Bonsignore: Rams feeling right at home in Thousand Oaks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams feeling right at home in Thousand Oaks

AR-170519364.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

The Los Angeles Rams practiced last fall at Cal Lutheran. (Photo by Michael Owen Baker, file)

By Vincent Bonsignore, Los Angeles Daily News

The sun beamed majestically off Mt. Clef peeking over the Rams team headquarters in Thousand Oaks recently, offering a soothing, peaceful setting from which the tasks of building and preparing a football team can be conducted.

It’s been more than a year since the Rams officially returned home to Los Angeles from St. Louis, and while the L.A. Coliseum will host their 10 home games per season until their new stadium in Inglewood opens in 2019, make no mistake, their day-to-day home base for now and likely the foreseeable future is nestled in Southwestern Ventura County some 35 miles away from downtown Los Angeles.

And for at least the next two years – or before they secure the necessary nearby land to build permanent headquarters – their football operations will be housed at the sprawling facility they’ve constructed at the northwest corner of Cal Lutheran University, and their business affairs will be conducted at offices they’ve commandeered 11 miles away in Agoura Hills.

So for now, this is home. And as the days and weeks and months pass by, the feeling of belonging grows stronger and stronger.

“Tell you what,” Rams general manager Les Snead said recently as he strolled the serine surroundings of his team’s football operation base. “I get it the new facility we eventually build will be beautiful with all the bells and whistles and modern amenities. “But it’s going to be hard to top what we have here as far as a setting. This is pretty nice right here.”

The desire to find a space conducive to quality work was part of the reason the Rams immediately honed in on the Thousand Oaks area as a home base. Cal Lutheran, in particular, jumped onto their radar after University President Mike Kimball cold called the Rams last year to pitch them on CLU has a training site.

“Because the Cowboys were here back in the day, there were folks around here saying: ‘Hey, you should get the Rams here just like the old days for the Cowboys’” Kimball remembers. “Which definitely made sense. Our thought was we’d try to attract them here for summer camp, just like the Cowboys.”

And that’s what Kimball initially proposed.

But the Rams were already looking south to Orange County for a training camp home, eliminating that as an option. The ultimately they decided on UC Irvine.

On the other hand, they were hoping to find space in the San Fernando Valley or Ventura county for their in-season home headquarters.

“I was like: ‘Ohh, OK. I’d never really thought about it along those terms.’” Kimball said.

The Rams were initially skeptical there was enough space on the CLU campus to build a suitable facility. But Kimball convinced them there was sufficient space tucked away behind their baseball and softball fields – and unseen from the main roads that bracket campus - backed up to Mt. Clef.

That led to Kimball giving team executives a tour of the available space, and soon after the ball got rolling toward a toward a two-year deal between the club and the school that included three one-year options that could extend the Rams stay at CLU to five years.

As part of the agreement, the Rams paid for and constructed two practice fields,paved a parking lot and built temporary modular buildings containing offices, training areas and locker rooms on the northwest corner of the campus.

The city of Thousand Oaks approved construction of the fields and parking lot as part of Cal Lutheran’s master plan, with the Rams turning everything back over to the university when they move to their permanent home.

“We are excited to partner with Cal Lutheran to use their exceptional campus as the temporary home for team facilities that will be outstanding for our players and football staff,” Rams Chief Operating Officer and Executive Vice President Kevin Demoff. “The Rams look forward to becoming an integral part of the Cal Lutheran and Thousand Oaks communities as we establish our roots in Southern California.”

The CLU facility is ample enough to house 130 athletes, coaches, trainers and other staff members. It officially opened last September, and is now a fully functioning year-round hub in which the Rams conduct offseason workouts and mini camps and all practice and recuperation functions during the regular season.

In addition, the Rams are offering opportunities to the Cal Lutheran community, including internships for students, while their operations are based on campus.

From the moment the agreement was announced, CLU’s world changed.

“I always joke that we’ve been here 50-plus years doing great education, but we got more attention from the Rams than we’ve got total any way else.” Kimball said. “The visibility is has been great.

A year later, the relationship is as strong as ever.

“From a University perspective, we could not ask for a better partner,” Kimball said. “They’ve been terrific. It’s just been great.

“Obviously, from our standpoint, when they move to their permanent home, we inherit all the stuff they’ve built and that’s great value for us,” Kimball continued. “But that’s down the line. In the meantime, they’ve been terrific in employing our students with internships. Their staff members have come talked to our classes and had groups go up to their facility to take a look around. So they’ve really been great partners for us in that way whether you’re talking sports management or sports broadcasting and that type of stuff. Which is great.

“And obviously the more time our name shows up in the papers and on TV, it’s great for us. It’s visibility.

Even before they were approved for relocation in January of 2016, the Rams had their eye on the west end of the San Fernando Valley and Ventura county for various reasons.

The need for open, continuous land with which to build the necessary facilities to train a football team led them to this part of Southern California, where land is more available. And the lower cost of living north of Los Angeles would make it easier for staff members making the move from St. Louis to Los Angeles to comfortably settle in.

Keep in mind, Los Angeles area housing market is three to four times as high as St. Louis, with a recent study by the National Association of Realtors indicating the median Los Angeles house sales price at $458,900 compared to $140,000 in St. Louis.

And with the Rams bringing so many staff members with them from Missouri, they wanted to make the transition as easy as possible by settling in a more affordable region.

The team is currently looking for at least 40 to 50 acres in the vicinity to build their permanent offices, although that process figures to unfold over the course of a number of years.

In the meantime, players and staff members have been steadily settling into the neighborhood with a number of players purchasing or renting homes in and around Ventura County and the San Fernando Valley.

The key for most is to be as close to the training facility as possible given the early hours they report to work and the long hours they remain on the premise.

That was the recommendation made to the team by former coach Jeff Fisher, a Southern California native who understood the importance of being within close proximity to counter the hectic traffic situation of Southern California.

Which is why Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, Simi Valley, Westlake, Calabasas and Woodland Hills have been particularly popular landing spots for the players.

And their presence – buying homes, shopping at local stores and frequenting area restaurants now and into the future - figures to help the local economy.

“It’s been a great thing from a community standpoint because again, the visibility factor is significant,” Kimball said. “You have people coming into the area, spending money. You have players and staff buying homes in the area. Their kids are going to local schools. You see them around town, at the stores.

“It’s been a real boon and I know the city is doing everything it can to make this be their permanent home.”

The Rams hope to make that the case long term – they’ve been impressed with the hospitality of local leaders and staff members enjoy the area - and have begun talking to cities in the area about possible options.

Ideally they’d would like to build a headquarters along the lines of the Dallas Cowboys 91-acre facility in Frisco, Texas, in which their corporate offices and football facilities sit amid an entertainment district, offices, a medical center and hotel.

The trick now is finding the necessary land to make it happen.

But for now, Thousand Oaks and Agoura Hills is feeling more and more like home.

[www.dailynews.com]

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Which is why Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, Simi Valley, Westlake, Calabasas and Woodland Hills have been particularly popular landing spots for the players.
I personally recommend " Simi Valley"! Wonderful people live their like me and my wife, and ME and My Grand-Daughter, and ME!!(y):LOL::D

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
How is it they can do OTA's at Cal St. Lutheran but not training camp? They're doing that at Cal St. Irvine 50 miles to the south. that's got to be a bit disruptive.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cal St. Irvine
UC Irvine.....but I feel ya...Why not stay there? Fans will be built by WINNING.

they should feel at home...

funny they didn't wanna build a training facility in El Segundo? I mean the Raiders were there...less heat & smog closer to the coast? Is Thousand Oaks near a beach? I hear they wanna sue to keep the Rams out there also...

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
UC Irvine.....but I feel ya...Why not stay there? Fans will be built by WINNING.

they should feel at home...

funny they didn't wanna build a training facility in El Segundo? I mean the Raiders were there...less heat & smog closer to the coast? Is Thousand Oaks near a beach? I hear they wanna sue to keep the Rams out there also...

Thousand Oaks and Westlake Village are a close drive through the canyons to Malibu. The weather there is the best in Socal IMO. Never gets above the low 90s when its blazing hot in the valley and you get a nice coastal breeze that blows in when the sun goes down. I'd build my mega complex there too.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry bastids totally overlooked Whittier...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Thousand Oaks and Westlake Village are a close drive through the canyons to Malibu. The weather there is the best in Socal IMO. Never gets above the low 90s when its blazing hot in the valley and you get a nice coastal breeze that blows in when the sun goes down. I'd build my mega complex there too.
You nailed it!!All personal bias aside, the type of weather and location are perfect for the Rams!(y):yay::yess:

ninedeuce

Rookie
How is it they can do OTA's at Cal St. Lutheran but not training camp? They're doing that at Cal St. Irvine 50 miles to the south. that's got to be a bit disruptive.

I believe part of it has to with marketing and trying to build a fan base in affluent Orange County. I imagine that having open practices and being accessible to residents for training camp helps their exposure.

Also, wasn't it a thing back in the day for training to be far away? I read somewhere that old school coaches liked having training camp away from the regular facilities. I remember Vermiel and later Martz saying that they liked being in Macomb because of the whole team bonding thing. Didn't Lenihan take the team to Wisconsin the year he got fired? Ya, that didn't work.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Talk about a screwed up drive. Have been making that drive since dating a gal there for 2 years. Basic 2 hr drive during the day .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Royal High is the closest to ware I live! It's 4 blocks away!

Nice - my ex-girlfriends Boyz are graduating from each school this year. Royal just had prom ite last night.

I was wondering about the views from Cal Lu ? I'm out in the OC. My dad before he past lived off university in Newport . I got to a couple training camps there.

Are you going to the Cajun Festiville this year ? Saturday & Sunday . I heard they jacked it up with VIP stuff this year. Still a good time. I'm 50/50 on going. If I do go I'm sure to have a couple beer tickets

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nice - my ex-girlfriends Boyz are graduating from each school this year. Royal just had prom ite last night.

I was wondering about the views from Cal Lu ? I'm out in the OC. My dad before he past lived off university in Newport . I got to a couple training camps there.

Are you going to the Cajun Festiville this year ? Saturday & Sunday . I heard they jacked it up with VIP stuff this year. Still a good time. I'm 50/50 on going. If I do go I'm sure to have a couple beer tickets
The views at Cal Luth are really nice! As long as you get there early!!

As Far as the Cajon Festiville in Simi Valley goes, it's the Cities Biggest annual event! My wife and I never miss it, if we don't have something pre-planned! It's held in the cities Biggest Park, but so many people come it's always terrible finding a parking spot!
That said, there is always lots of food, Gift Stands, Great music and Dancing! Seating around the Dance floor is always hard to find! If you've never been to one, you'll love it!
I don't know if I'm going this year or not, it depends on weather or not my wife has to work! She usually works week-ends!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

As Far as the Cajon Festiville in Simi Valley goes, it's the Cities Biggest annual event! My wife and I never miss it, if we don't have something pre-planned! It's held in the cities Biggest Park, but so many people come it's always terrible finding a parking spot!
That said, there is always lots of food, Gift Stands, Great music and Dancing! Seating around the Dance floor is always hard to find! If you've never been to one, you'll love it!
I don't know if I'm going this year or not, it depends on weather or not my wife has to work! She usually works week-ends!

Maybe will see you there or cross in passing. I was there 2 years ago & saw Big Bad Voddo Daddy. Wanted to go last year & see Eric the animal.

Dwayne Dopsie is always good. Each year the gal I was with has talked with him. The guitarist is a real big boy , but man he jams. Then the guys scratching there boards get down.
- The Cajun food sets the tone.The Park has a lot of meaning to this gal. I've ran in the park a couple months ago. Love hiking hummingbird. Shop at that Smart & Final right there on LA & Stearns.
Worked out in those 24hrs a few times as well.Simi Valley is all right for the Valley. OC & the beach. Venture though has some nice beach areas for sure though.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Royal High is the closest to ware I live! It's 4 blocks away!

Was at Cronies watching the Steelers Rams game. Had a real big Bet on Rams 8 or more wins. Barron laid out Big Ben & place was full of Steeler fans. Vick was back up QB.
Lance Kendrick missed that wide open TD catch. I stood up talking to the TV about to put my hands up for a TD. Then it was like, want to get away.

Fisher & The Rams have been so much better than anyone wants to give them credit for. Robert Quinn adds so much to the defense when healthy. Really geeked up to see what he does in Wade's defense.
--- I really hated D Williams defense , because it always broken down when The Rams had the lead. I was at TGIF's watching Gurley bust a 70 yes TD against The 9ers.

--Went to Vegas last season only to lose big against The 9ers on Monday & also O7 1/2 again for season. When The Rams were 3-1 I thought it was going to be easy. Man they lost a lot of close games & team quit on Fisher after Saints game. ---Goff factor ?? Or Greg Robinson ??? Maybe it was Payton rubbing it in on D Williams. Total butt kicking.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
---Goff factor ?? Or Greg Robinson ??? Maybe it was Payton rubbing it in on D Williams. Total butt kicking.
I just read an article, didn't save the link, that talked about, who the writer thought, where the 15 Biggest Bust potentials for 2017. Four of them where Rams.
* Goff
* Tavon Austin
* Gurley
* Greg Robinson
It hurt! I Laughed, but it hurt!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I just read an article, didn't save the link, that talked about, who the writer thought, where the 15 Biggest Bust potentials for 2017. Four of them where Rams.
* Goff
* Tavon Austin
* Gurley
* Greg Robinson
It hurt! I Laughed, but it hurt!

Sorry for all the man love toward your post lately.

From mho ?

Goff -- the rumors were true about him coming out of a spread offense were he did not take snaps. He also had a bad back up center in (? Coch the guy that went to Bears) , plus as Snead said Goff was not getting most of the reps.The truth is the OC was a joke.Should be a good season.

Tavon - flat out got over paid. The Rams (Fisher) thought to high of him . That being said Tavon will only get better & is a playmaker. McVay will help make him successful.

Gurley had his Soohmore thing. In Gurley The Rams trust. Dumber will be an exciting addition to the backfield. Rogers will be a pro' pro. Swiss army type.

Greg Robinson will get coached up. The truth will be told on his future as a Ram. Contract year. RT next to Big Rob Hav should be a powerful combo.
The LT & LG are a solid combo in there own right.

Anyway Inthink the youth movement has already happened. Now is about growing the group together. I like the depth on the offensive line.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Was coming from Palm Springs. If I pushed the issue . I would have gone. In fact I had Catre Blanz to the house just south of Simi Valley high. Will run in the park soon. Would have been about Dwayne Dopsie today.
Today(Sunday) looked like the best day.

Was wondering if you went ? I know you were Trying to get to OTA's. Might be coming out to Simi tomorrow., Is there an open practice Tuesday.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Was coming from Palm Springs. If I pushed the issue . I would have gone. In fact I had Catre Blanz to the house just south of Simi Valley high. Will run in the park soon. Would have been about Dwayne Dopsie today.
Today(Sunday) looked like the best day.

Was wondering if you went ? I know you were Trying to get to OTA's. Might be coming out to Simi tomorrow., Is there an open practice Tuesday.
Unfortunately haven't been able to make it over to the OTA's yet!