staff with the pieces to “turn this thing around as soon as possible.”

The Rams are coming off another losing season — they have not finished above .500 since 2003 — and McVay and Snead have made several offseason moves to clean house and restock the roster.

They jettisoned, traded or decided not to re-sign many veteran players who were staples of the Jeff Fisher era. They signed six free agents — including receiver Robert Woods, offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth and linebacker Connor Barwin — and will probably make more moves after the draft.

Last year, Snead engineered a trade with the Tennessee Titans that enabled the Rams to move to the No. 1 spot in the draft and select quarterback Jared Goff.

The deal cost the Rams six picks, but they will go into the April 27-29 draft in Philadelphia with eight picks, including two each in the fourth and sixth rounds.

Snead survived the aftermath of Fisher’s December firing and is preparing for his sixth draft with the Rams. He said he does not feel added pressure after last season’s 4-12 finish and Fisher’s dismissal.

“What I lose sleep about at night, it has nothing to do with me,” he said. “It generally has to do with, coming to L.A. was a rare opportunity and a unique responsibility and you feel like you let that passionate fan base down. … So there is an urgency to be consistently in contention.”

The Rams took steps toward achieving that goal by signing such players as Whitworth, Barwin and Woods, Snead said.
Whitworth, 35, is a three-time Pro Bowl selection. He gives the Rams a proven left tackle to protect Goff and open holes for running back Todd Gurley. The acquisition of Whitworth also enables the Rams to move struggling Greg Robinson to right tackle and, possibly, move Rob Havenstein to right guard.

“If Andrew comes in and plays the way he has the last two years, that is now a position of strength,” Snead said.

Barwin, 30, fills a need at outside linebacker in defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’ 3-4 scheme. Barwin played for Phillips with the Houston Texans early in his career.

And Woods, 24, is regarded as a precise, reliable route runner and pass-catcher.

Those players, along with 26-year-old cornerback Kayvon Webster — a member of two Super Bowl teams with the Denver Broncos — bring another element to the mix.

“Let’s call it real veteran leadership, real men coming into the locker room to help kind of show our young guys the way and give them an example that maybe we haven’t provided,” Snead said.

Was that a problem last season?

“I can’t say it was problem,” Snead said, “but what I do think, looking back, is we could have been better served had we had some guys like that.

“Our young guys have played a lot and they’re growing up. A lot of them are just now ready to become leaders, and have become leaders. But giving them an example only makes us stronger.”

Kevin Demoff, the Rams’ vice president of football operations, said the makeup of the roster is “starting to take on Coach McVay’s personality,” with the draft and other possible free-agent moves still to come.

In regard to receivers, Snead said “we’re definitely not done there,” though at this point the opportunity to find a free agent who can “tilt the field” is remote. So the Rams are expected to heavily consider using the fifth pick of the second round to fill that need.

They also remain in search of a replacement for released two-year starting center Tim Barnes.

The Buffalo Bills foiled their attempt to acquire restricted free agent Ryan Groy by matching the Rams’ offer sheet. The Rams met with veteran John Sullivan last week but he remains unsigned.

College centers will be available in the later rounds of the draft. McVay also has said that other interior linemen would be trained at the position, so versatile Andrew Donnal is among those who possibly could make the transition.

“With a young quarterback, the center’s got to be really, really on point,” Snead said.

The release of veteran Lance Kendricks left Cory Harkey, who has played mainly as a fullback, and second-year pros Tyler Higbee and Temarrick Hemingway as the tight ends.

“Definitely inexperienced right now, but sometimes you have to do that,” Snead said. “But I think it’s also one we’ll continue to look at.”

This is considered a deep draft for cornerbacks and safeties, so the Rams are expected to select one or more as they attempt to find complementary pieces for franchise-tagged cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

Johnson, who will earn nearly $17 million this season, also is regarded as a tradeable asset.

BeefJurky

Rookie
I'm pretty satisfied with McSnead so far.
This free agency was more active than the entire Snisher era combined.

I feel like next year is a "prove-it" year for a lot of guys.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I still don't know how to feel about Snead. He has a lot to prove.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Guess what ?? Les Snead's favorite verse . Truth to what he is saying though about Greg Robinson is he will be good at RT & already has experience at LT . Whitmore just helps his development by being the veteran leader. He is a guy in the huddle that will command respect.

How do fans expect this young team know how to win ?? Roger Saffold doesn't know that & needs a proven guy
around him to help make him better as well.
The center position will be huge.Donnall is a guy that came into the NFL soft. At the end of the season he finally cut his hair,not saying that was a bad thing having long hair. It just showed he was serious about football , & has gained a lot of muscle. I think he might do well at center. He knows all the Offensive line positions .

Psycho_X

Legend
, let's bring some real men in and help them pave the way

At times it seemed like Fisher was running the team as if they were high schoolers and the roster reflected that in some places. I'm glad we're past that finally. This is the first free agency in a long time where I really can't complain or scratch my head at any of our signings. They all fit schemes, they are all respected veterans, and they all love to play the game it seems. I couldn't say that about most of the guys Fisher, Spags, or Linehan brought in.

Also, glad to see him speak up about the dumb offseason rules. It's asinine that teams can't simply talk to players and do classroom work more often. It's a job and should be treated as such. Give February off sure but that should be enough. Even if it was something like coaches are allowed to do classroom work with players 3 days a week starting with the new league year... just seems basic and common sense to me. They'd still have 4 days off.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
So far the offseason looks good. He made the most of his limited resources with the salary cap situation. Now go get a center Les!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
There are rules in place that prohibit contact right now with players. How does that affect the way you monitor Jared Goff's offseason work and progress?

A: That's a frustrating part of this whole process. Because, hey, you know you've got a new head coach and a new offense and they're eager to get started. And you have a young quarterback just as eager. By sheer rules and legalities, which seems totally counterproductive to me, I don't mind saying that, you have a staff and quarterback who want to be the best they can be but outside forces are coming together to hinder that.

Q: Are you in favor of changing those rules to allow more access to players in the offseason? Especially young quarterbacks?

A: Definitely in favor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of going back to a time when we kept everyone around forever and everybody go do the Oklahoma Drill.
Man...stupidest rule ever...Seriously. Kills your chance to compete against veteran teams.
Whitmore just helps his development by being the veteran leader. He is a guy in the huddle that will command respect.
Whet-more good name for you....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I can't wait to see what the Rams look like with all these New FA's and after the Draft! It's definitely not going to be the same as last year, at all!!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bringing in veterans with a ton of football savy is going to be huge for the whole Ram team. How Fisher could not see that having veterans speaks volumes to his arrogance, and kudos to the new regime for seeing it and correcting it.

The OL was bad last year not so much due to lack of effort or strength, they just were s green they constantly got "schooled" .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Man...stupidest rule ever...Seriously. Kills your chance to compete against veteran teams.

Funny stuff- creepy though .

In the Jared Goff & contacts with players.

What is the rule exactly ? They can give them players or contact with them through wi-if,phone, internet ??

Psycho_X

Legend
Whether it was before or not, going forward, the team quality is on Snead's shoulders it sounds like.

he clarifies "3th" is a typo for "37th"

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Whether it was before or not, going forward, the team quality is on Snead's shoulders it sounds like.

Another words Fisher got all Crusty & Outdated . He always thought his crap didn't stink though. Glad The Rams got that old Stench out of LA. Go hunt for days at a time Fish. The wild game will come to you & your smelly self .

Ram65

Legend
So far the moves have made great sense. Deleting Kendricks and Hayes saved money to help bring in Woods, Whit, Barwin and Webster. Barnes needed to be upgrade and that still needs to be done. They got a nice mix of young and older veterans which they needed to upgrade both team leadership and ability.

These moves were the easier part of the off season. Now, let see what less can do in the draft.
The Bangkok

From these tweets it sounds like Les has the power with input from the staff. He has to hit on a good ammount of these positions. Free agency could still get a stop gap OC.

WR
CB or Two
OC
S
TE

I always liked Less. I get what he says. Things just aren't as simple sometimes because others are involved. in decision making. I think Fisher was a good part of the problem. Moving forward McVay gives Snead a clearer and better vision for what the Rams are and will be. Let's see how Les does this time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Re: the draft and our needs, things are indeed stacked relatively nicely for us with the exception of Center. It's going to be hard to predict when these guys go due to the depth of multiple defensive positions as well as WR, RB, and TE, because some teams might elect to reach a bit for the offensive lineman they want and then sit back and play to the strengths of the draft the rest of the way.

GMs are going to be looking at strength of projected combos, so yeah I am very concerned about Center right now. He's going to have a very hard time estimating how that plays out.

As far as the rebuild is concerned, the key is going to be Goff and McVay. Goff because they aren't going to do anything if he doesn't come into camp with an ability to call plays in the huddle and be set up to win the respect of the line and wideouts. McVay because he is going to have to be the head coach while also upgrading what was a horrible scheme and gameplanning effort last year.

If Goff is not the guy they thought he was, the Rams are going to need a true rebuild. Because I don't think Mannion is more than a backup, just my .02 cents on the dude. So he is critical in terms of time and getting a winning product on the field prior to the stadium being built.

McVay is actually the biggest piece though. If they hit on him all will be well, just a matter of whether it shows right out the gate or down the line a bit.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In the Jared Goff & contacts with players.

What is the rule exactly ? They can give them players or contact with them through wi-if,phone, internet ??
Check out how this is a seriously researched topic.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/11/offseason-rules-in-full-force/
The rules appear in Article 21, Section 2 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Before the launch of the offseason program, players can’t participate in Club-supervised workouts, practices, group, or individual meetings with coaches, group or individual film study with coaches, or group or individual playbook study with coaches. This provision is the origin of periodic comments from coaches regarding their inability to communicate with players in the offseason.....

Players nevertheless are allowed to work out in the team facility, with strength and conditioning coaches prevented from supervising workouts but permitted into supervise the weight room to prevent injury and correct misuse of the equipment. And plenty of players prefer to stay in shape that way, given the fact that it’s both familiar and free.

Regardless of the rules, football coaches who want to talk to their players will surely find a way to do it. In the five years since the new rules were promulgated, no coach ever has been accused to talking to players more than he should. Players who are truly committed to winning will do whatever they have to do, exercising discretion while also planning for an opportunity to compete more effectively in the coming season.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...trictions-hurting-quarterback-development-nfl
One of the NFL Players Association's big "wins" during its negotiation with the league on the 2011 collective bargaining agreement was a reduction in offseason practice time. Five weeks were shaved off the schedule. Limits were placed on how much time players could spend watching film or working with coaches.

For players looking to limit physical exposure, the rules made sense. For quarterbacks? It's the opposite.
.........By the end of the 10-year CBA, an entire generation of quarterbacks will have lost invaluable time with coaches learning the nuances of the position. And there is no way around it. A first offense for violating the practice rules comes with a $100,000 fine for the head coach, a $250,000 fine for the team, along with a cancellation of the team's next week of organized team activities. For a second offense in the same offseason, the league will fine the head coach $250,000 and the team $500,000 and dock the team a fourth-round draft pick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ng-offseasons-workout-and-contact-regulations
  • Phase 1: Players can undergo strength and conditioning, rehabilitation from injuries and nothing else during this period. This phase lasts two weeks.

• Phase 2: On-field instruction and drills are allowed, but contact is not permitted and offensive and defensive players cannot be pitted against one another in drills. This phase lasts three weeks.

• Phase 3: Teams are permitted 10 days of OTAs. Again, contact isn't allowed but seven-on-seven, nine-on-seven and 11-on-11 drills are allowed. This phase lasts four weeks, and teams are also allowed to hold a mandatory veteran minicamp during this time.
Teams are also allowed to hold a rookie football development program over the course of seven weeks, including a rookie minicamp.

For many players, then, the OTAs are a chance to get acclimated with a system, while for teams it's the opportunity to see how players might fit into the scheme.

http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1550442.html
https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL-Offseason-Workout-Program-Dates-Announced.aspx
LOS ANGELES First Day: April 18

OTA Offseason Workouts: May 31, June 1, June 3, June 7-8, June 10

Mandatory Minicamp: June 14-16
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/02/13/2017-nfl-key-offseason-dates/97853560/

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
McSnead has made it clear they want a vet at center. They will probably draft one, but they're going to get a vet even if they have to wait for final cuts after TC.