Bonsignore: Rams feeling the impact of of good decisions and good fortune

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bonsignore: Rams feeling the impact of of good decisions and good fortune

correction_colts_rams_football_24486524.jpg

Rams coach Sean McVay, seen here in a happy exchange with punter Johnny Hekker, says his team has ‘a lot of good stuff going on right now.’ (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE | vbonsignore@scng.com | Daily News
PUBLISHED: November 4, 2017 at 12:31 pm | UPDATED: November 4, 2017 at 12:46 pm

EAST RUTHERFORD NJ — Assuming the weather experts got it right, a steady and comfortable 63-degree, partly cloudy afternoon will be the conditions welcoming the Rams when they play the Giants at MetLife Stadium on Sunday.

In other words, pretty darn near perfect given the location, time of year, and the far worse possibilities that could have confronted them.

It’s not a big thing in the whole scheme of things. The Rams with the sixth-best rushing attack, seventh-best run defense and sound special teams are built to succeed in all weather conditions.

But it is further proof of the charmed life they’ve inexplicably enjoyed over the last 10 months, the one that’s turned all their coaching and personnel decisions into towering home runs or screaming doubles off the wall and wrapped a protective shield around them to ward off major injuries.

Call it lady luck or good fortune of the Football Gods looking over them, but the Rams under new coach Sean McVay have suddenly transformed themselves into an efficient outfit for which sound personnel decisions, insightful coaching and effective execution is accompanied by a particularly fortuitous sort of karma.

And in the process, reached 5-2 for the first time since 2003 and, the way things are lining up, appear a good bet to soar to 7-2 before entering a teethy part of the schedule that includes showdowns against division leaders in the Vikings, Eagles, Saints and Seahawks.

“I think there’s a lot of good stuff going on right now and that’s what it is,” McVay said. “I think we want to try to keep that momentum going and how you do that is you take things one day at a time, one game at a time.”

Maybe it’s just because it’s been so long since the Rams have fielded a winning team we forget how the good ones are built to outwork, outwit or outmaneuver misfortune. If not spit in the eye of it when confronted.

But in a season in which McVay has emerged as a home run hire, Jared Goff is on track to being a franchise quarterback, Todd Gurley is securely positioned as an MVP candidate and every new addition from Andrew Whitworth to Cooper Kupp has been a worthwhile and timely asset, it’s hard not to dismiss the various other positive forces working on the Rams behalf.

Like the nearly clean bill of health they’ve enjoyed all season.

Aside from starting safety Cody Davis, who landed on the injured reserve list Friday, the Rams have sidestepped major injuries. And when they have taken the field at less than full strength — safety Lamarcus Joyner and cornerback Kayvon Webster both missed multiple games — capable replacements like Nickell Robey-Coleman and John Johnson provided the necessary relief.

Their injury report for Sunday is as pristine as its been all year. In fact, the biggest issue is finding a spot for running back Lance Dunbar, who returned to practice this week after spending all year on the Physically Unable to Perform list dealing with a knee injury. The Rams will decide over the next two weeks whether to add him to the active roster or put him on season-ending injured reserve.

Talk about new world problems. The Rams are in such good health, they’ll have to juggle just to make room for another weapon.

“Knock on wood, but usually you’re having to deal with some injuries, especially at the running back spot,” McVay said. “Where now it provides a great opportunity for Lance to come in, kind of serve as the role we envision in the first place. We’ve got a lot of playmakers who have stayed healthy and are available, so it’s a positive problem.”

In contrast the Giants have been decimated by injuries this year — wide receivers Odell Beckham Jr., Dwayne Harris, and Brandon Marshall are out for the season — and will be without six other key players on Sunday.

Including five starters.

Linebackers B.J. Goodson (ankle) and Jonathan Casillas (neck), right tackle Justin Pugh (back), center Weston Richburg (concussion) and defensive ends Olivier Vernon (ankle) and Kerry Wynn (knee) were all ruled out for Sunday’s game.

As a result, a game that leaned organically the Rams’ way to start the week is now decisively tilted in their direction. Provided they avoid any costly mistakes, it would be considered a massive disappointment if they leave New Jersey anything worse than 6-2 Sunday night.

“I think one thing we look at is, what’s our record when we won the turnover margin? And it’s 5-0,” Goff pointed out. “The two games we’ve lost, we’ve lost turnovers. I think if we continue to take care of the ball and the defense keeps playing the way that they are, we’ll be happy with what we’re doing.”

It’s why McVay preached a focused, careful approach this week. The Giants might be wounded, but if the Rams don’t come correct it won’t matter.

“I think what you talk about is that one of the things you realize about this league is that it’s one day at a time, one game at a time and if you don’t take that mindset and mentality, you get humbled very quickly,” McVay said. “It’s so competitive, there’s so many good players and coaches all around that anything – you hear the term, ‘Any given Sunday.’

“But, it’s true because regardless of the records, it’s why you see different outcomes occur every single week because there is such a competitive balance in this league with great players, great coaching and especially with going on the road, playing in a tough atmosphere at MetLife Stadium and then especially just with the previous experience that I have going against this team, they’ll be ready to go and we need to be ready as well if we’re going to come away with a win.”

The Rams have done everything right over the last 10 months. Either as a result of (or perhaps as a reward for) the Football Gods looking down kindly on them.

[www.ocregister.com]

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Story could have been half as long. The meat of it is that the Rams with their health and their talent should beat an injury ridden Giants team in nice weather. Not doing so would be a disappointment. The Rams should be 7-2 when they meet the really difficult part of their schedule.

1054 word story vs 53 words above.....Now add some style in writing the piece, but the way the story was flowing as though he was describing a fairy tale, end of season, success story (during much of it). Maybe the editor keeps telling Vinny to stretch it out some to fill copy space?

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Story could have been half as long. The meat of it is that the Rams with their health and their talent should beat an injury ridden Giants team in nice weather. Not doing so would be a disappointment. The Rams should be 7-2 when they meet the really difficult part of their schedule.

1054 word story vs 53 words above.....Now add some style in writing the piece, but the way the story was flowing as though he was describing a fairy tale, end of season, success story (during much of it). Maybe the editor keeps telling Vinny to stretch it out some to fill copy space?

I hear what your saying but let me offer this:

Boy meets girl. Boy and girl fall in love. Boy and girl die.

So I just summed up Romeo and Juliet.

Just saying...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hear what your saying but let me offer this:

Boy meets girl. Boy and girl fall in love. Boy and girl die.

So I just summed up Romeo and Juliet.

Just saying...
Classic summation!:rockon:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Got no probs reading long-winded articles when they're about my team!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Vinny gets paid by the counts....or is it called threads...or something? Lines...????:dizzy: